Mauldeth Road / Trams

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
FurFoxAche

Re: Mauldeth Road / Trams

Postby FurFoxAche » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:08 pm

Airport trams will turn at Victoria.

alr1970

Postby alr1970 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:30 am

FurFoxAche wrote:Airport trams will turn at Victoria.

Until the second city crossing down Cross St is built, airport trams will turn at Cornbrook. There isn't enough tram-traffic capacity through the city centre at present.

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:32 am

alr1970 wrote:Until the second city crossing down Cross St is built, airport trams will turn at Cornbrook. There isn't enough tram-traffic capacity through the city centre at present.

Thanks , but we've already covered that. We were discussing what happens once the second city crossing is open.

FurFoxAche

Postby FurFoxAche » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:46 am

Yep thats right, Vic isn't finished yet and 2CC certainly isn't finished, but when they are the trams will use that route and turn at Vic.

annie

Postby annie » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:54 pm

Saw a tram on test today on Mauldeth Road West.

Not so delighted to see that the traffic lights at the Chorlton High turnoff red on both sides of the road, when the tram approaches, when only the one side is required. Waste of time.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:00 pm

Is it open now to the airport?

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:31 am

ash pole wrote:Is it open now to the airport?

Yeah, it opened on Monday. Has anyone tried it yet?

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:44 pm

The train times are very strange. The first train from the Airport to Cornbrook is due in at St. Werburgh's Road at 6.21, then every 12mins after that. The third train from East Didsbury to Rochdale is also due in at St. Werburgh's Road at 6.21, then every 12mins after that. So if the trams are running to time, it's still a 12 min service. I tend to get the 6.45 Rochdale from St Werburgh's and the Cornbrook does arrive around the same time, always giving way to the Rochdale. So it's actually good that the morning rush screws up the timings and separates them out.

I would use the Barlow Moor Stop, but a four weekly ticket is £73 Vs £52 from St Werburghs (Wythenshawe people pay £87). Cornbrook is primarily a connecting service and I'm looking to connect to a Rochdale tram. Given than the Rochdale tram runs just ahead of the Cornbrook, waiting for that is 12mins if they're running to time. So it's quicker to take the 10 min walk from Barlow Moor Road to St. Werburgh's.

annie

Postby annie » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:03 pm

stephennewton wrote:The train times are very strange. The first train from the Airport to Cornbrook is due in at St. Werburgh's Road at 6.21, then every 12mins after that. The third train from East Didsbury to Rochdale is also due in at St. Werburgh's Road at 6.21, then every 12mins after that. So if the trams are running to time, it's still a 12 min service. I tend to get the 6.45 Rochdale from St Werburgh's and the Cornbrook does arrive around the same time, always giving way to the Rochdale. So it's actually good that the morning rush screws up the timings and separates them out.

I would use the Barlow Moor Stop, but a four weekly ticket is £73 Vs £52 from St Werburghs (Wythenshawe people pay £87). Cornbrook is primarily a connecting service and I'm looking to connect to a Rochdale tram. Given than the Rochdale tram runs just ahead of the Cornbrook, waiting for that is 12mins if they're running to time. So it's quicker to take the 10 min walk from Barlow Moor Road to St. Werburgh's.

PARKLIFE!
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

gitface

Postby gitface » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:59 pm

I thought the airport trams were (allegedly) going to run 24 hours. Is that no longer the case? Or just not the case until Victoria and 2cc are finished?

I had also been looking forward to a closer to 6 minute wait between trams, but they do seem to remain pretty close to each other as far as I can tell. It may have cut the wait down from 12 to 11 minutes. Shame really...

I can't get used to the layout of the new trams they're using on the airport line. It feels odd, but then her indoors reckons I'm "on the spectrum", so make of that what you will...

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:05 pm

http://www.metrolink.co.uk/tramtimes/Pages/default.aspx
They all start and finish at similar times. To be fair they run fairly late. I've a suspicion the 24-hour thing will turn out to have been an urban myth. The tram is timetabled at 55mins from Piccadilly to the Airport, while the train varies between 15 and 22 minutes and runs through the night, so the tram doesn't improve the city's link to its airport that much. It's pointed out that the tram is more about creating some infrastructure in Wythenshawe, where lots of airport workers live. But you'd have thought these workers would be working shifts and so require a 24 hour service.

andy_landy

Postby andy_landy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:09 pm

does anyone know how long the trams take to get from chorlton to the airport? the metrolink website tells you everything apart from the journey duration... need to take a trip out there soon... i'm guessing it'll take around 30 minutes to get there?

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:38 pm

andy_landy wrote:does anyone know how long the trams take to get from chorlton to the airport? the metrolink website tells you everything apart from the journey duration... need to take a trip out there soon... i'm guessing it'll take around 30 minutes to get there?

Last time I needed to know the length of a journey, I emailed metrolink because I couldn't find it on their website. They replied within minutes, gave me the information I wanted and apologised that you can only get this on the smartphone app at the moment.

belperfury

Postby belperfury » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:59 am

CharlieB

Postby CharlieB » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:03 pm

Takes me 35 mins from Firswood to Peel Hall (two stops short of the airport).

Return to “Discussions”