K-itchen advice and recommendations?

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Sarah_B

K-itchen advice and recommendations?

Postby Sarah_B » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:00 pm

I would like to modernise my k-itchen. It's getting a bit old but I do like the layout etc so don't want to change that.

Rather than getting the old units taken out and replaced with new ones in the same place I was thinking of getting new cupboard doors and new worktop surfaces as well instead.

I'm not sure how much this would cost? However I presume less than half the price of a brand new k-itchen.

I don't have fitted in (hidden) appliances so will just keep what I've already got and in the same place.

I would like to hear any advice anyone could share please. Any recommendations of anyone that's done a good job and what the typical price would be very approximately.

I 'googled' average price of a new k-itchen and it said £8,000 but I would say a complete k-itchen re-design would be a bit less than that but saying that I think just new cupboard doors and new work tops would be fine and a lot cheaper than that too.

In terms of work surfaces I do like the black shiny granite surfaces but I believe they scratch very easily. Again any advice in terms of work surfaces would be good please. In terms of the look I'm going for it would be a modern, comtemporary look.

Thank you in advance for any helpful replies.

Pearl

Re: K-itchen advice and recommendations?

Postby Pearl » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:42 pm

Sarah, I had mine done by a terrific woman called Lorraine Moore. She's mainly a furniture designer and maker, but turns her hand to k-itchen cabinets, replacement doors and worktops etc too. Way cheaper than you might expect and great to work with. Also a very good eye for design, not surprisingly, and uses very durable and good quality materials. I'd highly recommend her (and she is not my sister or anything!).

http://www.designermakers.org.uk/LorraineMoore.html

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:48 pm

Thank you Pearl, I'm sure I will give her a call for a quote.

I am also now wondering if I should get my k-itchen tiles replaced too ..... I'm thinking about this it might be a bigger job than I first thought.

If anybody has had their k-itchen refitted and is willing to share any advice or recommendations I'd be grateful to hear.

I'm not in any hurry at the moment just thinking about designs I like and looking to hear of any people/companies that have done a good job.

Thank you

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:42 pm

Hi Sarah
It is very likely you will have to replace your wall tiles if you replace your worktops as they would be likely to be damaged when removing the worktops. It would be very difficult to fit new worktops with the tiles in place. It may also present a problem when adding fascia panels.

If you are looking for modern then you may want to consider upstands and/or splashbacks. Also bear in mind that when you remove wall tiles if the plaster is old then it might come off too so it can be a bigger job than you expect.

Just be wary of the cost of 'stone' worktops as they cost considerably more than wood and are much more expensive to fit as well as being a lot heavier. Black will also (obviously) aborb a lot of light so may not suit a smaller or underlit K.

Major costs in fitting a new K are the units, appliances, plumbing/electrics and of course joinery. You should be able to get worktops & doors for substantially less than half of the 8K you quote, but it depends how much you want to spend on the materials . If you don't replace appliances or do any plumbing or electrics then you save a lot of money

Other things to consider to change the look of your K:
decorating - obvious but true
lighting - can make a massive difference e.g. directed spots, different tones of light, grand light fittings, under cabinet lights, etc
appliances - i know you said you wanted to keep them but a fancy new sink/tap makes a big difference

suggest you start looking at magazines to get an idea of what you like then get people in to quote to do the work..

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:31 am

I dithered quite a bit on worktops and drove my friends and acquaintances mad by demanding to see theirs and bombarding them with questions. I went for safe conventional oak in the end - bought cheaply online and beautifully fitted by Lorraine. With zillions of coats of danish oil it's still looking great. It's a personal thing of course, but I didn't want anything too dark and shiny and hard that might make clashy noises when I put anything down.

I'd strongly agree with Munchkin about decoration and light too. I thought my k was going to look dull and bland and old ladyish because I'd bottled out of statement-type retro formica and whatnot, and had even gone for the cheapest and ordinariest plain white tiles, but it really doesn't. Blinds, plants, and the general stuff you have in the k are a massively safer and flexible way of making it look stylish imo.

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:21 am

PS: Another thing I've done in the past when strapped for cash is just to paint the units and fit new handles. You can paint pretty well any kind of surface if you rub it down well and use the right kind of primer or whatever. Eggshell paint in a light colour can look rather nice imo, or something more dramatic in gloss. If you can be bothered you can always change it again if you hate it.

Return to “Discussions”