Places to eat / drink in town this week

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
gitface
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:40 pm

Places to eat / drink in town this week

Postby gitface » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:21 am

So, I have about 15 people visiting at work this week. All week. They're all staying in hotels in town, and apparently it's my job to show them the sights of Manchester. I'm blanking on where to take them, so - suggestions anyone? Ideally need a restaurant / food place and a nearby pub / bar, for every night this week. Short of wandering aimlessly round the NQ I'm at a loss for really good ideas. They're all European, and are mostly in their late 20s / early 30s.

Thanks folks...

KingNailer
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:58 am

Re: Places to eat / drink in town this week

Postby KingNailer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:51 am

city arms and the vine
mulligans
corbierres

User avatar
t0ria
Posts: 884
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Chorlton

Re: Places to eat / drink in town this week

Postby t0ria » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:50 pm

Solita for food, The Castle for beer.

blenkinsop
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:20 pm

Re: Places to eat / drink in town this week

Postby blenkinsop » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:56 pm

San Carlo, King St West. Possibly the best Italian restaurant in Manchester, then back down to earth at Wetherspoons (Moon Under Water), down the road on Deansgate.

ollie_the_brave
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:00 pm
Location: Chorlton

Re: Places to eat / drink in town this week

Postby ollie_the_brave » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:02 pm

The Marble Arch on Rochdale Rd for food and drink (pubs don't come much better than this or much more British). I'm guessing that it would be good to show them a proper British pub?
The City Arms for drinks ditto the Britons Protection good solid British pubs.
Possibly a curry but short of Ackbars where I've been recently I've not been for curry in town for ages - it was good though.
Lust Liquor and Burn for burgers etc
Odd bar is usually OK for food and drink

If you want somewhere classy Manchester House is very good, although I'm guessing with a group that size you've little chance of booking anywhere now.

Good luck.

User avatar
bacononthebeech
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Places to eat / drink in town this week

Postby bacononthebeech » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:55 pm

This is what I'd do if it were me;
Monday; Almost Famous for burgers & Brewdog for beer.
Tuesday; Lust Luck Liquor & Burn for tacos etc, drinks in The Castle Hotel, Fringe, The Marble, Port street beer house.
Wednesday; Solita or Rosylee tea rooms for food. Cocktails in Dusk till Pawn.
Thursday; Drinks in town. Curry in Mughli Rusholme, easily the best Indian in Manchester.
Friday; Mr Coopers House & Garden (bar & restaurant) for food.
Cocktails in Manchester House & Cloud 23.

Booking essential for most except LLLB and AF where you can't book so you're better going there early week as it's quieter.
http://www.bacononthebeech.com/
Twitter @Bacononthebeech

gitface
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:40 pm

Re: Places to eat / drink in town this week

Postby gitface » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:49 pm

You're my hero Mr. Bacon. I'd petty well decided on LLLB for tonight, as I wasn't sure if AF had reopened after the fire. Apart from that, I'll use a mix of your suggestions and everyone else's. I forgot I'd planned to show them Rusholme. Thursday's a good call for that .

Cheers all!

User avatar
bacononthebeech
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Places to eat / drink in town this week

Postby bacononthebeech » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:23 pm

gitface wrote:You're my hero Mr. Bacon. I'd petty well decided on LLLB for tonight, as I wasn't sure if AF had reopened after the fire. Apart from that, I'll use a mix of your suggestions and everyone else's. I forgot I'd planned to show them Rusholme. Thursday's a good call for that .

Cheers all!


No worries, one more idea for you - take them bowling at All Star lanes would be a good laugh in a group. Not cheap, but then few places are these days.
The Almost Famous is in a new venue Great Northern Warehouse next door.
http://www.bacononthebeech.com/
Twitter @Bacononthebeech

User avatar
t0ria
Posts: 884
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Chorlton

Re: Places to eat / drink in town this week

Postby t0ria » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:28 pm

I wasn't mad on LLL&B when I went last year, it was very cramped and the portions were tiny, and the gimmick of serving food on licence plates just annoyed me!

lister
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:56 pm

Re: Places to eat / drink in town this week

Postby lister » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:04 pm

I was in LLL&B recently and the portions were very generous, and served on plates, so maybe it's changed somewhat?

I still feel like a massive whopper saying the full name though.

gitface
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:40 pm

Re: Places to eat / drink in town this week

Postby gitface » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:44 pm

Took 16 people to LLLB tonight. Food was served on plates in good sized portions, and the service was great. Deposited them all in Common on my way back to the tram, as I was turning into a pumpkin by 9:30. I was really impressed that LLLB got 16 of us sat together more or less, at only 10 minutes' notice. Definitely worth going on a quiet night with that sort of group. I was also amused when Danish Thomas got surprised by a £6 pint of IPA at Common. Was beautiful beer though.

Wednesday is now sorted, as they're going to eat at Sam's Chop House, - it's already booked. Thursday is nailed on for Rusholme. Tomorrow is my final quandary. I appreciated all your suggestions, but a view was expressed tonight that most of them would like to watch the derby in a pub in town with some "football atmosphere". I have a preference for somewhere with enough screens, a distinct lack of kicking off, and preferably food available (otherwise it'll be a really late night).

Anyone have any bright ideas? I'd normally go to the Trev or listen on 5 live, so again, I'm no help...

Rossington III
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 2:54 pm

Re: Places to eat / drink in town this week

Postby Rossington III » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:21 pm

a short walk and in student town so its much more likely to be mixed crowd without Neanderthals, is the Pub / Zoo. On the corner is the huge Firkin monstrosity but hey both do food and drink. have't been for ages but both do football well.

Get a magic bus out to The Friendship in fallowfield for better atmos - mix of students na dlocals that tollerate each other, brilliant ales and decent chinese chips / rib / share platters (They sold their spam - sorry to chinese people). If you don't eat there you can all pile in Saagans' kebaberie or take an early trip to Rusholme

KingNailer
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:58 am

Re: Places to eat / drink in town this week

Postby KingNailer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:03 am

Rossington III wrote:a short walk and in student town so its much more likely to be mixed crowd without Neanderthals, is the Pub / Zoo. On the corner is the huge Firkin monstrosity but hey both do food and drink. have't been for ages but both do football well.

Get a magic bus out to The Friendship in fallowfield for better atmos - mix of students na dlocals that tollerate each other, brilliant ales and decent chinese chips / rib / share platters (They sold their spam - sorry to chinese people). If you don't eat there you can all pile in Saagans' kebaberie or take an early trip to Rusholme



i would never watch football in studentland.

KingNailer
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:58 am

Re: Places to eat / drink in town this week

Postby KingNailer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:04 am

gitface wrote:Took 16 people to LLLB tonight. Food was served on plates in good sized portions, and the service was great. Deposited them all in Common on my way back to the tram, as I was turning into a pumpkin by 9:30. I was really impressed that LLLB got 16 of us sat together more or less, at only 10 minutes' notice. Definitely worth going on a quiet night with that sort of group. I was also amused when Danish Thomas got surprised by a £6 pint of IPA at Common. Was beautiful beer though.

Wednesday is now sorted, as they're going to eat at Sam's Chop House, - it's already booked. Thursday is nailed on for Rusholme. Tomorrow is my final quandary. I appreciated all your suggestions, but a view was expressed tonight that most of them would like to watch the derby in a pub in town with some "football atmosphere". I have a preference for somewhere with enough screens, a distinct lack of kicking off, and preferably food available (otherwise it'll be a really late night).

Anyone have any bright ideas? I'd normally go to the Trev or listen on 5 live, so again, I'm no help...



Nags Head good for football but a bit rum possibly, what about Montpelier? Our very own bowler is brilliant for watching a match as well.

oswaldgold
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:12 am

Re: Places to eat / drink in town this week

Postby oswaldgold » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:13 am

Another vote for the bowler, or if it has to be town the tib street tavern . They let you book a table/booth in advance as well.

Food in the tib tavern is burgers, bratwursts etc..... and it's a nice venue with decent beer. if you cant get a table you can always eat elswhere in the northern quarter then head over, it'll be a good atmosphere.


Return to “Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests