Redevelopment of Blockbuster video store

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
CharlieB

Re: Redevelopment of Blockbuster video store

Postby CharlieB » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:37 am

I'll be heartbroken to see the old Blockbuster building go.

Every working morning over the last couple of years, i've sat in the traffic on my way out of town and admired its fragile beauty and stunning facade.

If only we'd thought to get in touch with World Heritage, it could have been saved.

If someone knocked down that building and replaced it with a burning mountain of tyres, I would suggest that that was still a moderate improvement.

Those little Morrisons/Tescos/Sainsburys are always a rip off. As ever, i'll avoid them and give my money to the brothers Khawaja.

no2bmr

Postby no2bmr » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:08 pm

I just realised I've not been on here for a while, so here's an update:

The matter went for review at the Council Chambers this month but it didn't last long as we were the first item on the agenda and they unaminously agreed to a site visit next month, so our bit of the meeting was over.

This is good news as it indicates that the Council are undecided on how to proceed (the Planning Officer recommended approving the Application in her report).

It's generally felt that the site visit to Chorton Bookshop was instrument in getting the Council to overturn the recommendation of putting a bar next to the owner's bedroom- so we're hoping that this visit can do the same for us.

No-one's denying that the Blockbuster site needs redeveloping, but putting a building in place which is 40% taller and much longer than the existing one there with insufficient parking and constant deliveries from sevice trucks is hardly going to enhance the area. If the two smaller shops prove unsuccessful - which is likely as they will not be very visible from the road - Morrison's could expand into them leaving us with the prospect of a large supermarked budged up right next to a residential area.

The next Council meeting is scheduled for Thursday 11th December, so it's 99.9% likely that that's when the site visit will take place (presumably, it could get bumped to a later date if there are more pressing matters for the Council to attend to. but that's not viewed as very likely at this stage). We don't know what the exact time will be as yet, but it's likely to be between 10-11am. The matter will then be discussed and decided upon in the Council Chambers in the afternoon. When we have final confirmation we'll let everyone on here know, but, in the meantime, if you wish to show opposition to the scale of this development, please keep the date of the 11th of December in mind.

If anyone would like to join our opposition group, please email no2bmr@gmail.com and we're on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/events/687494998024234/

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:42 pm

no2bmr wrote:If the two smaller shops prove unsuccessful - which is likely as they will not be very visible from the road - Morrison's could expand into them leaving us with the prospect of a large supermarket

Surely if Morrisons wanted all the retail space they wouldn't have proposed breaking it up into three units. Large or small, the new Morrisons will be a lot smarter than the derilict Blockbuster, although parking will be an issue especially for those living in the flats above the shops.

andy_landy

Postby andy_landy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:40 am

wait, what, we're getting a second morrisons? and what is wrong with just the one, exactly? is this going to be like some overspill morrisons? selling bits and bobs that nobody wants to buy? or will it actually be a useful addition.

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:02 pm

andy_landy wrote:wait, what, we're getting a second morrisons? and what is wrong with just the one, exactly? is this going to be like some overspill morrisons? selling bits and bobs that nobody wants to buy? or will it actually be a useful addition.

This need argument is so very bogus. I'm sure some people thought 'we don't need another Indian restaurant' when Coriander opened and you could reasonably argue they were proved right when Azad Manzil closed. But we've effectively swapped a tired old restaurant that had seen better days with something much better. If the new Morrison's really does sell 'bits and bobs that nobody wants to buy', it won't last long. Just as Blockbuster didn't last in the face of too few people wanting to rent DVDs and games. I expect I'll be using the new Morrison's, which looks like very good news for that site. If Tesco and Co-op suffer as a result, so what. May the best store win.
Last edited by stephennewton on Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:30 pm

A Morrisons 'convenience' store will succeed in the Blockbuster location, as they will charge prices they could only dream about in their regular supermarkets.

The only shopkeeper to have the same prices in all their stores, big or small, is Asda. However, Asda charge £2 for 10 large eggs, but they are £1 at Aldi.

It could be argued though, that saturation point is being reached in Chorlton with these expensive convenience stores, which generally don't compete with each other directly, as this one will with the Tesco Express across the road.

This may be good for customers, in the current climate (price war?) - but it would be much better if Aldi or Lidl were to turn up in Chorlton.

Chorlton Precinct would suit a proper discounter, but an upmarket chain is allegedly in the offing.

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:41 pm

To be honest I've found Aldi overhyped. I went in the other week (Arndale) for some bread rolls. They were a little cheaper than Morrisons (Piccadilly) but they were a third of the size. Blockinsop may be right about Asda prices across their stores, but Morrisons also make a big deal out of charging the same for fresh food in all stores. The Tesco and, in particular, the heavily overpriced Co-op, will be hit.

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:39 pm

How much of a lazy bastard would you have to be to go to a smaller Morrisons a five minute walk from their big store?

That said, rather that than going to Ludo for £4 scotch eggs whilst everyone pretends to be French.

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:00 pm

still_ill wrote:How much of a lazy bastard would you have to be to go to a smaller Morrisons a five minute walk from their big store?

Handbags at dawn?

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:27 pm

[quote="still_ill"]How much of a lazy bastard would you have to be to go to a smaller Morrisons a five minute walk from their big store?

How much of a cheapskate would you have to be to go to a larger Morrisons a twenty minute walk (round trip) from their big store to save 10p on a pint of milk?

oswaldgold

Postby oswaldgold » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:28 am

no2bmr

Postby no2bmr » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:05 pm

Well, here we go - site visit and planning meeting tomorrow - Thursday 11th.

Please try and make it down if you can and pleeeeze don't let the bad weather put you off! We have a couple of surprises lined up for the site visit!

The visit to the site is at approximately 10:50 and the meeting in the Council Chambers at 2pm. Please try to arrive 15 mins early to each if you can.

Remember - we're not saying "no" to the site being redeveloped or Blockbusters being demolished - we're just trying to get something that the local area can actually absorb. Let's see if we can strike another blow for "people power"!

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:42 pm

What happened then?

no2bmr

Postby no2bmr » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:44 pm

The application has been accepted.

The site visit appeared to go well in the morning and was well attended by local residents (thanks to all who were able to turn up) and to be honest I thought we had a chance. However what seemed to go against us was a previous proposal to develop the site in a similar manner made in 2002 which the Council accepted at that time. Although the development period has now expired, had the Council refused the application this time around the matter would have gone to appeal and the Council would have had to justify their decision to change their mind. The appeal process is very costly and is apparently something Manchester City Council is very risk-adverse to getting involved in, even though we pointed out all the changes to the area since 2002: the conversion of the Feathers pub into a Tesco, the new building developments, the increasing number of empty shops in Chorlton centre and the rising traffic and parking levels.

The first question the Planning Committee asked at the meeting was about the 2002 development and the developer made plenty of references to it during his speech. Several people “in the know” have confirmed to me afterwards that it would definitely have been a factor that was at the front of their minds.

It’s pretty sickening that an application from 12 years ago and which had passed its development expiry date (2006) could influence a decision in 2014, but that’s the way these things seem to go.

We did make two small gains through the process: the west facing living room widows which would overlooked Claude Road have now been removed and the retail parking area will be open to the public between the hours of 11pm-7.30am (not sure how much use that will be), but overall I found it hard to shake the feeling that the state simply isn’t on the side of the ordinary citizen in matters like this.

The whole thing has been pretty grueling and all I can say is that I hope nothing like this ever happens to you.

Thank you again to all the people who expressed their support.

Return to “Discussions”