The Lloyd's

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Musicfan

The Lloyd's

Postby Musicfan » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:10 pm

Seems to be open again. Anyone been?

still_ill

Re: The Lloyd's

Postby still_ill » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:51 am

Chorlton pubs and bars have changed too much for the better over the last three or four years that it would never cross my mind to go in there now, same with Bar 4 Eighty, the place next door to that, the Royal Oak, the Spread Eagle, or a couple of others. The chances of getting a good pint are simply very slim, and there are at least a dozen places within walking distance which are much friendlier and more reliable.

It would be nice if somebody could really sort the Lloyds out at some point as it's a fine building and wouldn't require a complete overhaul. The interior wouldn't need much fiddling with at all, they just need to employ some better staff, give their pumps and range a bit more care and thought, and sort the toilets out. Other places locally prove that all folk want is good ale and friendly service; it's not rocket science. I'm sure some of the pubs previously mentioned can still cater for a crowd without necessarily meeting either of those criteria, but Lloyds has failed to do that either for quite some time.

annie

Postby annie » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:08 pm

There were actual builders working in there over the last month or so, so I expect there's a significant makeover.

Definitely worth a look, I'd say.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

Louise

Postby Louise » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:00 pm

Are the toilets all downstairs at the Lloyds?

CharlieB

Postby CharlieB » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:40 pm

Louise wrote:Are the toilets all downstairs at the Lloyds?

If they've managed to sort the toilets out, it will be an engineering feat that Bazalgette would have been proud of.

For the last few years, the gents had to be smelt to be believed. The honk in there could have started a windmill on an old Dutch painting.

I'm going to pop in there, just to see if they've cracked it.

Musicfan

Postby Musicfan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:49 pm

Not sure how sane it is to answer my own question...But had dinner here on Friday. They've got 25% off food and drink vouchers on their website. Decor - much improved though it could get shabby quite quickly. They've managed to sort out the temperature, perhaps a bit too well - it was roasting. The food was decent pub grub and reasonably priced, the voucher helped but even without I'd say it's a fair bit cheaper than the Beech Rd bars. Lacked a bit in atmosphere but I suppose that takes time and there were a lot of staff on which as slightly off putting as each of them seemed to pop by to check we were ok. And finally....loos much improved BUT that Lloyd's stench hasn't gone entirely!

Return to “Discussions”