Crime!

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Greenlid

Crime!

Postby Greenlid » Sat May 17, 2014 10:10 pm

Hello all,please forgive my negativity (although i prefer realism).

Having moved to Chorlton in January this year. (I presumed chorlton was a leafy quiet suburb). I find,Chorlton,thee worst place I have ever lived (London,Barcelona,Exeter,salford,Glasgow,manchester,Cyprus).

Firstly,1st night car broken into,3 days later attempted break in,van break in,hoodies middle of the day peering into garage,police chase on the street,hoodies going from house to house peering through windows,Neighbour attempted burglary. I installed cctv and...every night of the week...different gangs of "people" frequent the street hunting for things to make an easy living from. Since living here there have been,within 5 months,7 burglaries,not to mention car crime,vandalism etc. It goes on.

I caught two burglars on cctv at 3am returning to the house they prev robbed an hour before to retrieve more items. In fact minutes after they walked past carrying a TV set another pair of burglars walked in the opposite direction carry swag from who knows where.

We saved for 10 years to buy a house away from a council estate (I grew up on one and most of my life lived near one before I receive "persecution,typecast etc") and find I have moved into a place ravaged by an insignificant estate (merseybank and nell lane).

The characteristics of the residents of chorlton seem to be quite bohemian and in turn offer no threat to these petty criminals. Most turn a blind eye to he victimisation of the neighbours. Use excuses such as "oh well we live in a city".
I'm an ex royal marine,I find the lack of crime prevention,police effort,community communication shockingly bad.

I knocked on to tell a neighbour some hoodies were in his garden,looking in his car. He shrugged..."it happens"
????
Another neighbour who had an attempted burglary "are you going to cut the tree down" she remarked.."it blocks my light" (after informing her I chased them off).

I decided to recce merseybank...I was very surprised to see a very small insignificant estate with roughly 7 streets within a mile. How has this estate with petty hoodlums ravaged a entire community for so long? I would presume it is because most/all of the inhabitants not from Mersey bank offer no resistance.

In conclusion. As well as parking nightmares,a place over run with restaurant/bar/restaurant. A multitude of criminals sharing the pavement with middle class victims. I would say,hopefully,I shan't live here for long.

Chorlton absolutely sucks.

Louise

Re: Crime!

Postby Louise » Sun May 18, 2014 4:22 pm

I guess It's being so cheerful that keeps you going.

aroundM21

Postby aroundM21 » Sun May 18, 2014 5:39 pm

Crime can vary hugely in the space of 1/10th of a mile, ie just 2-3 roads.
Crime statistics are published by the police on-line now -- see www.police.uk before you decide to move anywhere because I think many places in Manchester can vary by a surprising degree.

I empathise with your view of lethergy / acceptance.

Frankly it doea sound like you have been extremely unlucky.

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Sun May 18, 2014 5:41 pm

Greenlid wrote:
... I have moved into a place ravaged by an insignificant estate (merseybank and nell lane).

I decided to recce merseybank...

Greenlid

Can I ask the name of the road where you live? I presume you live either on Nell Lane or on the Merseybank estate? Or if not then nearby?

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Sun May 18, 2014 7:25 pm

What has the police response been like, Greenlid?

Greenlid

Postby Greenlid » Sun May 18, 2014 8:06 pm

Indeed near merseybank. In fact last night car was broken into again. 4 months 19 police visits.

I live on macefin,off manor drive.

Police officer openly admitted "we are helpless".

Chorlton+worst mistake ever.

annie

Postby annie » Sun May 18, 2014 8:15 pm

Greenlid wrote:Indeed near merseybank. In fact last night car was broken into again. 4 months 19 police visits.

I live on macefin,off manor drive.

Police officer openly admitted "we are helpless".

Chorlton+worst mistake ever.

Let me correct that for you...

Merseybank+worst mistake ever.

I wouldn't move to Merseybank or Nell lane if you paid me. Crime-ridden shitholes overrun by feral teenagers on bikes, nicking anything that isn't nailed down. And the things that are nailed down.

Some research might have saved you a lot of stress, and us from having to read your somewhat bizarre diatribe.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

Louise

Postby Louise » Sun May 18, 2014 8:26 pm

Put it back on the market. Some other sucker will fall for the "Leafy suburb" thing and take it off your hands before too long.

lister

Postby lister » Sun May 18, 2014 8:36 pm

Unfortunately there's a reason certain areas are affordable 'for chorlton'

Richard_H

Postby Richard_H » Sun May 18, 2014 8:55 pm

Greenlid,

Over the years I've had two friends who lived on Manor Drive - both moved out pretty quickly.

It's a shame as there does seem to be some nice houses down there. Your neighbours have probably gotten so used to the situation they don't notice it any more.

That said, the district as a whole does seem to be going through a rough time at the moment: robbery at the bus station co-op, the lad who got run over at the Spread and the fights on Beech Road to name but a few.

ElevenEleven

Postby ElevenEleven » Mon May 19, 2014 9:58 am

I'm glad Greenlid has spoken up about this because I feel exactly the same. My wife and I are moving out of Chorlton this week because it really isn't the safe place to live in we hoped it would be. We currently live on Reeves Road which has been okay as a lot of the neighbours look out for each other.

There have been a lot of positives here, with lovely nights out on Beech Road but it is really worth paying for a stupidly overpriced property just to get some nice cafe culture and wondering when, not if, you will be burgled?

I walk my dog several times a day around Chorlton Green and surrounding areas and quite often see front doors left wide open and laptops in the front window. There seem to be a lot of nice people who have the desire and intention for this to be the kind of area where you can do that, which is lovely, however you can't do that. There are scumbags just waiting for the opportunity. I have a friend who lives on Crossland Road who had her phone stolen when she left the front door open to dry the paint after painting her living room.

Beech Road park regularly has a group of hoodies, all in their obligatory grey and black tracksuits talking like pseudo gangsters in their stupid "you get me bruv, innit" type syntax. They smoke so much weed you can smell it from the other end of the park. I've seen them congregating on the climbing frame all shouting and swearing at each other, spliffs in hand when there are lots of parents with children on the play park. Not one person does anything about it, not even the police it seems. The other day I picked up around 30 CO2 type canisters from around the benches after they left as they had just chucked them on floor after sucking all of the gas out. Some people will argue that they are "just teenagers". That's not good enough.

The absolute truth about Chorlton is it's overrun by opportunist scumbags and until something is done about it, it will continue to get worse.
Last edited by ElevenEleven on Mon May 19, 2014 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard_H

Postby Richard_H » Mon May 19, 2014 10:22 am

"The absolute truth about Chorlton is it's overrun by opportunists scumbags and until something is done about it, it will continue to get worse."

ElevenEleven,

I couldn't agree more - question is, where can someone move to that's safe, has plenty to do and house prices are actually affordable?

I reckon an uber-hard police crackdown on crime nationally isn't far away - I just don't see any other solution. :(

ElevenEleven

Postby ElevenEleven » Mon May 19, 2014 10:43 am

Hi Richard,

I think there are at least some trivial but essential steps that can be taken in Chorlton. Front doors need to be closed as much as possible, valuables such as laptops, should not be left in full view, mobile phones should not be just left on the table in the pub ( I see this a lot ). Of course I know there is so much more to it, but we have to start somewhere.

Basically Chorlton residents need to start being much more vigilant and stop being so trusting. Terrible isn't it that, that is the way of the things? However, that's how it is. I even keep my bike in the dining room and keep it in a corner that cannot be seen from any window.

A while ago the police did go round door to door saying we need to be vigilant. When they knocked on the door my dog was barking a lot and sounded big and ferocious. The truth is he is a softy and sounds much bigger than he his. One of the policemen told me that in the majority of the burglary cases he has dealt with, dogs are a really good deterrent, if they are good guard dogs.

As for the constant hoodies on the park, I don't think making them go somewhere else is the answer. They somehow need to be educated to the fact that acting and talking like a gangster will lead people to be believe that is what they would like to be.

Stanley

Postby Stanley » Mon May 19, 2014 12:19 pm

"The absolute truth about Chorlton is it's overrun by opportunists scumbags"

I would argue that that is somewhat of an exaggeration and not "the absolute truth".
Keep an open mind...but not so open that your brain falls out.

annie

Postby annie » Mon May 19, 2014 12:45 pm

As I see it... Chorlton is currently home to a rather large number of optimistic, nostalgia-loving hipster people, who seem have the rose-tinted view that Chorlton is a lovely bohemian suburb, all leafy and vegan, where everyone looks out for one another, and the kids are all members of the local ceramics club. I have NEVER thought of it that way.

If people are so bloody stupid to leave their doors open and expensive goods on show, what the hell to they expect? Merseybank and Nell Lane have been breeding grounds for crime for as long as I have lived here (my only burglary was when I lived on Hardy Lane in 2000), and then of course it's also a mecca for crims BECAUSE of this laissez-faire attitude to safety and security. "Tourism crims", who come here form Stockport and Wythenshawe to steal from the gullible, the weak and the dumb.

Chorlton's house prices are a lie - they lead people to think it's a "desirable" (read "safe") area... which it's not. I can't have sympathy for people who fall under this spell without doing some decent research. Coming here before buying would probably help.

But, as has been said, the majority of crime is carried out by bored teenagers from the council estates... plastic wannabe gangsta thugs on pushbikes (probably stolen) - mostly opportunistic.

Finally, I just want to point out that this is a widespread problem, not just restricted to here. Tell you what, try living in Hulme or Wythenshawe and then see how you view Chorlton.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

Return to “Discussions”