A & S

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
annie

A & S

Postby annie » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:15 am

Now that the business formerly known as A & S Booze has closed down (all three branches).... can we dare to hope that the owners of that building on Keppel Road might actually repair the catastrophic structural damage that was done to it a few years ago by dopey window fitters, and has been stayed by steel props and a massive scaffolding tower??

I don't like walking past buildings on the verge of collapse.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

still_ill

Re: A & S

Postby still_ill » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:31 am

I believe the owner passed away recently.

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:25 am

I believe the shop on the corner of Keppel Road is to become a Cafe Nero - well that's what I've read a few times from various sources on social media.

steved

Postby steved » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:38 am

Anything would be and improvement - even a tesco!

alr1970

Postby alr1970 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:46 pm

It would be nice to have a somewhat higher profile brand on that stretch between the banks and Morrisons. I know it's not fashionable to like the Costa, but what I do notice about it is the fact that it is the only unit in the precint open when I come home in the evenings. As such it brightens that stretch and makes it friendler: it's nice to see something other than a bar open after 5:30. I would expect a similar feeling from a CN on the Keppel Road corner.

Mr Squirrel

Postby Mr Squirrel » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:16 am

annie wrote:can we dare to hope that the owners of that building on Keppel Road might actually repair the catastrophic structural damage that was done to it a few years ago...

I'd guess that the owner has claimed on his insurance, the insurance company is suing the builders, the builders have claimed on their insurance, and the end result is that everything gets bogged down in legal arguments for years...

A few years ago, a delivery van reversed into my parked car. The van driver admitted full responsibility and there were plenty of witnesses. It took best part of a year and two sets of lawyers before the delivery van's insurers would agree to pay for my repairs. And that was a really simple case where everyone agreed on the facts!
A short attention span is very... Oh look, chocolate!

andy_landy

Postby andy_landy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:21 pm

i much prefer cafe nero to costa.

that is all :)

annie

Postby annie » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:06 pm

Well things are moving ahead, I'm pleased to say. There's new scaffolding around the damaged part of the building and, I'm told, work to repair it will begin soon.

Good... it's been a minging eyesore for years.

Mind you, if a chain coffee store moves in, it'll ming for a good deal longer.

Starbucks next folks... these bastards always come in threes.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:09 pm

So A&S Booze. Always wondered this, was his/her/their second name actually "Booze"?

StePee

Postby StePee » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:35 pm

I've heard Cafe Nero rumours too.
I gather the structural probs are due to too many internal walls/external openings made to maximise retail space; so a local builder said, who'd been asked to quote to repair last year (but walked away!).
Hopefully more stability (!) for Chorlton.

annie

Postby annie » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:13 pm

StePee wrote:I've heard Cafe Nero rumours too.
I gather the structural probs are due to too many internal walls/external openings made to maximise retail space; so a local builder said, who'd been asked to quote to repair last year (but walked away!).
Hopefully more stability (!) for Chorlton.

Mmmm close.

The interior walls were not the problem. The window openings were enlarged by morons, resulting in a lack of support for the corner of the building, which dropped by 6 inches suddenly. You could see the buckled pillars from inside the shop - imagine the weight of two storeys on two thin pillars! Steel props were fitted as an emergency measure, and the upper flats evacuated. It stayed that way for years.

The internal size of the shop had not, to my knowledge, been altered.

steved

Postby steved » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:07 am

I heard from a reliable source that the Cafe Nero rumour is just that - and the premises will in fact be ... A booze shop

annie

Postby annie » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:47 am

steved wrote:I heard from a reliable source that the Cafe Nero rumour is just that - and the premises will in fact be ... A booze shop

YAYY!

StePee

Postby StePee » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:37 pm

Hopefully not run by the same bottom-feeders as before Steved?

steved

Postby steved » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:38 pm

Get used to disappointment ...

Return to “Discussions”