Oswald Road school extension

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
aroundM21

Oswald Road school extension

Postby aroundM21 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:52 pm

Crikey I'm glad we don't go to school there --- the builders haven't finished so school start had to be delayed by a week.
It looks like the same problem hit Springfield School in Sale.

Oswald Road apparently informed parents during the holiday. I don't know whether there was advance notice of the possibility but given just a few weeks to re-arrange work or find child-care is a nightmare scenario.

I hope they get a decent playing ground out of this too. Not much space and extra kids to fill it ...

I suppose it's better than living where nobody else wants to --- but all the same ....

lister

Re: Oswald Road school extension

Postby lister » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:56 pm

It looks horrendous aswell, who designed it? Who approved it? Not exactly sensitive to the remarkable original building...

sky blue

Postby sky blue » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:52 pm

The delay is 2 days, not a week. They should have gone back on Thursday but now start on Monday. I think most parents would have anticipated the possibility of a delayed start. The design is to a budget, the original plan was to knock down the whole building and build a complete new modern school. Unfortunately public spending cuts put paid to that so we are left with a compromise. I'm not sure the original building could be accurately described as remarkable. It's not a great looking building but more importantly it's not a good educational environment. There's no proper hall, what there is is too small and there's no stage. The children can't see out of the windows as they are too high and it must cost a fortune to heat the place. There's no proper k i t c h e n or staff room. I think the children and their parents will be more concerned with the improved facilities inside rather than the external appearance of the new extension.

EmmaF

Postby EmmaF » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:01 pm

Sky blue : I could not have put that better! Having walked around the new build tonight, it looks fantastic and a 2 day over run is nothing compared to what might have been. Can't wait to see inside next week :D

alr1970

Postby alr1970 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:59 pm

annie

Postby annie » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:07 pm

Tell me. Is it a legal requirement for all schools to have big noticeboards with coloured wavy cardboard borders and notices written in Comic Sans, or is it just a total lack of imagination on teachers' part? :D
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

lister

Postby lister » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:56 am

sky blue wrote:The delay is 2 days, not a week. They should have gone back on Thursday but now start on Monday. I think most parents would have anticipated the possibility of a delayed start. The design is to a budget, the original plan was to knock down the whole building and build a complete new modern school. Unfortunately public spending cuts put paid to that so we are left with a compromise. I'm not sure the original building could be accurately described as remarkable. It's not a great looking building but more importantly it's not a good educational environment. There's no proper hall, what there is is too small and there's no stage. The children can't see out of the windows as they are too high and it must cost a fortune to heat the place. There's no proper k i t c h e n or staff room. I think the children and their parents will be more concerned with the improved facilities inside rather than the external appearance of the new extension.

Really? The original building is architecturally significant http://manchesterarchiveplus.files.word ... m18035.jpg

I can understand why there was the need for additional space but I can't understand why the extension has to be so unsympathetic to the original.

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:48 pm

lister wrote:The original building is architecturally significant http://manchesterarchiveplus.files.word ... m18035.jpg

I can understand why there was the need for additional space but I can't understand why the extension has to be so unsympathetic to the original.

Ugh! That's a rather grim looking place, but I guess that's just my subjective opinion.

It does look exactly like my old primary school in London. In the late 1890s the school board for London built a large number of schools to the same design. I imagine this was cheap and that it's likely other parts or the country, like Manchester, would have done similar. Oswald Road School dates from 1909. The existence of lots of similar buildings would put a dampener on any claim to 'architectural significance'. It's a bit like turning up at Antiques Roadshow to learn that your Ming vase might well have been made in China, but is actually a contemporary knock-off.

Perhaps a more important question is whether a worthy desire to preserve architectural heritage should trump teaching children in the best designed buildings we can afford.

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:06 pm

stephennewton wrote:Perhaps a more important question is whether a worthy desire to preserve architectural heritage should trump teaching children in the best designed buildings we can afford.

Another question perhaps is whether it's worth sacrificing functionality to spend a little more on a building that is aesthetically pleasing.

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:17 pm

ash pole wrote:
stephennewton wrote:Perhaps a more important question is whether a worthy desire to preserve architectural heritage should trump teaching children in the best designed buildings we can afford.

Another question perhaps is whether it's worth sacrificing functionality to spend a little more on a building that is aesthetically pleasing.

Absolutely right. As a generation we are responsible for creating some of history's blandest architecture. We lack the confidence to rip down ugly old school buildings and put up something beautiful.

ollie_the_brave

Postby ollie_the_brave » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:30 pm

Absolutely spot on.

The new building may not be exactly aesthetically awesome or even particularly individual, but, and it is a big but, will have been built on a tight budget and will need to meet current building regulations - meaning that it will be thermally efficient, cost little to light & heat and be safe for the kids and staff who are there.

I agree, it could be much prettier, however it'll be warm in winter and cool in summer and supposedly fit for purpose. My concern would be the lack of green open space for the (soon to be many) kids at the school.

Return to “Discussions”