Venue room hire

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Sarah_B

Venue room hire

Postby Sarah_B » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:52 pm

A friend of mine is looking to arrange a monthly club night in the centre of Chorlton. She is looking for a venue she can hire on a Saturay night, each month, which ideally has lights and sound system already set up.

The capacity required needs to be at least 100 but ideally 100 to 200.

I'm sure I've read of places offering free room hire as long as a minimum amount is taken behind the bar.

I would be very grateful of any suggestions that I could pass on to her. She is also looking for a venue for NYE in the Chorlton/Whalley Range area however at this late stage realises that could be difficult. She's less fussy re: the lights and sound system being already there for NYE but if they were that would be a bonus. Capacity of c.150 - 200.

Many thanks for any help.

andy_landy

Re: Venue room hire

Postby andy_landy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:38 pm

the irish club perhaps? not exactly central, but the room is about the right size. i know they have semi-regular nights on there, so probably all set up for this sort of thing. no idea of rates.

also occasional things going on upstairs at the royal oak, which is about as central as it gets. though i've not been there so couldn't comment further.

hmm. not sure i'm being very helpful there. sorry!

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:14 pm

Carlton Club, Whalley Range?

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:15 pm

I once went to a do upstairs in the Royal Oak. NIce big room, own bar, and it doesn't get much more central. This was several years ago now though don't know if they're still hiring it out. Don't be put off by its reputation.

annie

Postby annie » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:54 pm

ash pole wrote:I once went to a do upstairs in the Royal Oak. NIce big room, own bar, and it doesn't get much more central. This was several years ago now though don't know if they're still hiring it out. Don't be put off by its reputation.

Last time I was there they didn't have lights or sound installed. Very old-fashioned place.

Then of course theres the fact that you have to go downstairs to smoke, and stand next to Chorlton's neanderthals. One of my gay friends was once actually verbally abused there.

I wouldn't give the place the time of day.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

annie

Postby annie » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:58 pm

Sarah_B wrote:A friend of mine is looking to arrange a monthly club night in the centre of Chorlton. She is looking for a venue she can hire on a Saturay night, each month, which ideally has lights and sound system already set up.

The capacity required needs to be at least 100 but ideally 100 to 200.

I'm sure I've read of places offering free room hire as long as a minimum amount is taken behind the bar.

I would be very grateful of any suggestions that I could pass on to her. She is also looking for a venue for NYE in the Chorlton/Whalley Range area however at this late stage realises that could be difficult. She's less fussy re: the lights and sound system being already there for NYE but if they were that would be a bonus. Capacity of c.150 - 200.

Many thanks for any help.

Most Chorlton places are empty rooms... most also have noise restrictions because it's a residential area. Even fewer will let you go on past midnight. The Irish club, previously mentioned, is probably your only place in Chorlton.

The Carlton club is really the best though in Whalley Range. Runs club night regularly, and has lights and sound built in.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

scottie

Postby scottie » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:04 am

Try the upstairs room at South West Manchester Cricket Club on Ellesmere Rd
http://www.swmcc.org.uk/function-room

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:55 pm

Thank you for those suggestions.

Regarding the Royal Oak for the reasons annie has mentioned I wouldn't go there (and I have held that view of the place for a while).

The Carlton Club does not provide lighting or a sound system, they have to be set up by the person running the night. My friend has held nights there in the past but they also charge and never have enough bar staff on. They therefore make a mint from her on those nights for little reward for my friend.

The Irish Club and South West Cricket Club are possibilities thank you. I'll suggest those.

ollie_the_brave

Postby ollie_the_brave » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:07 pm

I once went to a do above the Lloyds which was pretty good in a good sized room - this was years ago however so have no idea if they still offer such a thing. Apart from that +1 for the Irish club - they're very well equipped for all types of bash and have wonderful barstaff!

annie

Postby annie » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:38 am

ollie_the_brave wrote:I once went to a do above the Lloyds which was pretty good in a good sized room - this was years ago however so have no idea if they still offer such a thing. Apart from that +1 for the Irish club - they're very well equipped for all types of bash and have wonderful barstaff!

The Lloyds room is a good place, but a bit small. No lights or sound, and the last time we were there (2 years ago) it was in a bad state of disrepair (peeling wallpaper, sticky carpet)

The worst bit was the rude bouncers they send up from downstairs to chase everyone out. (This is before the refurb though, so policy might have changed)

Return to “Discussions”