Crime!

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
ElevenEleven

Re: Crime!

Postby ElevenEleven » Mon May 19, 2014 1:12 pm

Stanley wrote:"The absolute truth about Chorlton is it's overrun by opportunists scumbags"

I would argue that that is somewhat of an exaggeration and not "the absolute truth".

Fair enough. However I would argue that it is.

gitface

Postby gitface » Mon May 19, 2014 4:00 pm

Having written this I was in two minds about whether to post it, because I really like it here and couldn't live anywhere else. But...

The level of theft, burglary, attempted burglary and criminal damage near my place over the last few years has also been absolutely shocking. The most recent was just a couple of weeks ago, when someone kindly took a pair of bolt cutters to the two padlocks on my garage door to try to get my bike. (They obviously hadn't expected to be confronted with several hundred quid's worth of hardened steel chains).

aroundM21 is quite right. We live on the north edge of Chorlton park, and while being careful about security and not having things on show we do have to accept that we're right on the "front line" due to the proximity of some of those previously mentioned areas.

I've found that being utterly paranoid about security and calling 101 reasonably often helps. Having said that, you couldn't pay me to live south of Chorlton Brook - except the 'Ville, which I couldn't pay to live in. :shock: If there's any way you could possibly move half a mile north you'd have a very different view of Chorlton.

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Mon May 19, 2014 5:57 pm

I suspect the OP is on the wind-up somewhat and quite probably one of the small group of posters with several accounts who add nothing to discussions.

We no longer live in Chorlton, so i've no reason to really defend the place, but i have to say that in twenty years we weren't once burgled, mugged or anything of the sort. Moreover, neither was anybody we knew.

That said, it's a fact that burglaries in Chorlton are quite high, and certain areas are hotspots - Merseybank being the main one, but also around Buckingham Road. The latter i don't really understand, but generally speaking you get what you pay for. Surely you were advised against moving to Merseybank?

Greenlid

Postby Greenlid » Mon May 19, 2014 8:25 pm

Well,as I say,we don't live on Mersey bank. As before what distance from the estate is deemed on/off Mersey bank.

As getting what you pay for. Saving for 10 years to buy a large house with a garden. £290k isn't the cheapest house (forced to give financial details here as I've read "get what you pay for" a few times. Upon speaking to my neighbour (who lives in a 1.8million pounds house) he remarked he was robbed in 1997 and the car was broken into in the 90s) other neighbours have lived here for 40 years and nothing. Lately (past 12 months) it is out of control. I inform the neighbours of crimes I've spotted..they aren't interested...one actually smiled and remarked "I blame the police" ( she won't give a ducking statement).

Now,I've caught 7/8 separate crimes on cctv. Police say they can't prosecute. The other 4 neighbours with cctv won't submit theirs for fear of reprisal (one won't give a statement). This I feel is the reason the criminals pillage the hard working. Simply because it's easy with no consequences.

Sat night I was in chorlton (1st and last time) ,a girl was being harassed by a man in the streetI stopped,she walked off,I had a confrontation with the harasser. His ran off. People were passing and non stopped to help her before I got there. The journey home was filled with hoodies. Police sirens. A bus stop smashed in front of me by a bottle from a mountain bike riding man in his 40s. The walk is 2 miles.

I can go on. Indeed there's "any city""most weekends in a city".

bufty1

Postby bufty1 » Mon May 19, 2014 10:16 pm

Greenlid - where abouts do you live as its not clear. I agree with Annie - i pity people that choose to live on Merseybank / Nell Lane. So much trouble going on there its quite unbelievable the police dont do more....

oswaldgold

Postby oswaldgold » Tue May 20, 2014 9:08 am

i live on the top floor of one of the large buildings on barlow moor road so fortunately it's relatively inaccessible to anyone who doesn't have a large ladder or two separate keys to the property. however in the last 12 months we've had people inside the (permanently lit, electronically gated) car park scoping the cars and someone also tore the lid off the steel storage shed in the garden to see if anything was worth stealing recently.

for those saying "it isn't that bad" or pointing to unhelpful, anecdotal "well in 20 years i personally never had a problem, this is clearly a wind up" statements Chorlton has the highest rate of burglary in the country so there very clearly is a problem. on the other hand, i 100% agree with Annie's point - Chorlton has never been a fully gentrified "middle class" suburb despite its reputation, it's always been rough around the edges and due to the pronounced (and growing) wealth dichotomy certain styles of crime are becoming more and more commonplace.

the problem with burglary is it's very hard to try and stop without throwing man power at the issue. it's an opportunist crime that relies on the idea that not everyone can be everywhere at once, even an expensive CCTV system wont actually stop you being burgled.

annie

Postby annie » Tue May 20, 2014 7:04 pm

oswaldgold wrote:Chorlton has never been a fully gentrified "middle class" suburb despite its reputation, it's always been rough around the edges and due to the pronounced (and growing) wealth dichotomy certain styles of crime are becoming more and more commonplace.

Having said all of that.... I love Chorlton, with all it's dodgy, grimy, hipster, arty foibles. It's still the place I call home, and still the place, ironically, where I feel safest going to pubs and walking home at night - even VERY late at night after a night drinking at mates' houses. Probably another delusion :)
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Tue May 20, 2014 7:41 pm

annie wrote:Having said all of that.... I love Chorlton, with all it's dodgy, grimy, hipster, arty foibles. It's still the place I call home, and still the place, ironically, where I feel safest going to pubs and walking home at night - even VERY late at night after a night drinking at mates' houses. Probably another delusion :)

When I first moved to Chorlton in the early 90's the local paper was full of reports of burglaries and muggings. I didn't feel particularly safe walking around alone at night in some of the quieter areas. These days though, no problem. Clearly there's an issue here with burglaries, but I get the feeling it's just that. There's no real problem with street crime, is there? I haven't been mugged in Chorlton, and I don't know anyone who has.

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Tue May 20, 2014 8:46 pm

Like Ashpole, I remember a time in the nineties when an unbelievable amount of street crime in Chorlton was reported in the papers. Often in quite busy areas, often during the day, often at cash machines. And I'm afraid I do know several women who were mugged around that time, often very near their homes, usually not late at night. Handbag snatching mostly.

Again like Ashpole, I don't seem to be hearing many of these reports these days and haven't done for ages. And like Annie, I have never felt unsafe out on my own in Chorlton at any time of day or night. I've had some burglaries though, actual and attempted, as have many of my neighbours.

Chorlton police routinely tweet detailed day to day information on local crimes, including arrests and convictions. You don't have to be on twitter, you can see them here:

https://twitter.com/GMPChorlton

ElevenEleven

Postby ElevenEleven » Fri May 23, 2014 12:39 pm

Despite concerns about Crime in the area, I am actually sad to be leaving as today it's my last day in Chorlton. I've had some really good times here and made life-long friends.However, it's time to buy somewhere and my wife and I absolutely refuse to pay insane amounts of money for a tiny 2up, 2down when you can get a family house for the same price in much leafier (and safer) locations.

Goodbye Chorlton, it has been interesting.
Last edited by ElevenEleven on Tue May 27, 2014 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

lister

Postby lister » Fri May 23, 2014 1:38 pm

Where are you off to?

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Fri May 23, 2014 4:03 pm

Hope it all goes well, ElevenEleven.

TossPot

Postby TossPot » Fri May 23, 2014 8:20 pm

We all have a vote don't we? Sadly the voting majority of Chorltonites choose to elect Labour councillors and Police Commissioner (and of course, previously, the loathsome Bradley).

For those who didn't vote Labour, perhaps you might care to give your elected representatives hell about this. For those who did, serves you right.
'Drive-by insult merchant'

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Sat May 24, 2014 8:26 pm

ElevenEleven wrote:Despite concerns about Crime in the area, I am actually sad to be leaving as today it's my last day in Chorlton. I've had some really good times here and made life-long friends.However, it's time to buy somewhere and my wife and I absolutely refuse to pay insane amounts of money for a tiny 2up, 2down when you can get a family house for the same price in much leafier (and safer) locations.

Cheaper, safer, leafier, maybe. But more fun?

Stanley

Postby Stanley » Tue May 27, 2014 3:29 pm

ElevenEleven wrote:
Stanley wrote:"The absolute truth about Chorlton is it's overrun by opportunists scumbags"

I would argue that that is somewhat of an exaggeration and not "the absolute truth".

Fair enough. However I would argue that it is.

Fair enough. I would point to the evidence and demonstrate that Chorlton is not overrun by opportunist scumbags. Of course, it would all depend on our definitions of the words "overrun", "opportunist" and "scumbags".
Keep an open mind...but not so open that your brain falls out.

Return to “Discussions”