Dogs in Beech Road Park

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
scottie

Re: Dogs in Beech Road Park

Postby scottie » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:32 pm

woof, woof wrote:Am I the only one who has noticed a huge increase in the "dog traffic" through Beech Road Park during the last 12 months. All I can hear from 7am to 10pm at night is dogs barking and it seems to be the same ones who are regularily using the park, which seems to have become a dog pound. I dont even live directly next to it, so I feel sorry for those that do and have to endure this selfish behaviour.
Is it not bad enough that I have to walk my daughter to school, carefully avoiding the urine and dog faeces along the way and when I go down the meadows observe the beautiful sight of dog faeces carefully bagged up and hung from the trees.
At least I am reassured by these owners when their muts approach my 5 year old daughter that their dogs are friendly and wont bite her, WOW, I am so pleased!!!!!!

Here's some more facts for you.
The park is maintained mainly by the friends of the Beech road committee. There is some council cleaning up done, but since the cuts, one worker has to do several parks so much of it is done on a volunteer basis as there is so little money.
The chair is a friendly elderly lady who has a dog, Missy, you may have seen her about with a walking frame. She tirelessly organises events in the park, you may have been to one of them yourself.
One of my friend's volunteers nearly every weekend to garden in the park, her partner makes the notice boards (all at their own time and expense). They're keen dog owners too.
Have you ever seen a slim Irish man in the morning with his three legged dog? He picks up litter left by kids the day/night before every single morning. He inspired me to do the same.
So you see, there's an army of people looking after the park that you never see. Almost all of them happen to be dog walkers & owners.
There is I'll admit always a few bad apples that spoil it for everyone else. Annoyingly I trod in some dog crap the other day whilst picking up after my own dog, and it is so irritating.
But in the main, the park is pretty good and well maintained. We're lucky in Chorlton, there's an unofficial self policing policy, many of us dog owners, if we see someone not pick up after themselves, we'll ask them politely if they want a poo bag.
I've done it and I know my friends have. We even often pick up others peoples dog poo. I even heard that the Irish fella had a word with the chip shop owner who was well known never to pick up after his two vicious looking boxers.
Many of us use Beech rd park every single day, when you're inside in Winter, when it's dark and cold and rainy, we're out there with our dogs and 99% clean up after ourselves and others.

simmy

Postby simmy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:12 pm

Last summer there was a fire set to something in the rec \ park that melted and then solidified into quite a large black hard plastic mess. It was the Irish guy with the three legged dog that chipped away at it and scarified the grass afterwards to clean it up for everyone else.

I take my lead from him and don't step over rubbish in the park, rather picking it up and binning it.

I haven't seen the chip shop man with the boxers in the park for ages though so the word must have worked.

The woman with the walking frame should put us all to shame, I've seen her raking up leaves in the autumn when most people wouldn't put a foot outside.

Edwinacurry

Postby Edwinacurry » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:35 pm

We'll said Scottie. Dog owners/walkers are the main users of most Manchester parks and are unfairly pilloried by Manchester City council and parents who use the park only when the weather is nice and expect it to be perfect as if by magic.

annie

Postby annie » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:54 am

Edwinacurry wrote:We'll said Scottie. Dog owners/walkers are the main users of most Manchester parks and are unfairly pilloried by Manchester City council and parents who use the park only when the weather is nice and expect it to be perfect as if by magic.

Yeah, crazy that, expecting a public space not to be full of dog shit.

Maybe we should have new signs, that boldly state "WARNING TO NON-DOGOWNERS - Expect shit everywhere. Don't expect to go home without stepping in dog shit. This park is for dog owners specifically to drop off their shit."

Yeah. That'll work.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

scottie

Postby scottie » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:29 am

annie wrote:
Edwinacurry wrote:We'll said Scottie. Dog owners/walkers are the main users of most Manchester parks and are unfairly pilloried by Manchester City council and parents who use the park only when the weather is nice and expect it to be perfect as if by magic.

Yeah, crazy that, expecting a public space not to be full of dog shit.

Maybe we should have new signs, that boldly state "WARNING TO NON-DOGOWNERS - Expect shit everywhere. Don't expect to go home without stepping in dog shit. This park is for dog owners specifically to drop off their shit."

Yeah. That'll work.

For you to comment in a balanced way about dogs is like asking a racist about the benefits of multiculturalism.
We get it, you hate dogs and were probably bitten/jumped up at as a kid, which is awful by the way. (I'm someone who believes dogs should be firmly under control at all times).
But since then just like any prejudiced/bitter person you pick at every single piece of 'evidence' that supports your hatred and twist it and throw away anything that doesn't.
I notice you didn't comment anything about all the good work that is done by all the dog owners in the park.
That's because it doesn't match with what you already believe so it's just conveniently ignored.

annie

Postby annie » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:45 am

Last edited by annie on Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

annie

Postby annie » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:46 am

Last edited by annie on Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

annie

Postby annie » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:47 am

For you to comment in a balanced way about dogs is like asking a racist about the benefits of multiculturalism.

Hey, nothing like a extremist comment to liven up the day eh?

We get it, you hate dogs and were probably bitten/jumped up at as a kid, which is awful by the way. (I'm someone who believes dogs should be firmly under control at all times).

No, not really. So long as they are friendly, aren't shoving their noses into my crotch or shitting in public places. But thanks for your twisted psychoanalysis

But since then just like any prejudiced/bitter person you pick at every single piece of 'evidence' that supports your hatred and twist it and throw away anything that doesn't.

I comment on the parts that are relevant

I notice you didn't comment anything about all the good work that is done by all the dog owners in the park.

Because it's not relevant

Thanks, BTW, for not mentioning the dog shit. Wouldn't want to force you to address anything remotely relevant, other than my clear hatred of dogs.

To clarify... I hate dog shit.

Is that easier?

annie

Postby annie » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:00 pm

swear_words_not_allowed, I hate phpBB... bloody quoting system and inability to delete mistakes. BAH.

scottie

Postby scottie » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:02 pm

I addressed the dog shit issue in the original post. It is completely relevant that the majority of dog owners
in Beech road park pick up after themselves and help clean up the park for others but you don't want to admit that as it would weaken your argument and obvious hatred of dogs (as you've made clear on many occasions).
But yes I hate treading in dog shit too (who doesn't?) that we can agree on but blame the minority of bad owners not the dogs.

annie

Postby annie » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:05 pm

scottie wrote:I addressed the dog shit issue in the original post. It is completely relevant that the majority of dog owners
in Beech road park pick up after themselves and help clean up the park for others but you don't want to admit that as it would weaken your argument and obvious hatred of dogs (as you've made clear on many occasions).
But yes I hate treading in dog shit too (who doesn't?) that we can agree on but blame the minority of bad owners not the dogs.

Puny response. No dog owner ever admits to letting their shit machine crap inappropriately.

PS: Don't "hate".. just "dislike"... which, last time I looked, is still legal.

scottie

Postby scottie » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:11 pm

annie wrote:
scottie wrote:I addressed the dog shit issue in the original post. It is completely relevant that the majority of dog owners

Puny response. No dog owner ever admits to letting their shit machine crap inappropriately.

And no one with clear and blindingly obvious prejudices (that every one else can see) ever admits it

Hate or dislike whatever - you don't like dogs so how can you ever make balanced and fair judgements over these issues without exaggerating the negative points?

annie

Postby annie » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:22 pm

scottie wrote:
annie wrote:

And no one with clear and blindingly obvious prejudices (that every one else can see) ever admits it

Hate or dislike whatever - you don't like dogs so how can you ever make balanced and fair judgements over these issues without exaggerating the negative points?

God you're thick.

scottie

Postby scottie » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:29 pm

Ha ha is that the best you can do? :D
When you resort to comments like that you know you've lost the argument.

annie

Postby annie » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:05 pm

Do you get your ripostes from the Oxford Dictionary of Tired Old Chestnuts too?

I bet you're thick enough to want the last word too.

Return to “Discussions”