Trams on Hardy Lane

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Bruce R

Trams on Hardy Lane

Postby Bruce R » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:28 am

I woke at about 2.30am last night to 'go to the bathroom' and while there heard the noise of what sounded like a train passing. I thought this must be a tram as there was some footage of a 1am test on the net about ten days ago. I stayed up and sure enough a tram with the headboard 'Tram on test' passed back and forth another three or four times at some speed. So things are moving quickly now...

I have been looking forward to this happening for nearly 20 years but equally have had worries about the plans to run trams to the airport all through the night because of the noise. If last night was anything to go by, I may be in for a few sleepless nights but I'll just have to wait and see.

FurFoxAche

Re: Trams on Hardy Lane

Postby FurFoxAche » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:27 pm

If even minor changes are made to roads, compensation may be due to homeowners affected by physical factors (noise, pollution etc). I don't know if it is the same for tram schemes. Regardless, they have a duty to reduce noise as much as possible for people along the route.

annie

Postby annie » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:21 pm

Being a residential area, I expect they'll have to do a lot of noise reduction on the rails.

I lived on Hardy Lane a while back and the noise from the No. 85 buses was pretty bad. I expect the trams will be just as bad, if not worse.

They do stop before midnight though.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

steved

Postby steved » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:47 pm

I was under the impression the service to the airport is 24 Hours?

FurFoxAche

Postby FurFoxAche » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:49 pm

Eventually it will be, yes. I'm not sure if that is straight away or when the city centre second crossing works are complete.

steved

Postby steved » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:26 pm

Right - Do you know when the city centre crossings scheduled for completion?

FurFoxAche

Postby FurFoxAche » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:06 pm

2017 apparently, although they've delivered the airport line ahead of schedule, so could be earlier.

http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/ar ... plans.html

Not sure if thats a definite in terms of 24hr trams though, might be worth tweeting the TfGM or Metrolink accounts and asking.

Bruce R

Postby Bruce R » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:34 pm

i did ask about this at a TFGM consultation event some time ago and was told that nothing would change their minds about 24 hour running but that if noise was a problem they would install something to lessen it - though I can't think that they can put up fences in Hardy Lane and am not sure what other alternatives there are. Anyhow I'll see what happens.

Work has already started on the City Centre crossing at what used to be G-Mex.

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:07 am

Yes, there's a lot of work going on in town for the second city crossing, with mega-disruption on the way for 2015-2016:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... re-7395940

As well as the stop closing for 14 months, it seems to say that there will be 16 weeks when trams cannot go THROUGH St Peters Square either, which I guess means we'd only be able to get as far as Deansgate Castlefield.

Back to the 86 . . .

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:10 am

This is on the metrolink website:

Airport line - public information drop-in sessions

This is to inform you of changes to our regular drop-in sessions for the new Metrolink extension to Manchester Airport (Published:19/06/2014)

These are informal sessions to providing residents with the opportunity to meet members of the Metrolink team on a one-to-one basis and ask questions they may have regarding the scheme. The new dates and venues for the drop-in sessions are now set out below and we would like to invite you to attend:

St Barnabas Church, Hardy Lane, Chorlton
Wednesday 11 June 2014 (4pm – 6pm) and then from July onwards, every second Monday of the month (4pm – 6pm).

Return to “Discussions”