Anyone else tried Chorlton's new wine bar yet?

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
richardfrosty

Anyone else tried Chorlton's new wine bar yet?

Postby richardfrosty » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:12 pm

I went to check out Chorlton's new wine bar the other day:

Full review of The Cellar Key

Anyone else been yet? What did you think?
Check out my website: Richard Frost - Chorlton
Follow me on Twitter: Richard Frost - Twitter
Add me on LinkedIn: Richard Frost - LinkedIn

Edwinacurry

Re: Anyone else tried Chorlton's new wine bar yet?

Postby Edwinacurry » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:16 pm

No but I would like to and your review is very helpful, so thanks!

FurFoxAche

Postby FurFoxAche » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:29 pm

Went in for a glass of wine last night. Good wine but not keen on the cellar... Just a bit too enclosed. Will return for food soon.

richardfrosty

Postby richardfrosty » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:14 pm

Yeah, the food's definitely worth trying. Some of the dishes at launch are better than others (the sharing platters in particular are good value for money) but at least there's lots of variety, which bodes well for the future I always think.
Check out my website: Richard Frost - Chorlton
Follow me on Twitter: Richard Frost - Twitter
Add me on LinkedIn: Richard Frost - LinkedIn

annie

Postby annie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:33 pm

richardfrosty wrote:Yeah, the food's definitely worth trying. Some of the dishes at launch are better than others (the sharing platters in particular are good value for money) but at least there's lots of variety, which bodes well for the future I always think.

I think I might turn into stone if I entered such a place.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

sputnik

Postby sputnik » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:46 pm

Went there in the hope of finding Sunday roast, as couldn't quite bring myself to go to the Sedge Lynn, which is like sitting in a drafty airport hanger full of alcoholics.

No Yorkshire puddings, but we were instead tempted by quail (!) scallops and morcilla (black pudding) and pork cassoulet. All well done and very tasty.

Wine list is also very good there. Only thing that marks it down is the waiter didn't know what crostini were and the chap running it has a ridiculous beard.

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:02 pm

sputnik wrote:Went there in the hope of finding Sunday roast, as couldn't quite bring myself to go to the Sedge Lynn, which is like sitting in a drafty airport hanger full of alcoholics.

No Yorkshire puddings, but we were instead tempted by quail (!) scallops and morcilla (black pudding) and pork cassoulet. All well done and very tasty.

Wine list is also very good there. Only thing that marks it down is the waiter didn't know what crostini were and the chap running it has a ridiculous beard.

'Tis surprising that someone of such sophistication, would not know that Crostini are toasted breads.

I quite like the alcohol fueled bonhomie at the Sedge Lynn, what marks it down is the 'airport hanger' next door, with it's warehouse style storage of the deceased former patrons of the Sedge.

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:55 am

blenkinsop wrote:I quite like the alcohol fueled bonhomie at the Sedge Lynn, what marks it down is the 'airport hanger' next door, with it's warehouse style storage of the deceased former patrons of the Sedge.

I understand this is written with irony. The last time I entered to Sedge it was to use the toilet. I know non-customers aren't supposed to do that, but what's the worst they can do? Anyway, it could easily have been mistaken for the Co-op Funerals hub next door as while full with bodies of in various states of decay, the place was completely silent; the conversation having presumably run dry many years ago.

annie

Postby annie » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:15 pm

stephennewton wrote:
blenkinsop wrote:I quite like the alcohol fueled bonhomie at the Sedge Lynn, what marks it down is the 'airport hanger' next door, with it's warehouse style storage of the deceased former patrons of the Sedge.

I understand this is written with irony. The last time I entered to Sedge it was to use the toilet. I know non-customers aren't supposed to do that, but what's the worst they can do? Anyway, it could easily have been mistaken for the Co-op Funerals hub next door as while full with bodies of in various states of decay, the place was completely silent; the conversation having presumably run dry many years ago.

The screaming agism in that post is quite simply disgusting.

Chorlton's older drinkers DO go there, that much is true. However, I'd suggest that the "silence" you mention is probably down to the fact that it doesn't play annoying music, and your overamplified ears can't process the concept of quiet conversation.

True, your average bearded hipster wouldn't be seen dead there, but then it's not FOR them, is it? They have a dozen trendy, noisy, overpriced, pretentious dives to go to, with designer lagers and filthy toilets. In Weatherspoons, you can buy a pint of good real ale for £2.30.

Plus, you won't have to shout to speak to your mate, look at shit beards, step over puke in the loos or spend £20 on a beefburger.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:29 pm

annie wrote:The screaming agism in that post is quite simply disgusting.

Ouch! I guess this is revenge for dissecting Annie's dodgy post on immigrant taxi drivers. I could try to deny ageism by pointing out that not all of the decaying bodies in the Sedge Lynn are especially old, but are instead showing the strain of hard lives or personal neglect. But the truth is that, while I don't begrudge them having a place to go, there are plenty of rational reasons to dislike baby boomers.

annie

Postby annie » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:13 pm

stephennewton wrote:
annie wrote:The screaming agism in that post is quite simply disgusting.

Ouch! I guess this is revenge for dissecting Annie's dodgy post on immigrant taxi drivers. I could try to deny ageism by pointing out that not all of the decaying bodies in the Sedge Lynn are especially old, but are instead showing the strain of hard lives or personal neglect. But the truth is that, while I don't begrudge them having a place to go, there are plenty of rational reasons to dislike baby boomers.

I wrote something abusive here about this drivel, but decided not to bother.
Last edited by annie on Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:14 pm

As it happens, I was in the Sedge this morning, and devoured an excellent Eggs Benedict washed down by a Lavazza. There were about 30 people in, and more arriving (11am).

The profile was far from geriatric, maybe 50% were middle aged and more, the remainder were students, and generally quite young professionals, and plenty of local tradesmen.

The last time I went there was for a Sunday Lunch (4 of us), it was absolutely rammed, took us a while to get a table. There were plenty of yummy mummies in that day, but thankfully no dogs.

Weatherspoons are the busiest, and best run Pub / Restaurant in Chorlton, by a country mile. Seating / tables / flooring are a bit battered, could do with a refurb. The young staff appear genuinely enthusiastic and helpful, and they know more about quality beers than any of their competitors.

annie

Postby annie » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:20 pm

blenkinsop wrote:As it happens, I was in the Sedge this morning, and devoured an excellent Eggs Benedict washed down by a Lavazza. There were about 30 people in, and more arriving (11am).

The profile was far from geriatric, maybe 50% were middle aged and more, the remainder were students, and generally quite young professionals, and plenty of local tradesmen.

The last time I went there was for a Sunday Lunch (4 of us), it was absolutely rammed, took us a while to get a table. There were plenty of yummy mummies in that day, but thankfully no dogs.

Weatherspoons are the busiest, and best run Pub / Restaurant in Chorlton, by a country mile. Seating / tables / flooring are a bit battered, could do with a refurb. The young staff appear genuinely enthusiastic and helpful, and they know more about quality beers than any of their competitors.

Well said blenkinsop.... Wetherspoons snobbery seems to be a growing trend.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:24 pm

I remember reading somewhere about some guys from Camra going to that overpriced dog pub opposite Weatherstabs and getting a pint of the guest ale, paying about £4 for the privilege. They then went to the Sedge and got the same pint for under £2. But then again the bars of Chorlton’s in crowd get murked at gun point on a weekly basis, so they probably have to make an allowance to cover stolen revenue.

Last time I was in the Sedge there was a wake and it looked like it was about to kick off, but that’s how it goes sometimes.

ollie_the_brave

Postby ollie_the_brave » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:01 pm

annie wrote:
blenkinsop wrote:As it happens, I was in the Sedge this morning, and devoured an excellent Eggs Benedict washed down by a Lavazza. There were about 30 people in, and more arriving (11am).

Hhhhhmmm. So our multi award winning and nominated Parlour is not within 'a country mile' of Wetherspoons. Bollocks.
"They know more about beer' than the staff of Font, The Bar, The Beech, Parlour, The Marble, The Beagle (I could go on but don't want to embarrass you further). Crap.

I worked for some considerable time supplying date coding equipment into the food and pharmaceutical industries. The main suppliers to Wetherspoons were one of my customers. The 'food' is packaged into 5 or 6 colour coded microwaveable containers and the Wetherspoons microwaves are colour coded to match (ie for a green meal press the green button and the microwave will be preprogrammed to come on at the right setting for the right time). Empty this onto a plate and serve.

Bet those eggs were superb.

Its that cheap for a reason; no spam - sorry, no spam - sorry staff, no fresh produce, single supply chain and mass produced. Churned out to plenty of folk who aren't bothered by the quality of what they eat or who aren't able to afford better quality food.

The beer is however generally OK. However you are rarely going to see any very local cutting edge brewers at their (or any) nationwide chain of that size, which is where some of our excellent beer driven pubs differ.

Good to hear that there is a pub in Chorlton which isn't infested with dogs though.

Return to “Discussions”