Streaming of movies question?

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Sarah_B

Streaming of movies question?

Postby Sarah_B » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:05 pm

I was wondering if anybody regularly streamed movies from a non-Sky source and what their opinion of it is?

I say non-Sky as I really don't want to pay for their packages; I'm only really considering Netflix or Lovefilm.

At the moment I watch DVDs from Lovefilm (now known as Amazon Prime instant video) which arrive in the post and thought perhaps in time I may stream films instead.

However, I do not have a smart TV and neither an internet enabled blu ray player either so I presume in order to stream films I'd need one of those?

Also in order to stream films do you really need have to fibre optic broadband too? Otherwise is there a lot of buffering?

I'm quite happy receiving my films in the post but thinking ahead to perhaps when my television needs to be replaced (however I do remember most peeps were against smart TVs) so it may be a case of purchasing an internet enabled blu-ray player when my current one breaks down instead. However, if I need fibre optic broadband too then I may just stick to what I've currenty got at the moment and continue to receive my DVDs in the post every week.

Does anyone have any advice they'd like to share?

Sarah_B

Re: Streaming of movies question?

Postby Sarah_B » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:17 pm

I do remember I asked this question re: smart televisions so I guess regarding my broadband question then yes fibre optic is better but if I have 6-8MB then that should be OK.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4564&p=50339&hilit=smart+television#p50339

Re-reading the post above as I don't want to mess about with trying to get audio from my old laptop I think it's a case of a new laptop with audio or a new wi-fi enabled blu-ray player depending on which device breaks down first.

However, just interested to hear people's experiences of Lovefilm or Netflix (via streaming) if anyone uses either of them?

FurFoxAche

Postby FurFoxAche » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:21 pm

I've had a Netflix account for ages and I use it a lot. It is a bit hit and miss in terms of movies available but great for US tv series. I've got an iPad, iPhone, android phone, smart tv and a ps3 which all allow me to watch on them. You can now buy internet dongle type devices which plug into your tv and allow you to access them over your wifi. The google chromecast came out last week which allows access to that and quite a bit more... It also mirrors your phone or tablet device if you want that too. You can watch HD films through Netflix and love film with as little as a 2/3mbps connection. Mine is quoted as 15mbps (not fibre) but when it is throttled during peak times I can still easily stream films at 2/3mbps.

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:47 pm

FurFoxAche wrote:You can now buy internet dongle type devices which plug into your tv and allow you to access them over your wifi. The google chromecast came out last week which allows access to that and quite a bit more...

The internet dongle type device which plugs into my TV sounds like something I might be interested in purchasing .... however I hope it is a lot better than the dongles that people use to access the internet as I never hear a good thing said about them?

Google chromecast? Never heard of that either ... but wow after a simple google search I think this would be ideal for me. However, I see at the moment it's not compatible with Lovefilm/Amazon but I'm sure it will be in time.

Thank you FurFoxAche.

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:34 pm

After a phone call to Lovefilm/Amazon Prime Instant Video doesn't look like Google Chromecast will be compatible anytime soon .... however the helpful gentleman on the phone suggested Roku instead.

Has anybody used a Roku streaming device? However, I think I need to check if it's compatible with Lovefilm/Amazon PIV first.

I've asked Lovefilm/Amazon PIV for devices I could stream their films on however I'm wary that they will suggest something which is connected to them. Does anyone stream Lovefilm films with the kind of device I'm looking for? Happy to pay up to £50 for something .. more than that and will think about it.

FurFoxAche

Postby FurFoxAche » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:31 pm

Just had a quick look, but I don't think roku supports love film. You can buy a refurb sony play station 3 for £89 from play.com and it opens up a whole host of other opportunities such as blu rays and gaming etc... You get I player and all that jazz on it too.

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:23 pm

Thank you FurFoxAche.

I thought I'd ask Sony directly and on getting out my blu ray player manual it would appear my blu ray player is internet enabled (but not with wi fi).

I have the Sony Blu Ray player BDPS1100 and it would appear this is compatible with Lovefilm (on reading this review):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1ALH4MI ... H4MI9SOHBO

It'll be a bit of a pain having to connect my blu ray player to the internet using a LAN cable but will give it a go and then if this all works fine then in time I might look for a wifi enabled blu ray player that has Lovefilm/Amazon PIV on it.

Thanks again for your help.

FuriousStyles

Postby FuriousStyles » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:25 pm

I switched from LoveFilm to Netflix and find it FAR superior, both in terms of stream quality and content. My recommendation would be to do the same and get a chromecast.

FurFoxAche

Postby FurFoxAche » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:26 am

I've not used lovefilm, but I do really like Netflix. Their interface works really well and I've never had a problem with the quality of the streaming. We've watched the entire 8 seasons of Dexter on Netflix, Heroes, Lost, House of Cards and countless films. We will soon be starting on Breaking Bad, which I'm looking forward to.

Mr Squirrel

Postby Mr Squirrel » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:08 pm

We use both Netflix and i-Player on a Samsung Smart TV with a wifi dongle. We have ordinary broadband via TalkTalk and a wireless router and it works fine.
A short attention span is very... Oh look, chocolate!

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:00 pm

I have been able to set up my blu ray player to receive both Lovefilm/Amazon and Netflix (currently on the one month free trial with Netflix).

My initial thoughts are that neither Lovefilm/Amazon nor Netflix streaming has the same selection as the Lovefilm/Amazon collection of DVDs so just providing feedback to conclude the thread I think I will continue with Amazon/Lovefilm (without the streaming option) but pay for Netflix (£5.99 a month) as they have some very good television series that are not available in either format (streaming nor DVD) yet on Lovefilm/Amazon.

Anything I would have done differently with the benefit of hindsight - I wish, a little while back, I had bought a Sony Blu Ray player that was wifi enabled but pleasantly surprised to see that I did not need to purchase a Chromecast or other device to get both of these streaming options.

Thank you for your replies and especially FurFoxAche.

bufty1

Postby bufty1 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:58 pm

Cartoon HD - get it on your iphone.

Watched Wolf of Wall Street, Gravity and 10 years a slave for free in the comfort of my own own home last weekend...if you have an apple tv stream it from your iphone app on to your tv. No sign up / registration etc Apple got rid if the app from App Store but its still available...swear_words_not_allowed net flix...

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:51 am

bufty1 wrote: ...if you have an apple tv stream it from your iphone app on to your tv. No sign up / registration etc Apple got rid if the app from App Store but its still available...swear_words_not_allowed net flix...

I think you're right bufty1 - from the conversations I've had this week this seems to be the way to go hence my other thread which I started this evening. However, I don't have apple tv so am wondering at the moment if the cable I posted a link to is all I need to stream or do I need to get an apple tv box? I don't want to use apps but have the freedom to stream from websites.

Return to “Discussions”