THREADS

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
freeguitarlesson

THREADS

Postby freeguitarlesson » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:48 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcTcNxl-Vl8

Just incase anyone wasn't terrified by it first time round or has missed it in the intervening 30 years...

In which nuclear war breaks out after a country's government collapses and Russia sends in troops to protect their interests, claiming that the US helped instigate the government change.

Sleep tight!
"Your optimism strikes me like junk mail addressed to the dead..."

Louise

Re: THREADS

Postby Louise » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:56 pm

I liked the fact that one actress is credited as "Woman who urinates herself" It was probably the highlight of her career.

It was namby pamby compared with the original "The War Game" which was unbroadcast for 25 years as the government deemed it too shocking.

blenkinsop

Re: THREADS

Postby blenkinsop » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:48 pm

'Tis true that War Game was classed as too 'horrifying' to be broadcast by the BBC in 1965, and was not shown in full on TV until 1985.

It was however released for Cinema distribution in 1965, and won an Academy award for best documentary feature. Starred Michael Aspel btw.

I was more shocked / awestruck with a film by the same director (Peter Watkins) called Culloden, filmed in a similar style. Very uncomfortable viewing, all the more because it is (allegedly) factually based.

If Alex Salmond has his head screwed on, he would use Culloden alongside Braveheart, in his campaign for Scots independence. The sheer brutality of the English army led by the German 'Butcher' Duke of Cumberland, is not for the faint hearted.

Return to “Discussions”