Sunday lunch

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
blenkinsop

Re: Sunday lunch

Postby blenkinsop » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:39 pm

There's no contest for best bakery, and I suspect the best coffee will be in a soon to be opened national chain cafe.

The estate agent hype has oversold Chorlton for years, to the extent that some residents are fooled into believing. The sooner there is more professional, quality competition in Chorlton - the better.

oswaldgold

Postby oswaldgold » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:33 pm

still_ill wrote:
oswaldgold wrote:The parlour is massively overrated because it's on beech rd and everything has to be brilliant on beech rd so that it gives another reason for you to mention that you live near beech rd.....

In terms of quality the electrik Sunday roast is far better, particularly the dexter beef.

Aside from the fact that Elektrik is owned by people who live on Beech Road, and largely full of Beech Road couples and their kids, it's dark, dingy, smells of urine, the staff are nowhere near as friendly or knowledgeable, the range of alcohol is much narrower, the pumps aren't maintained well, and the music's too loud. Aside from that, yeah, it's great.

1: it's not
2: i've never noticed.
3: see 2
4: i dont bother asking them about roast potatoes
5: my roast dinners dont usually come out of pumps
6: the jukebox is excellent, but i suppose there's no accounting for taste

aside from that, yeah, your post was great - and 100% relevant to my comment about the quality of roast dinners.

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:00 pm

blenkinsop wrote:There's no contest for best bakery, and I suspect the best coffee will be in a soon to be opened national chain cafe.

You are kidding re. the coffee aren't you? It's going to be Costa - purveyors of poor quality, overroasted, underpacked watery coffee to the undiscerning. I have nothing against large brands per se but to assume something is better quality just because it is a large brand is a bit naive.

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:26 pm

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think Costa Coffee tastes ok, and it's consistent. What I don't like is the price, but I bet if you are unhappy with your coffee at Costa, they will change it for you, or give you a refund and apology. Elsewhere, that may not be the case, and certainly not with a smile.

Coffee in Chorlton is all over the place, from watery p*ss, to an inky mess. Even bean to cup machines (which should be foolproof), are being cocked up. A well known deli always serves me up half a paper cup of latte, and that 'coffee festival' is just so much marketing guff, along with many other 'events' in Chorlton.

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:39 pm

There are plenty of independent coffee shops in Chorlton, and some of them might not serve perfect coffee or be perfect employers but do we really need Costa's corporate sharkishness? Here's a recent advert from Costa Coffee in Eastleigh, Hampshire:

Staff wanted … 20 hours a week. MUST BE FREE 6AM TO 9PM, SEVEN DAYS A WEEK

All the disadvantages of full time work (and more) and none of the full time salary. This really isn't necessary is it? It's possible to, you know, draw up rotas like we used to in the good old days so that people can plan to do things like go to the dentist, get married or arrange school pick-ups. I realise that this kind of arrangement might be tolerable for some people, in some situations, for a certain amount of time, but surely we don't have to accept it as normal employment practice?

Rob

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:31 pm

blenkinsop wrote:You are entitled to your opinion, but I think Costa Coffee tastes ok, and it's consistent. What I don't like is the price, but I bet if you are unhappy with your coffee at Costa, they will change it for you, or give you a refund and apology. Elsewhere, that may not be the case, and certainly not with a smile.

Coffee in Chorlton is all over the place, from watery p*ss, to an inky mess. Even bean to cup machines (which should be foolproof), are being cocked up. A well known deli always serves me up half a paper cup of latte, and that 'coffee festival' is just so much marketing guff, along with many other 'events' in Chorlton.

I kinda agree with you about the inconsistency of independents - however, accepting somewhere that;s consistently mediocre and overpriced isn't really much in the way of progress. As for the "well known deli", their coffee has always been shite and I suspect always will be. Once a bakery, always a bakery ....

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:15 pm

Pearl wrote:There are plenty of independent coffee shops in Chorlton, and some of them might not serve perfect coffee or be perfect employers but do we really need Costa's corporate sharkishness? Here's a recent advert from Costa Coffee in Eastleigh, Hampshire:

Staff wanted … 20 hours a week. MUST BE FREE 6AM TO 9PM, SEVEN DAYS A WEEK

All the disadvantages of full time work (and more) and none of the full time salary. This really isn't necessary is it? It's possible to, you know, draw up rotas like we used to in the good old days so that people can plan to do things like go to the dentist, get married or arrange school pick-ups. I realise that this kind of arrangement might be tolerable for some people, in some situations, for a certain amount of time, but surely we don't have to accept it as normal employment practice?

I haven't managed to find the job advert to which you refer, anywhere on the net, and I don't think you will either.

But I do note that you are quoting from a Guardian article, which may have deliberately 'misinterpreted' a Costa advert, to suit the argument the author is presenting.

I can't see anyone working 20 hours spread over 7 days, and most high street Costa Coffee shops appear to be locked up, shutters down, everyone out by 7pm (not 9pm). There may be exceptions.

Sharky or not, a company like Costa (part of Whitbread) is forced to scrupulously apply the law of the land, with minimum wage, pension contributions, holiday pay, bank holiday pay / time off in lieu, maternity leave, paternity leave, sick pay (statutory or otherwise) etc. In addition, the most lowly paid 'team members' can take part in incentive schemes, which offer rewards that are achievable with reasonable effort. I believe share save schemes may also be available. All staff can drink Coffee till it comes out of their ears free of charge, and can buy food instore for 50% of the ticket price. Finally, all staff can have a Whitbread discount card which offers 25% off, at any Whitbread restaurant or hotel.

I am not intentionally praising Costa (I know it looks like it), I am merely presenting another perspective, and certainly without the left wing Guardian bias.

Now then Pearl, which 'Non Sharky' Independent Coffee Shop in Chorlton, offers all of the above to their lowest paid employees?

gitface

Postby gitface » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:30 pm

Why do you care? You don't live here. :?:

t0ria

Postby t0ria » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:44 pm

blenkinsop wrote:I can't see anyone working 20 hours spread over 7 days, and most high street Costa Coffee shops appear to be locked up, shutters down, everyone out by 7pm (not 9pm). There may be exceptions.

Hours like that are surprisingly common- I have been looking for part time work recently and have come across jobs with Sky, AA and BUPA which require you to be available and flexible 7 days a week even when working limited hours of 20-25 per week.

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:02 pm

gitface wrote:Why do you care? You don't live here. :?:

As it happens, I moved back to Chorlton, some 3 months ago. Not that it should be any of your concern. :roll:

annie

Postby annie » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:28 pm

blenkinsop wrote:

As it happens, I moved back to Chorlton, some 3 months ago. Not that it should be any of your concern. :roll:

I wondered what the stench was... that's everyone's concern, Tory Boy.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:41 pm

t0ria wrote:
blenkinsop wrote:I can't see anyone working 20 hours spread over 7 days, and most high street Costa Coffee shops appear to be locked up, shutters down, everyone out by 7pm (not 9pm). There may be exceptions.

Hours like that are surprisingly common- I have been looking for part time work recently and have come across jobs with Sky, AA and BUPA which require you to be available and flexible 7 days a week even when working limited hours of 20-25 per week.

Declaring one's availability to work any day of the week, does not necessarily mean working just less than 3 hours per day, every day of the week, for a total of 20 hours.

Unless you are sat on your @rse doing some kind of work from home, perhaps.

If I'm wrong on this (with specific reference to Costa), I will gladly hold my hands up, and join the chorus of disapproval.
Last edited by blenkinsop on Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:03 pm

annie wrote:
blenkinsop wrote:

I wondered what the stench was... that's everyone's concern, Tory Boy.

What a bitter, abusive, old trout. No doubt smelling of a disgusting combination of cat p*ss, cider and kippers.

Not voted Tory before, but am slowly warming to the idea, just to p*ss off any 'voices of the people' out there.

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:13 pm

blenkinsop wrote:Not voted Tory before, but am slowly warming to the idea, just to p*ss off any 'voices of the people' out there.

Me too.

Edwinacurry

Postby Edwinacurry » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:38 pm

Me too.

Return to “Discussions”