Did Chorlton ever flood?

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
ash pole

Did Chorlton ever flood?

Postby ash pole » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:01 pm

I'm thinking maybe from the Mersey? There are massive banks there now and the water gets nowhere near the top, but I suppose at one point they weren't there. One of my older neighbours seemed to be rambling on about floods a while back, but it's hard to get much sense out of him.

Just an idle thought during a Sunday stroll.

Phila

Re: Did Chorlton ever flood?

Postby Phila » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:58 pm

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:27 pm

Not for a long time, though Chorlton does lie within the flood plain of the Mersey and Chorlton Brook(!). The Mersey banks were last raised in the 70s, but flood defences have been developed over the last 200 years or so. I believe the Mersey sluice gates (they're visible not far from Jackson's Boat) are opened when the river level gets too high, and water drains into flood storage basins (open fields, Sale Water Park and local golf courses). When rainfall subsides, the water simply drains back into the Mersey.

Water authorities have been known to take credit for effective flood prevention in Manchester. The reality might be that the Manchester Ship Canal (into which the Mersey flows), acts as a huge drainage ditch, for the whole region.

More on the Mersey:
Http://www.salecommunityweb.co.uk/rivermersey.htm

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:40 am

blenkinsop wrote:Water authorities have been known to take credit for effective flood prevention in Manchester. The reality might be that the Manchester Ship Canal (into which the Mersey flows), acts as a huge drainage ditch, for the whole region.

Yes, I think the ship canal was cunningly designed in the nineteenth century to include quite sophisticated flood control systems. What Manchester does today, the world does tomorrow.

fiz67

Postby fiz67 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:26 pm

they tend to flood a golf course up river at northenden when the river get too high - plus just along from Jackson boat is a bit flood gate there is a small plague that tells how its done they flood the fields behind it - a lot of chorlton was build on marsh land - drained obviously

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:09 pm

fiz67 wrote: .... a lot of chorlton was build on marsh land - drained obviously

What's the difference between being built on drained marsh land and being built on a flood plain?

Is drained marsh land at risk of flooding?

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:29 pm

I'd be more concerned about the deadly, infectious disease (albeit small), in the vicinity of Jackson's Boat. :o

Return to “Discussions”