Taxi drivers.....

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
annie

Taxi drivers.....

Postby annie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:43 am

Look, I understand that many of the local minicab drivers may be... new to Chorlton. But surely getting a cab from Whalley Range to Morley Cheek's (just round the corner from their base) shouldn't have to end with me having to actually direct them there? Even with fvcking satnav in the car? And they wonder why they don't get tips from me.

Welcome to Manchester. Make it your home. Add to its diversity..... but learn the fvcking pubs on your own patch FFS.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

Pearl

Re: Taxi drivers.....

Postby Pearl » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:58 am

My experiences with Goodwins / Olympic are usually very good, and I realise that the new drivers have to learn as they go, but I did recently have one who didn't know where Beech Road was, from Oswald Road. Chorlton Green then? Nope.

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:43 am

Manchester's mini-cab drivers are ridiculously bad. I've yet to use one who knows how to approach Piccadilly Train Station properly.

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:59 pm

It appears that many Manchester Private Hire Taxis are driven by people from outside of Manchester, typically they operate with licences from Rossendale. Up till recently it was a piece of p*ss, for anyone to get a taxi licence from Rossendale, compared to the Manchester council regime.

The only taxi outfit (as far as I am aware) that insists on Manchester licenced drivers is Uber. Having used Uber, I can confirm it's another world, compared to the norm. No cash transactions, no bullshit from taxi offices telling you the taxi is on it's way. Generally cheaper, but at busy times you can get screwed (but you know in advance).

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:23 pm

More than a faint hint of racism in the OP. Hmmm.

TossPot

Postby TossPot » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:41 pm

still_ill wrote:More than a faint hint of racism in the OP. Hmmm.

Whilst there may be more than a faint hint of cider, I can't see anything whatsoever there to suggest racism. How is criticising people for not doing their job properly racist?
'Drive-by insult merchant'

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:36 pm

It's not just the private hire drivers who don't know Chorlton. I've used black* cabs from the airport dozens of times over the years and not a single one has ever known the road where I live, I have always had to direct them. It's not Barlow Moor Road admittedly, but there must be at least 40 houses on it.

Uber's brilliant. It can help if you actually know the route you want to go though.

* apologies for anyone offended by my use of that word

annie

Postby annie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:32 pm

still_ill wrote:More than a faint hint of racism in the OP. Hmmm.

Pretty big troll fail there, especially given my last sentence.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:41 am

annie wrote:Look, I understand that many of the local minicab drivers may be... new to Chorlton. But...

annie

Postby annie » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:38 am

still_ill wrote:
annie wrote:Look, I understand that many of the local minicab drivers may be... new to Chorlton. But...

Given their lack of locational knowledge, they seem to be new to Chorlton to me.

Are you going to run with this one... really?

Be very very careful what you accuse people of.

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:31 pm

If they're not new to Chorlton, then they must be even more dimwitted than first appears.

But, if anything, Annie's call to 'add to its [Manchester's] diversity' does increase the impression that the drivers have come from further afield than Rossendale, as implicated by Blenkinsopp. Without this, one could more easily assume she was thinking of drivers who hail from somewhere closer to home, like Wythenshawe. This 'add to diversity' sentiment may also be read as a criticism of immigrants who have, in the writer's eyes, failed to integrate (and that the writer has a preferred form of integration in mind). The ellipsis in 'may be… new to Chorlton' is surely there only because Annie wishes to signal that she's writing euphemistically. Added to this, I can't help wondering what makes her so sure that the minicab drivers are recent immigrants given that, despite the impressions people may have, it's actually very difficult for a non-European Union national without a high-level skill set in short supply to immigrate to the UK. So the impression of their being foreign is most likely mistaken and Blenkinsopp's impression of their origins is more likely to be accurate.

Nevertheless, I don't agree that criticising immigrants is always racist in itself. I have an uncle who, as an artist, has spent much of his time exploring the Irish immigrant experience and while he is himself an Irish immigrant, some of his work could be read as critical of that community.

Perhaps it would have been better to simply come out and say 'I understand [from reliable source] that many of the local minicab drivers may be recent immigrants…'

annie

Postby annie » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:17 pm

stephennewton wrote:If they're not new to Chorlton, then they must be even more dimwitted than first appears.

But, if anything, Annie's call to 'add to its [Manchester's] diversity' does increase the impression that the drivers have come from further afield than Rossendale, as implicated by Blenkinsopp. Without this, one could more easily assume she was thinking of drivers who hail from somewhere closer to home, like Wythenshawe. This 'add to diversity' sentiment may also be read as a criticism of immigrants who have, in the writer's eyes, failed to integrate (and that the writer has a preferred form of integration in mind). The ellipsis in 'may be… new to Chorlton' is surely there only because Annie wishes to signal that she's writing euphemistically. Added to this, I can't help wondering what makes her so sure that the minicab drivers are recent immigrants given that, despite the impressions people may have, it's actually very difficult for a non-European Union national without a high-level skill set in short supply to immigrate to the UK. So the impression of their being foreign is most likely mistaken and Blenkinsopp's impression of their origins is more likely to be accurate.

Nevertheless, I don't agree that criticising immigrants is always racist in itself. I have an uncle who, as an artist, has spent much of his time exploring the Irish immigrant experience and while he is himself an Irish immigrant, some of his work could be read as critical of that community.

Perhaps it would have been better to simply come out and say 'I understand [from reliable source] that many of the local minicab drivers may be recent immigrants…'

Thanks for that detailed, and somewhat redundant, analysis of my original posting. I hope you enjoyed writing it.

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:21 pm

annie wrote:Thanks for that detailed, and somewhat redundant, analysis of my original posting. I hope you enjoyed writing it.

I know, always doing this when I should be doing that. I suspect that procrastination will be the death of me.

robinhood

Postby robinhood » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:35 am

Just be honest and say that the majority of Chorlton taxi drivers are illegal uneducated Muslim immigrants from Pakistan who know bugger all.

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:59 pm

Swift ban for the above comment, please (though an interesting username given the post/thread).

Return to “Discussions”