Mauldeth Road / Trams

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
annie

Mauldeth Road / Trams

Postby annie » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:30 am

Since I drive down Mauldeth Road every day to go to work, it has been my displeasure to see the lines being laid from Chorlton High School to Hardy Lane.

It has taken years to essentially lay down a few hundred yards of track and cabling.Often, there's no-one to be seen, and no actual work being done. I know this is a common remark, but they REALLY have been on a go-slow with this.

Also, for some bizarre reason, the tracks between the old Southern and the tram stop at the lights are fully exposed and unprotected, amounting to a massive trip hazard for people crossing the tracks at night. The other sections are set into the road, so why raise these ones up in such a crazy manner?
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

stephennewton

Re: Mauldeth Road / Trams

Postby stephennewton » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:55 am

To be fair, they are a year ahead of schedule so someone's been working. Tripping hazard might mean you really can get legless on a night out in Chorlton.

Bruce R

Postby Bruce R » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:55 am

I think the trip hazard is probably temporary. I asked two surveyors down Hardy Lane last week and they are going to put another inch thick layer on top of what's already there, bringing the level of the pavement up to that of the currently protruding kerbstones.

As for being a year ahead of schedule, that doesn't say much for their [project management skills. I suspect everything was stretched out to begin with, which reduces the risk of having to pay penalties.

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:19 pm

Bruce R wrote:As for being a year ahead of schedule, that doesn't say much for their [project management skills. I suspect everything was stretched out to begin with, which reduces the risk of having to pay penalties.

There's no pleasing some folk.

Mr Squirrel

Postby Mr Squirrel » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:34 pm

annie wrote:It has taken years to essentially lay down a few hundred yards of track and cabling.

The most time consuming part is to locate every water pipe, gas pipe, sewer, electricity cable, phone cable, Virgin media cable, traffic light cable and anything else that's buried under the roads and pavements, and arrange for the relevant people from United Utilities, BT, Virgin, etc. to come and relocate all of them away from the tram tracks, or to arrange a safe way of passing them under the tracks. That all has to be completed before any track gets laid.

To make it harder, there's often no maps or plans showing old cables and pipes - they just have to dig holes everywhere and see what they find.

And under Cross St in the city centre they have even more problems: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/more-100-bodies-found-beneath-7653734
A short attention span is very... Oh look, chocolate!

Bruce R

Postby Bruce R » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:26 pm

Stephen,
I am very pleased it is nearly ready now. I have waited 18 years for it. I am just cynical about why they specified that it would take more than a year more than has proved necessary
Bruce

Mr Squirrel

Postby Mr Squirrel » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:00 pm

A short attention span is very... Oh look, chocolate!

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:53 pm

Crikey, that's even earlier than they said!

Another more minor but very welcome improvement is that the indicator boards now tell us when a tram is going to be a double one, so you know whether to wait for the next one or not. This is seriously helpful if you really need to get a seat.

gitface

Postby gitface » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:00 pm

I was super impressed by that this morning. Although from a distance it looked as though the time to the next tram was 6618 minutes, which was worrying until I gt closer and worked out what was going on...

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:14 pm

I suppose this means then that the service from Chorlton to town will effectively be every 6 minutes? Sounds good.

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:07 pm

Yes, looks like it, which is good news, but is the airport line initially going to involve a change at Cornbrook?

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:20 pm

Pearl wrote:Yes, looks like it, which is good news, but is the airport line initially going to involve a change at Cornbrook?

Yes, but trams to town are every three minutes from Cornbrook, so if the first tram to come along is Cornbrook it'll still be quicker to get that than hang around for a Rochdale tram. If you're going to Piccadilly, you currently have to change anyway and so this should make that journey easier. When the second city crossing opens in 2017, this tram will go direct to Piccadilly (and maybe Ashton).

Bruce R

Postby Bruce R » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:33 am

stephennewton wrote:
Pearl wrote:Yes, looks like it, which is good news, but is the airport line initially going to involve a change at Cornbrook?

Yes, but trams to town are every three minutes from Cornbrook, so if the first tram to come along is Cornbrook it'll still be quicker to get that than hang around for a Rochdale tram. If you're going to Piccadilly, you currently have to change anyway and so this should make that journey easier. When the second city crossing opens in 2017, this tram will go direct to Piccadilly (and maybe Ashton).

Stephen,

I was wondering (and tried unsuccessfully to find out on the web) what the final destination of the airport trams would be once the city centre crossing was finished. You think Piccadilly / Ashton. Where did you see this?

Presumably the East Didsbury trams will still go to Rochdale. So, all in all, a great service for Chorltonians.

Bruce

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:50 am

To be honest, I've not seen anything recently to this effect, although I've always heard it described as a Piccadilly - Airport line in the past. It would make little sense to run East Didsbury and the airport via Victoria. That said, you'd be better off getting a train to Piccadilly from the airport as the tram will be almost an hour (45 mins to Cornbrook, then 10 to Piccadilly) as opposed to 13 to 25 minutes. The real point is to give Wythenshawe a public transport infrastructure as it currently has nothing but buses.

Bruce R

Postby Bruce R » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:54 am

Just after my last post a letter came through the door which confirmed the November 3rd date - it was identical to the MEN article! It also contained advice such as not flying kites near the power lines.

Bruce

Return to “Discussions”