Wi-fi speakers/music systems? Sonos?

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Sarah_B

Wi-fi speakers/music systems? Sonos?

Postby Sarah_B » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:49 am

I am wondering if anybody can give me some advice/share their experiences of wifi speaker/music systems please?

Most of the music I have now is stored on my iPhone and a friend recently mentioned they have bought a Sonos music system. There are no wires required just a power cable for the speakers.

I think you just need something called a bridge that connects to the house wifi modem and then buy however many speakers you want and control it all from your iphone?

I need to check out prices etc too.

Thank you for any advice.

oswaldgold

Re: Wi-fi speakers/music systems? Sonos?

Postby oswaldgold » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:49 pm

it depends how serious you are about sound quality, personally if you just want decent sound at a reasonable volume then i'd go for something like a soundbar with a standalone subwoofer that has bluetooth connectivity. you can then use it for your TV/blueray as well as any bluetooth devices you have like ipods and iphones.

they're cheaper than a sonos and imo more versatile, you also dont need a bridge.

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:00 pm

oswaldgold wrote: if you just want decent sound at a reasonable volume

Yes that's all I'm after. Thank you for your suggestion and I'll look into that.

I would also like to be able to play my music outside when having a BBQ etc. Again not too loud just some background music. Would what you suggest also work outside? Would all I need be a power cable?

At present I do have a simple iPhone docking station which may actually be the easier option for outside but did wonder if Sonos and what you suggest would both work outside on the presumption I can only get 3G outside?

Thank you again for your help.

Reeves

Postby Reeves » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:35 pm

Don't know if this helps but...

I've installed Sonos around the house, great sound but (and for me this is a big but) as it works via its own Bridge connection over your wi-fi it is slightly restricted in what you can play. Sonos only allows you to play via certain outlets ie Spotify, Google music, Tunein radio and what's on your Iphone/Ipad. It does not currently allow you to play music via Soundcloud. This is a big annoyance for me as Soundcloud is my number one app. I have to download music from Soundcloud (and only when the author allows me to download) to Itunes and then transfer via a playlist to my phone/ipad. Other systems allow you to play via any app on your phone.

Great sound but it does come at a price, over £1k by the time I've fitted the house out with speakers.

Hope this helps.

oswaldgold

Postby oswaldgold » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:32 pm

Sarah_B wrote:
oswaldgold wrote: if you just want decent sound at a reasonable volume

Yes that's all I'm after. Thank you for your suggestion and I'll look into that.

I would also like to be able to play my music outside when having a BBQ etc. Again not too loud just some background music. Would what you suggest also work outside? Would all I need be a power cable?

At present I do have a simple iPhone docking station which may actually be the easier option for outside but did wonder if Sonos and what you suggest would both work outside on the presumption I can only get 3G outside?

Thank you again for your help.

it will work outside, they also uses bluetooth so you don't need to be near wifi - it connects directly from the phone to the speaker. they will also play whatever app or website you are using/viewing on your phone so doesn't have the same issues with soundcloud.

Rob

Postby Rob » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:43 pm

we just bought these - http://www.whathifi.com/review/ultimate-ears-boom

highly portable & wireless (bluetooth), great sound from a small unit

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:55 pm

Thank you Reeves for that very helpful post. Sonos is definitely not for me.

Rob - I have looked at your link, thank you. In order to power the speakers can I use electricity power? (as opposed to just batteries) and I presume if I bought more than one of these the same music would come out of both speakers .. however I think one is enough.

Fungus Mungus

Postby Fungus Mungus » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:26 pm

You can use apple airport express(es) to stream music from your phone or via iTunes on computer.
Cost about £70 each, they'll connect to any amp or speaker that has an aux input.
You can only connect to one at a time from phone but from iTunes on PC you can connect to as many or few as you wish if you want multi room.
Sound quality is better than Bluetooth and you don't have to be close to speaker like you do with Bluetooth - plus if you have an old hifi you can connect to that.

annie

Postby annie » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:27 pm

Soundbars = utter crap.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

oswaldgold

Postby oswaldgold » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:18 am

annie wrote:Soundbars = utter crap.

well that certainly sounds like a well informed opinion.

annie

Postby annie » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:43 am

oswaldgold wrote:

Succinct and to the point I thought, but if you want me to expand on that...

1. Limited stereo separation
2. Limited sound quality
3. Often burdened by pseudo-surround guff
4. Waste of money

Happy?
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:38 pm

Based on the apps I use I don't want the restrictions with Sonos and as most of my music is not from iTunes on my iPhone I thought perhaps individual iPhone docking stations may be a better option. However as I currently have an iPhone 4s and the docking port is different on an iPhone 5 then I guess it's best to wait. However docking stations will run the risk of becoming obsolete if Apple continue to change the docking part of the iPhone.

A high quality bluetooth soundbar may be a possibility as this would overcome the problem with iPhone docking compatibility. However if bluetooth has poor sound quality then I'm not keen on this option either.

Grateful for any further suggestions.

Fungus Mungus - I have bought a cable which connects to the old stereo in my ki_tchen but my other stereo does not have an aux cable but will keep my old stereo which I have in the ki_tchen.

Ideally I'm looking for two speakers for two rooms in my house with the functionality to play outside too.

oswaldgold

Postby oswaldgold » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:33 pm

annie wrote:
oswaldgold wrote:

Succinct and to the point I thought, but if you want me to expand on that...

1. Limited stereo separation
2. Limited sound quality
3. Often burdened by pseudo-surround guff
4. Waste of money

Happy?

1. this is not a stereo HiFi system, it's a portable speaker, true separation is impossible on any of the options (unless you double up, and spend £100's of pounds).
2. see 1 - although at higher price points the sound quality can be excellent.
3. that doesn't have to be used, so is completely irrelevant.
4. less of a waste than £300 per unit sonos speakers

Sarah - if you're buying more than one room then the modular units like the ultimate ears are probably the way to go - the SB with seperate sub is only if you're buying for 1 main room and need something cost effective.

FuriousStyles

Postby FuriousStyles » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:30 am

Soundcloud can be played on Sonos, they have added it as a service on the controller app.

I've got several Sonos components and think they are brilliant. Its the multiroom functionality that makes it a winner for me, so when the Play1 alarm wakes me up in the morning I can go down to the k-itchen where the Play5 is streaming the same thing without having to touch anything. Or if one of us is upstairs they can listen to something different to what is on downstairs without having to have a different device to stream from. I also have a large music collection on my NAS which Sonos integrates with seamlessly.

I would recommend it over anything else if you want that type of functionality, but if you are likely to only stream from one device in a single room at a time then there would be no point in spending the £££ on Sonos.

Reeves

Postby Reeves » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:12 pm

FuriousStyles wrote:Soundcloud can be played on Sonos, they have added it as a service on the controller app.

It is now but wasn't available when I put the comment on. It's great news and I totally agree with your comments. I hadn't thought about the alarm function, will try it tomorrow.

Return to “Discussions”