Security light question

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Sarah_B

Security light question

Postby Sarah_B » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:36 pm

I am thinking of getting a security light fitted - one which operates on a sensor, if somebody moves in front of the light.

I'm not an expert when it comes to security lights but I presume I can turn the sensor off, from my house as if I was in the back having a BBQ say I would not want the light going on all the time?

Also, could anybody recommend somebody that could fit a security light too?

If there is anything I'm missing please post and guide me. I'm thinking of getting the light fitted just under a back bedroom window. Do most peeps have one or two lights fitted as due to the shape of my back yard I'm thinking two lights may be more secure? (Or as there is nothing of value in one shed wonder if I need to bother with two lights).

stephennewton

Re: Security light question

Postby stephennewton » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:12 pm

The effectiveness of security lighting is overstated. In parts of this country where street lighting has been turned off (admittedly to save money) crime has fallen and studies in Detroit found the same thing. Crimes like street robbery and graffiti tend to be lower in poorly lit areas. Those who are confident enough to approach someone in the street and demand their purse or wallet simply aren't put off by street lighting, ditto graffiti artists and they all need light to work. Lighting depends on people looking out onto the area to be lit, but most people pull their curtains and stare at their TVs instead. A well lit street might also give potential victims of crime false confidence: they think they are safe because they can be seen, but fail to realise nobody's looking.

It may be that if you haven't got a problem right now, lighting up your backyard will give you one especially if it isn't overlooked by curtain twitchers. The lights may well assist a burglar rather than hinder one.

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:16 pm

Thank you for your reply Stephen.

I live in a mid-terraced house with terraces at the back overlooking my property and an alleway in between me and those houses.

Considering I have neighbours all around me, I think a security light at the back going on would raise their attention and I assumed act as a deterrent at the back. Perhaps I am wrong in thinking that way ...

I take your point regarding the research you have read and street lighting etc.

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:01 am

Stephen's reply makes a lot of sense and I certainly want it to be true.

I live in a similar-sounding house to yours, Sarah, and I have to say my neighbour's blinding lights drive me demented. I take one step into the velvety quietness of my tiny leafy garden before bedtime, and it suddenly turns into one of those dreams where you unexpectedly find yourself on a massive stage or facing some very heavy interrogation.

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:40 am

You can never guarantee you won't be burgled and could decide against lighting today and get burgled tomorrow, or get burgled the same day you install lights. Some properties are more vulnerable than others. I knew someone at university who was burgled three times in one term, but nobody else is his halls was burgled. His room was just more accessible. Fortunately for you, a mid-terrace is far less accessible than an end terrace.

Your yard may be overlooked by other terraces, but that's only useful if your neighbours spend most of their time looking out of their windows. It may feel overlooked, but it isn't really. Security lights quickly lose their novelty and fade into the background, few people will notice let alone tear themselves away from the TV. Burglars understand this very well and are able to spot a security light on a motion sensor and use it to their advantage. Similarly, few people respond to burglar alarms, which are far more obtrusive (although it's a brave thief who works through one).

ollie_the_brave

Postby ollie_the_brave » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:46 pm

Agree with all the above.

However in answer to the original question you would need to access one of the existing electrical circuits, put in an isolating switch for the new light and cable to the new light. So, providing the isolating switch is in the 'on' position the sensor on the light will turn it on via detected motion. Turn the isolating switch to the 'off' position and the light is isolated (ie has no power getting to it) and will not operate at all.

A good mate of mine was burgled fairly recently, the skinny little scrote smashed his double glazed patio doors with a hammer, under the full view of the functioning (so called) security light and the CCTV camera, ran in with the alarm screaming and nicked his ipad off the sofa. Don't for a second think that these lights deter theft!!

Another solution would be to install lower power lamps with a photocell - they will come on at dusk and go off at dawn - if you are entertaining, they'd be great too...

A good local sparky is Dave Corser at DC Electrical on 07980 555950 http://www.dcelectricalservices.co.uk/

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:44 pm

Pearl wrote: I take one step into the velvety quietness of my tiny leafy garden before bedtime, and it suddenly turns into one of those dreams where you unexpectedly find yourself on a massive stage or facing some very heavy interrogation.

Ha, ha .... you describe it very well Pearl.

Thank you for all your advice. I think I'll just leave things how they are at the moment then .....

annie

Postby annie » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:28 pm

So... there's no point in getting a light, or a burglar alarm, because the crims will just ignore them, right?

Drivel. Get what you can. Crims need darkness, so a movement triggered light will be a deterrant, and a burglar alarm is always worthwhile.

In reality, interior lamps on timers are far more effective... crims like dark houses.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

Mr Squirrel

Postby Mr Squirrel » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:47 am

ollie_the_brave wrote:A good mate of mine was burgled fairly recently, the skinny little scrote smashed his double glazed patio doors with a hammer, under the full view of the functioning (so called) security light and the CCTV camera, ran in with the alarm screaming and nicked his ipad off the sofa.

The moral of that story is don't leave your ipad (or laptop, etc) sitting around in view when you're not there. Just tuck them somewhere not visible from the window - the scrote is unlikely to risk a raid if he can't see anything worth nicking.
A short attention span is very... Oh look, chocolate!

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:54 am

annie wrote:So... there's no point in getting a light, or a burglar alarm, because the crims will just ignore them, right?

Drivel. Get what you can. Crims need darkness, so a movement triggered light will be a deterrant, and a burglar alarm is always worthwhile.

In reality, interior lamps on timers are far more effective... crims like dark houses.

Spot on regarding internal lights. Making your home look occupied is the best defence as burglars are looking for empty homes. The best burglar alarms use window tampers that go off before the glass is broken, but these are expensive. However, exterior lighting is the criminals' friend.

Return to “Discussions”