Which Chorlton spot held the 1st live gig by the Bee Gees?

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
richardfrosty

Which Chorlton spot held the 1st live gig by the Bee Gees?

Postby richardfrosty » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:31 am

I've been reading up on Manchester's history and found this little Chorlton gem.

You may know that the Gibb Brothers (the Bee Gees) lived on Keppel Road and went to Oswald Road Primary School.

But did you know they also had their first live gig here? Here's the full story:

10 Manchester places with an amazing past
Check out my website: Richard Frost - Chorlton
Follow me on Twitter: Richard Frost - Twitter
Add me on LinkedIn: Richard Frost - LinkedIn

Pearl

Re: Which Chorlton spot held the 1st live gig by the Bee Gee

Postby Pearl » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:08 pm

Thanks Richard, there's some very interesting stuff here.

It would have been nice to hear a bit about the extraordinary amount of artistic, musical and community activity that came out of the Hulme Crescents in their later years though. They were chock full of recording studios for example. More musicians than rent-payers allegedly. Yes, the Crescents had major structural, design and management problems, and I'm not arguing that they should or could have been kept, but the "Architectural Disaster" description that we hear so often doesn't really tell the whole story.

In fact the Now section could maybe mention that the nineties-built Homes for Change flats on nearby Old Birley Street deliberately incorporate and celebrate many of the more positive and popular aspects of the much-maligned Crescents!

While I'm here I might as well go the whole pedantic hog and point out that the Crescents weren't actually tower blocks were they? They were what's known as medium-rise, five or six storeys high, extremely long and with deck access. This makes things very different for people living in them, especially in terms of security. Hulme's actual tower blocks weren't demolished in the redevelopment, they were refurbished, partly because high-rise blocks with decent entry systems in central locations were and are often very popular, provided they are well-managed.

One last thing and I promise I'll stop - sadly, the Hacienda wasn't so much "turned into trendy flats" as demolished and rebuilt as them!

richardfrosty

Postby richardfrosty » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:33 pm

Hi Pearl, thanks for your feedback and glad you found the blog interesting!

I've updated the post by referring to the artistic, musical and community activity that you mentioned. You're right about the recording studios - I read there was a nightclub in there too!

Didn't know about the Homes for Change flats - I'll look into that.

I've also changed it to say that the Crescents were multi-storey blocks rather than tower blocks just for clarity. And I've updated the Hacienda entry.

Thinks that's everything :)
Check out my website: Richard Frost - Chorlton
Follow me on Twitter: Richard Frost - Twitter
Add me on LinkedIn: Richard Frost - LinkedIn

Louise

Postby Louise » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:52 pm

he Crescents weren't great to live in. If there were ever lifts they never worked. They were designed for families so lugging a pram or a buggy up many flights of stairs didn't make life easy. The flats themselves were upside down so you entered on the bedroom level. It was a paradise for pigeons. They are rock perching birds and there were all sorts of architectural features for them to perch on while they had a good old shit. There was one small balcony affair which in no way benefitted the tenant but acted as a very handy pigeon toilet until it would fill right to the top. All there was between the tenant and a ton of shit was a glass window. The council would send round a team with spades and ladders to dig it out. This did not happen very often. It was a very isolating place. The tower blocks seemed like paradise in comparison.

Return to “Discussions”