Walking down High Lane

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Beaker78

Walking down High Lane

Postby Beaker78 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:37 pm

I was walking down High Lane when I felt a funny pain.....only joking, I'm perfectly fine and my digestive system is in excellent working order. I've noticed recently that there are a lot of things going on in Chorlton some of which I strongly disagree with. Here's some of my bug bears:

1. Inconsiderate sequencing if traffic lights on BMR/Wilbraham Road
2. Too many 2 for 1 offers on junk food in the multitude of Coop outlets in Chorlton and environs of. They are supposed to be good with food.

What are your bug bears?

blenkinsop

Re: Walking down High Lane

Postby blenkinsop » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:48 pm

Had a bank account with the Co-op all my working life, and they are sh*te, much like anything the Co-op gets hold of and cocks up. I have other bank accounts too, always planned to switch away. Trouble is, the other banks are even worse.

1.A bugbear I have is the amount of takeaway literature pushed through my letterbox.

2. Got some glossy junk through the door from Coriander today, simply covered in appalling spelling, almost malapropic. Species instead of spices, for f***'s sake.

Only been to Coriander once, don't understand the hype. Mughli in Rusholme, is the only place to go.

Beaker78

Postby Beaker78 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:43 am

Was thinking about takeaway literature the other day and how depressing it is but also tried to work out why there are so many pizza and kebab places.

How much does it cost to make a pizza? I'd guess less than £1

Anyone know the price of a donner kebab elephant's leg thingy?

Phila

Postby Phila » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:23 pm

£30-£90 apparently.
http://www.redstarfoodservice.co.uk/ind ... 11/274208/
I agree with the annoyance of too many takeaway menu's. I tend to know what I like, and I'm unlikely to try a take away in Stretford etc just cause they leaflet me.
The fact that the recycling team appear unable to get all of these and whatever else is left out from our gate to their truck without spilling some on the road is vexing, and then they don't return the bins but leave them haphazardly in the street!
Also appalling parking, and red light running.
Don't even start me on whoever is in charge of todays weather, or the budget, Isil/is, Britten Furst.......

TossPot

Postby TossPot » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:34 pm

Phila wrote:I agree with the annoyance of too many takeaway menu's.

The surfeit of apostrophes is a far greater annoyance.
'Drive-by insult merchant'

Phila

Postby Phila » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:42 pm

Hangs head in shame!
I guess it makes up for the one that I missed of 'cause

Richard_H

Postby Richard_H » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:32 pm

Does anyone know if putting up a sign by your letterbox saying "No flyers please" makes any difference - or do they just ignore it?

Phila

Postby Phila » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:46 pm

I'm not sure. I guess it's worth a go but who defines what is junk?

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:32 am

Richard_H wrote:Does anyone know if putting up a sign by your letterbox saying "No flyers please" makes any difference - or do they just ignore it?

It definitely does. We had one for a while phrased something along the lines of: 'Please, no cold callers or unsolicited deliveries or flyers. thanks' and it cut down most of it . The sign fell off a few months ago and I have noticed a significant increase in junk mail since then.

You can apparently also stop the junk that Royal Mail deliver by contacting the delivery office to add your name to a list - I haven't tried this yet though

CharlieB

Postby CharlieB » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:07 pm

That you can't get a decent in the Feathers any more. I went in there last week and it was rubbish. They had all sorts of other overpriced shite, but they only had cans of beer; nothing on draught at all. The pool table's gone as well.

And they wonder why loads of pubs are shutting down these days!

TossPot

Postby TossPot » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:22 pm

munchkin wrote:
Richard_H wrote:You can apparently also stop the junk that Royal Mail deliver by contacting the delivery office to add your name to a list - I haven't tried this yet though

I have. It works, though you still get stuff from companies you deal with.

It's called the Mail Preference Service. Be cautious of referring to this orally, as folk may get the wrong idea.

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/
'Drive-by insult merchant'

Return to “Discussions”