Redevelopment of Blockbuster video store

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
no2bmr

Redevelopment of Blockbuster video store

Postby no2bmr » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:05 pm

There appears to be a fair bit of disquiet aboout the redevelopment of the Blockbuster video store into a supermarket and 12 flats.

If you have a concern, you've got until 14th July to get an objection in to the council. If you need more info, please feel free to ask on here, PM me or contact me at the email address [url=mailto:no2bmr@gmail.com]here[/url].

annie

Re: Redevelopment of Blockbuster video store

Postby annie » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:04 am

Does there? Why?...

There's a supermarket already, and it's next door to a KFC shitbox... I'd have thought that would be perfectly fine...

Or is this just another NIMBY thing?
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

no2bmr

Postby no2bmr » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:09 am

Annie,

If you'd be happy to have a three story building rammed right up against the back of your house, let me know and I'll pass your details on to Morrisons.

Plus three stores means three times as many delivery trucks.

They're trying to cram a lot of people into a very small area....

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:01 am

alr1970

Postby alr1970 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:56 am

Pearl wrote:Is it this one?

Yes. Looks fine to me, it will certainly be smarter than what's there now, and Morrisons haven't claimed all the space for themselves but are adding a couple of small retail units for other businsses.

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:42 am

Someone told me it was going to be an Aldi which would have been much better - do we really need another Morrisons so close to the existing one ?

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:14 pm

This will be a Morrisons 'Local', for that read - Morrisons 'Rip local people off'.

It would be delightful if Aldi somehow turned up in Chorlton, and put Morrisons, Tesco and the Co-op, to the sword.

But Aldi require a bigger site, with more space for car parking.

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:13 pm

Yes, i was hoping that they would have taken the whole site and we could have got rid of the retch inducing KFC too...

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:53 pm

There will be the usual Nimby protests, but a similar proposal won planning permission in 2002. So it must stand a very good chance of success. It will obviously look a lot better than the Blockbuster shed, but it is overdevelopment. The parking spaces are already more or less used up all day as it is and the flats are small, so it's bound to get congested. But I don't plan to respond to the council either way.

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:15 pm

So Morrisons have bought the petrol station on the hill next to their current supermarket AND the station opposite the park on Barlow Moor Road? A bit depressing on the face of it but both places were poorly ran, and I imagine the second site was bought with an eye on Tesco.

no2bmr

Postby no2bmr » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:39 pm

Stephen's thoughts coincide with my own. The developer is trying to cram maximum occupancy into the space. The building looks tall enough to overpower the rest of the area. Take a look at the block of flats that are already there and how tight they are to the houses behind - would you want to be confronted with that first thing in the morning when you throw back the curtains? And it will get congested during peak traffic times.

Danny

Postby Danny » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:55 pm

blenkinsop wrote:It would be delightful if Aldi somehow turned up in Chorlton, and put Morrisons, Tesco and the Co-op, to the sword.

Or even better, Lidl.

Phila

Postby Phila » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:00 pm

Whatever happened to KwikSave?

Danny

Postby Danny » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:04 pm

Phila wrote:Whatever happened to KwikSave?

Seems there's one in Little Lever.

What happened to Fine Fare?

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:33 am

KwikSave was swallowed up by Somerfield, which rebranded most of the stores in its own name and sold others to Netto. Later the brand and a handful of stores were sold to investors interested in a revival, this failed and KwikSave changed hands a couple more times. It now belongs to Costcutter. Fine Fare was also bought by Somerfield in the mid-1980s. Somerfield had traded as Gateway or Food Giant until the early 1990s. Somerfield was later bought by Co-op and Netto was bought by Asda (who immediately sold some stores, like Whalley Range, to Co-op to satisfy competition regulations). Netto is also due to come back as a joint venture between its Danish owners and Sainsbury's.

Return to “Discussions”