How long is a tram journey to Ashton?

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
ash pole

How long is a tram journey to Ashton?

Postby ash pole » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:33 pm

I need to go from Chorlton to Ashton West next week. I'm thinking of going by tram, anyone know how long the trip might take? I can't find details of journey times on the metrolink website.

KingNailer

Re: How long is a tram journey to Ashton?

Postby KingNailer » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:16 pm

about 30 years back in time

gitface

Postby gitface » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:24 pm

The TFGM jorney planner says it's one hour and three minutes including a 16 minute wait to change at St Peter's Square. Seems to be the same whatever time I say I want to get there by.

I agree - Greater Manchester's transport information is all over the place. It's mad that you can get more detailed journey info from the TFGM site than the MetroLink site. TFGM journey planner is here by the way:

http://www.traveline-northwest.co.uk/jo ... 0272913939

EDIT: By the way, if you don't restrict the search to tram only, it turns out it could sometimes be quicker to get a tram to Shudehill, walk to Victoria, and get a train from there. Which also seems odd...

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:34 pm

Last time I needed to know how long a particular journey would take, I emailed Metrolink as I couldn't find this information on their website. They replied within 5 minutes with a very exact time, and apologised that you can only get the information from an iphone app at the moment, not on their website.

It takes ages getting to Ashton by tram from Chorlton, not much quicker than getting two buses, although much pleasanter. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the train turns out to be faster.

FurFoxAche

Postby FurFoxAche » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:20 pm

To be fair, Tfgm are the transport authority so you'd hope they had all the journey details and they "own" The Metrolink system.

Also, trams are not meant for long journeys... Look at the recent Rochdale line... It is meant for journeys in between places.

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:31 pm

And if you're not in too much of a hurry it can be terrific for hassle-free cross-town journeys, which can be pretty exhausting by other forms of transport. I recently needed to go from Firswood to Milnrow, which I could do in one go without changing, albeit it at a rather leisurely rate.

Return to “Discussions”