help needed finding a room/flat locally...

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
still_ill

help needed finding a room/flat locally...

Postby still_ill » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:25 pm

I'm trying to help a friend find somewhere to live in the area. They need a one-bedroom flat, studio/bedsit or even just a reasonable-sized room in a flat/house. Most of the flats we've looked at online would come in a bit too pricy with bills taken into account, so we've been looking more at houseshares, etc, mainly on Gumtree, with mixed results.

We've been to see a couple of places but they were not very well looked after, most of the better-looking places seem to come via agents, whose fees and hefty deposits could be a bit of an issue (is one-month's rent, the same as a deposit and £100 for reference checks standard nowadays?).

Was wondering if people might be able to offer some advice on where to look bar Gumtree (some of the ads we've seen are a bit offputting - very strict live-in owners, 'social' student houseshares, etc), and secondly if anyone knows of any fair, reliable landlords locally who don't charge an arm and a leg?

The person looking is full-time employed, can provide a reference from their employer and to my knowledge isn't a mentalist/nutjob/closet UKIP voter. They don't smoke or have pets. Other stuff like their age, gender, vegan credentials, musical tastes, etc, can be provided if deemed necessary. The only criteria they need a place to meet is that it's within, say, a mile of Chorlton centre, is secure, has access to basic amenities and is relatively affordable.

Please PM me if you think you can help.

Thanks in advance.

FurFoxAche

Re: help needed finding a room/flat locally...

Postby FurFoxAche » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:55 am

Back in the day I used to use something like http://uk.easyroommate.com/ although there are loads of different ones now. You should easily be able to find something in Chorlton or the Range. What is their budget?

oswaldgold

Postby oswaldgold » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:43 pm

4-6 weeks rent is the norm for a deposit plus your first month's rent, anything above that is unreasonable.

bufty1

Postby bufty1 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:13 pm

Whats the budget?

gitface

Postby gitface » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:39 am

We used to advertise on the notice board in Morrisons among other places when I was living in a house share. Admittedly about a decade ago...

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:32 pm

gitface wrote:We used to advertise on the notice board in Morrisons among other places when I was living in a house share. Admittedly about a decade ago...

Very similar to me but chose to advertise in the health food shop window on Beech Road instead (unfortunately this has recently closed down) and granted was about a decade ago as well.

What about the book shop on Wilbraham Road as people advertise there (or they definitely used to). The one which had the massive campaign against having a bar next door - a couple of shops down from Croma?

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:51 am

Or Unicorn? It's not just for vegans!

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:01 pm

Regards price range, it would vary depending on the type of property. We're well aware that flats in the centre of Chorlton can cost an arm and a leg, so we're looking more at houseshares. At a risk of being laughed at, £350 or so per month is what we have, possibly a little more if it was, say, a two-person share rather than a multiple-room occupancy. Obviously these figures are very optimistic, but hopefully we can find something. We don't have much of a hope of getting anything privately for that sort of money, but there must be people who have a spare room and could do with £100 a week or so, the going rate or not.

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:39 pm

Your budget sounds fine to me. From what I see advertised, without even actively looking, I'd say the average rent for a room in a shared house is approx. £300 per month plus bills (then you need to find out which bills you need to contribute to).

Have you or your friend advertised you are looking on twitter? Put #chorlton in your post and this will generate an automatic repost. Have you looked or advertisd on any of the Chorlton Facebook groups?

Obviously the number of people you share with can vary but if you'd prefer a two person flat/house share if I were you I'd advertise and see what interest you get. I'm sure you know but don't include your phone number in your online advert.

oswaldgold

Postby oswaldgold » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:24 pm

not sure what the issue with gumtree is, i've just looked and there are several available that look perfectly fine.

ElevenEleven

Postby ElevenEleven » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:25 am

I just searched Rightmove for places to rent up to £350 in M21. There are 8 house shares.

[url]
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to- ... hare=false
[/url]

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:38 am

What do people know about the flats at Hardy Farm?

They look like old retirement flats which have been converted into some sort of mixture of student dwellings and shared accomodation for single people. Shared k1tchen and bathrooms, but other extras like laundry, shop, cleaners, etc. Far from ideal, but very cheap and they back onto the green bit of Chorlton. Seems a bit of a strange one.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-43962964.html

oswaldgold

Postby oswaldgold » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:15 pm

Why not book a viewing and find out for yourself?

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:41 pm

oswaldgold wrote:Why not book a viewing and find out for yourself?

Cheers for the help, buddy.

oswaldgold

Postby oswaldgold » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:33 pm

i know it sounds a bit leftfield but it's actually how you find a house, you should try it.

Return to “Discussions”