Double Iron gates - Drive

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
admin
Site Admin

Double Iron gates - Drive

Postby admin » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:20 pm

I've scraped my car on the iron gates attached to the pillars either side of my drive once too much and am going to get rid of them; does anyone know if I could do better than:
a) paying someone to remove them (i'm a complete diy numpty)
and
b) selling them to a scrap metal merchant.

All advice will be gratefully received if not necessarily acted upon...

thx

mark

blenkinsop

Re: Double Iron gates - Drive

Postby blenkinsop » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:35 pm

C) Stop driving while you're pissed.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:38 pm

d) but without the hindsight, what would you suggest for

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:39 pm

e)
?

Rossington III

Postby Rossington III » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:43 pm

borrow an angle grinder off of someone and just have a go at cutting them off as close to the brick / stone as possible?

Seriously, just have a go, see what happens. Failing having someone handy you know with an angle grinder, borrow a small hacksaw and just give it a go. its amazing what those tiny things will cut through given enough elbow grease. and you can replace the blunt blade afterwards for a couple of quid as its detachable. they are the really weedy D shaped saws with very thin little blades across the gap.

or get a lump hammer and stone chisel and carefully chip away at the until they pop out. the older they are the deeper they'll be, what with people doing a proper job of setting them in back in the day/ then fill in the hole with a bit of pre-mixed mortar from B and Q, the novice's favourite (I should know, i just have a go until its nearly fixed then give up and live with it)

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:20 pm

f) sell them
gates can be expensive so you should be able to sell them on ebay or whatever. depending on how they are mounted you can ask the buyer to remove them. if you post some pics it would be easier to comment on how they could be removed.

i got about £200 for a side gate/surround that i sold

Return to “Discussions”