Outdoor play area for adults

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Beaker78

Outdoor play area for adults

Postby Beaker78 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:19 pm

They have playgrounds for kids in Chorlton but there's not much for bored adults like myself. I'd like to have some outdoor gymnastics/callisthenics rigs set up so I could practice doing human flags and cool bar exercises on.

The council seem quick to grant planning permission for new bookmakers, pubs or purveyors of junk food but less keen to promote outdoor exercises or sex parks.

ash pole

Re: Outdoor play area for adults

Postby ash pole » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:05 am

Well, planning permission for bookmakers/pubs etc doesn't cost the council anything. And some might argue that these are playgrounds for adults anyway. But not outdoors, of course.

What sort of equipment do you envisage in these play areas of yours?

Beaker78

Postby Beaker78 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:42 pm

Parallel bars, callisthenic rig, pullups bars etc

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:11 pm

Beaker 78

I have actually seen what you are referring to but only once when I was abroad in Spain. A free way to encourage the locals to keep fit and healthy and there were people using the equipment too.

However what I really would like is an outside swimming pool ...

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:34 am

Sarah_B wrote: However what I really would like is an outside swimming pool ...

Oh me too Sarah. Have you had a swim at Salford Quays at all? Salford Council offer a little bit of it as a kind of outdoor pool in the summer, and the water is reportedly like Evian. Nice and deep too. I am definitely going to try it when the weather heats up a little . . .

Unfortunately even our indoor pool is closing in June so now is the time to enjoy its quaintness while we can.

The kind of outdoor play equipment that Beaker suggests is available at Crosby on Merseyside in a great spot overlooking the estuary. Would be lovely to have some in Longford Park but I don't imagine anyone's waving money around for that sort of thing at the moment.

CharlieB

Postby CharlieB » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:56 pm

I was in Worthington Park, Sale a couple of weeks ago with my mum.

They have outdoor gym equipment, which is pretty robust and can be used for circuits etc.

http://worthingtonpark.org.uk/the-green-gym-2/

The kit's listed in this pamphlet.

http://www.salehosting.org.uk/worthingt ... eengym.pdf

Obviously, anything like this runs the risk of being vandalised, but it's a really good use of available space. The one in Sale gets used a lot, particularly by people who are looking after young kids, as it allows to them to do a bit of exercise (for free) whilst keeping an eye on their little ones at the same time.

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:21 pm

Pearl wrote:
Sarah_B wrote: Have you had a swim at Salford Quays at all? Salford Council offer a little bit of it as a kind of outdoor pool in the summer, and the water is reportedly like Evian. Nice and deep too. I am definitely going to try it when the weather heats up a little . . .

No I haven't .... I'd be interested to hear what you think of it if we get some nice, hot weather and you give it a try.

andy_landy

Postby andy_landy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:02 am

st mary's park in prestwich would appear to have some sort of outdoor gym judging by the signs otuside as i went past this weekend (out down bury new road)

Return to “Discussions”