Struggling to find a nursery!

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
EmmaW

Struggling to find a nursery!

Postby EmmaW » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:32 am

I know i posted about this some time ago - but coudlnt get my son into any local nursery before I went back to work, so he's been attending one near my workplace. I'm looking to move him to somewhere closer to home, and have been to visit the lighthouse centre on sandy lane, and little learners in stretford.

They both seem reasonable, but i'm really looking for a reason to choose one over the other, does anyone have children who either are attending, or have attended the lighthouse centre on Sandy lane, or Little learners in Stretford? I'd be really grateful to hear some personal opinions, reccomendations or otherwise!

Thanks
Emma

FurFoxAche

Re: Struggling to find a nursery!

Postby FurFoxAche » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:57 am

I hear Little Learners is meant to be really good and a friend has just signed her kid up to it.

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:00 pm

our daughter is at lighthouse and she loves it.

most of the staff are very good - some of them are lovely - but the management can be a bit shambolic. you have to pay all the time even for public holidays or when it's closed(!), etc but I think they are all a bit like that. It appears to be owned and run by the church but I have not seen any religious slant to the care so it doesn't appear to be an issue for non-christians like myself.

they are probably a little less creative than Oaklands (wilbraham road - which you could also consider) where my son used to go but for us it is far more convenient as it is near our house and on the school run - and it is (or was) cheaper. If my daughter didn't like it then I think we would have moved her...

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:16 pm

I forgot to add 1 thing about little learners that I never noticed when my son was at Oaklands.

I commute to work down wilbraham road and back every day and the traffic congestion caused by cars picking their kids up from little learners in the evenings can be quite considerable. They seem to have limited car parking inside but a lot of people seem to want to drive in instead of parking on the road.

I guess that it also means that it takes a lot longer for the parents as well - don't know if that would be issue for you but thought I would mention it.

FurFoxAche

Postby FurFoxAche » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:08 pm

Read Oakland's latest OFSTED report. Its shocking!

This provision is inadequate

 The manager and leaders of the nursery have a poor understanding of the Statutory
framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage, and consequently, have failed to
identify where there are several breaches in legal requirements. This means that
children are not always effectively safeguarded.

 Inadequate levels of supervision, ineffective staff deployment and ineffective risk
assessments impact on children's well-being and compromise children's safety.

 Children are not always protected from the risk of cross-infection due to poor staff
hygiene practices.

 The manager's monitoring of individual staff practice is weak. As a result, the quality of
teaching is inconsistent, particularly in relation to following children's interests and
supporting children who speak English as an additional language. This results in some
children lacking enthusiasm for learning.

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:38 pm

That's an old (2013) report. There is a newer one on the Ofsted website which shows they have improved . It's a useful resource as I didn't know you could view the reports

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-rep ... E/EY387260

FurFoxAche

Postby FurFoxAche » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:38 pm

Good spot although that last one was only from November last year. Must've given them a proper kick up the backside.

EmmaW

Postby EmmaW » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:43 pm

Thank you all very much, I had read the oaklands report from Christmas 2013 and I'm afraid it put me right off - they went from 2 - good to inadequate - 4. In 12 months and the report was very detailed. Health and safety hazards, poor nappy changing hygiene, understaffed etc etc. the nursery he is in now just received an outstanding rating and I just wasn't comfortable moving him to one with an inadequate rating.

Thanks for the details re the lighthouse and little learners, lighthouse is more convient for me work wise but I didn't just want to make the choice based on my convienence :-). Really helpful to hear some reviews of both places. I thought traffic and parking might me a problem at ll.

KingNailer

Postby KingNailer » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:11 pm

EmmaW wrote:Thank you all very much, I had read the oaklands report from Christmas 2013 and I'm afraid it put me right off - they went from 2 - good to inadequate - 4. In 12 months and the report was very detailed. Health and safety hazards, poor nappy changing hygiene, understaffed etc etc. the nursery he is in now just received an outstanding rating and I just wasn't comfortable moving him to one with an inadequate rating.

Thanks for the details re the lighthouse and little learners, lighthouse is more convient for me work wise but I didn't just want to make the choice based on my convienence :-). Really helpful to hear some reviews of both places. I thought traffic and parking might me a problem at ll.

little learners is ace, they do charge for bank hols etc when closed but let you have a day in lieu, i would'nt take much notice of ofsted reports either

annie

Postby annie » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:35 pm

Yeah. Speak to people. Stop putting your faith in artificial standards created by a dodgy quango.

OFSTED'S opinion would be the last one I'd take into account, if choosing a nursery or school.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

EmmaW

Postby EmmaW » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:14 pm

Erm yes, that would be why I'm on here, speaking to people, asking for personal reccomendations...

Return to “Discussions”