Anyone else tried Chorlton's new wine bar yet?

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
munchkin
Posts: 393
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:46 pm
Location: Chorlton

Re: Anyone else tried Chorlton's new wine bar yet?

Postby munchkin » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:37 pm

£30K a week is a massive turnover

approximating to very roughly 8000 pints per week it would take a very busy bar to be pulling in that much and I really don't think most of those are in that category (incl. the segde lynn)

for a moderately busy small bar £250K pa turnover would be good .

and apropos of a previous comment, one of the worst meals i have ever had in a pub/bar was in the Parlour. billed as vegetarian toad in the hole it comprised a single 'normal' sized frozen warmed up yorkshire pudding with a single (yes, single again) poor quality (linda macartney) veggie sausage just stuck in to it with some peas round the rest of the plate. it was so bad i vowed to never go back in there.

stephennewton
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:24 pm
Location: Anchorside Close, M21 8AR
Contact:

Re: Anyone else tried Chorlton's new wine bar yet?

Postby stephennewton » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:44 pm

Blenk's argument seems to rest on Wetherspoons turning over more than anyone, bar McDonalds and KFC. But if quantity equals quality as suggested, it is genuinely hard to see why he isn't arguing that McDonalds and KFC are Chorlton's best restaurants. Similarly, he argues that because Wetherspoons shift a lot of food, they must use skilled k*tchen staff. This is equally silly: they do volume because they have a factory style de-skilled k*tchen.

Annie's fear of snobbery is justified, as when you attack someone's diet you attack their lifestyle and by extension their culture. But bear in mind that life expectancy is far lower for working class people than for middle class people and that they are more likely to spend the last decades of their lives living with chronic health conditions that mean they are unable to fully enjoy retirement. That's because they smoke more, drink more, move less and eat rubbish. Not so long ago we had news footage of obese parents passing crisps to their obese kids through a school fence because the headteacher had banned junk food. They were defending their culture in the face of snobbery, but it would be better if they rose more positively to the challenges facing them and changed that culture. Annie's writing off criticism as snobbery is easy and helps her feel she's on the side of the oppressed, but in reality she's helping ensure their health remains poor.

munchkin
Posts: 393
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:46 pm
Location: Chorlton

Re: Anyone else tried Chorlton's new wine bar yet?

Postby munchkin » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:48 pm

stephennewton wrote:Blenk's argument seems to rest on Wetherspoons turning over more than anyone, bar McDonalds and KFC. But if quantity equals quality as suggested, it is genuinely hard to see why he isn't arguing that McDonalds and KFC are Chorlton's best restaurants. Similarly, he argues that because Wetherspoons shift a lot of food, they must use skilled k*tchen staff. This is equally silly: they do volume because they have a factory style de-skilled k*tchen.

Annie's fear of snobbery is justified, as when you attack someone's diet you attack their lifestyle and by extension their culture. But bear in mind that life expectancy is far lower for working class people than for middle class people and that they are more likely to spend the last decades of their lives living with chronic health conditions that mean they are unable to fully enjoy retirement. That's because they smoke more, drink more, move less and eat rubbish. Not so long ago we had news footage of obese parents passing crisps to their obese kids through a school fence because the headteacher had banned junk food. They were defending their culture in the face of snobbery, but it would be better if they rose more positively to the challenges facing them and changed that culture. Annie's writing off criticism as snobbery is easy and helps her feel she's on the side of the oppressed, but in reality she's helping ensure their health remains poor.


So where does your disgust at someone drinking Lavazza sit in your argument about snobbery ?

stephennewton
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:24 pm
Location: Anchorside Close, M21 8AR
Contact:

Re: Anyone else tried Chorlton's new wine bar yet?

Postby stephennewton » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:51 pm

Wetherspoons have 886 pubs and turnover £1,280.9m so the average pub turns over £27,802 a week. The Sedge is one of their smaller pubs.

stephennewton
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:24 pm
Location: Anchorside Close, M21 8AR
Contact:

Re: Anyone else tried Chorlton's new wine bar yet?

Postby stephennewton » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:55 pm

munchkin wrote:So where does your disgust at someone drinking Lavazza sit in your argument about snobbery ?

That's purely aimed at the pretension expressed in Blenk's previous post, where he boasts of drinking Lavazza as if it were something special.

User avatar
annie
Posts: 4816
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:08 am
Location: Chorlton

Re: Anyone else tried Chorlton's new wine bar yet?

Postby annie » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:22 pm

stephennewton wrote: But bear in mind that life expectancy is far lower for working class people than for middle class people and that they are more likely to spend the last decades of their lives living with chronic health conditions that mean they are unable to fully enjoy retirement. That's because they smoke more, drink more, move less and eat rubbish. Not so long ago we had news footage of obese parents passing crisps to their obese kids through a school fence because the headteacher had banned junk food. They were defending their culture in the face of snobbery, but it would be better if they rose more positively to the challenges facing them and changed that culture. Annie's writing off criticism as snobbery is easy and helps her feel she's on the side of the oppressed, but in reality she's helping ensure their health remains poor.


"That's because they smoke more, drink more, move less and eat rubbish"

Incredible, jaw-dropping snobbery of the worst kind. Trying now to figure out if you've just been a troll all along...
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

blenkinsop
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:20 pm

Re: Anyone else tried Chorlton's new wine bar yet?

Postby blenkinsop » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:33 pm

I seem to have hit a nerve here.

Stephen consistently misrepresents / misunderstands the issues under discussion, drawing inane conclusions, which invariably reflect his fears and prejudices.

The Sedge is not one of Wetherspoons smaller pubs, if turnover is the criteria.

From the healthy food perspective, Stephen should examine a Wetherspoon menu, next time he sneaks in for a p*ss. He will find that 'healthy food' options are aplenty, complete with calorific values. Even 'healthy' breakfasts are available, not that I've tried one.

The pubs listed by Ollie, do not have a turnover of £200k per week combined.

How can one possibly be pretentious, drinking coffee for breakfast in Wetherspoons?

lister
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:56 pm

Re: Anyone else tried Chorlton's new wine bar yet?

Postby lister » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:18 pm

Well it was a bit (lot) of guesswork, but I'd still say they collectively take more than the Lynn.

stephennewton
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:24 pm
Location: Anchorside Close, M21 8AR
Contact:

Re: Anyone else tried Chorlton's new wine bar yet?

Postby stephennewton » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:19 pm

annie wrote:Incredible, jaw-dropping snobbery of the worst kind. Trying now to figure out if you've just been a troll all along...

Sorry Annie, but sadly people living in England's poorest neighbourhoods live seven fewer years than those in the richest. How do you explain that, if it is not a product of lifestyle (as all the world's health professionals believe)?

For example, the Office for National Statistics found that in 2013, 29% of adults in routine and manual occupations smoked compared to 14% in managerial and professional occupations. That is is to say, working class people are twice as likely to smoke as middle class people. Given that half of smokers die of a smoking related disease, it's easy to see that this is a significant contributor to health inequality.

I understand that you feel it is wrong to criticise other sub-cultures and their associated lifestyles. However, when those lifestyles so clearly blight lives they do need to be tackled. Smoking, drinking, diet and exercise are all culturally determined and cannot be addressed without a commitment to changing the culture that enables and encourages them.

ollie_the_brave
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:00 pm
Location: Chorlton

Re: Anyone else tried Chorlton's new wine bar yet?

Postby ollie_the_brave » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:52 pm

blenkinsop wrote:Make your mind up Ollie, in your original post you stated that the main suppliers to Wetherspoons were one of your customers, implying that was your source of info on Wetherspoons operating methods. Now you are saying it's your 'own first hand experience'. Fantasy Island I suggest, you're making it up as you go along.


Oh dear. My first hand experience as in that I had the main ready meal suppliers to Wetherspoons as one of my customers as is perfectly clear. Hardly worthy of Fantasy Island, trust me, however it did pay the mortgage and the bills.

blenkinsop wrote:With reference to your query on turnover at the Sedge Lynn, compared to your named venues - if they take more than £50k per week between them, then I am wrong. Cottage industry type venues, some of which are open only part time, bear no comparison to a volume operation, opening from 8am till late, daily. Do the sums.


Do the sums with what exactly? you are hardly forthcoming with any proper and concrete figures to base your statements on....

still_ill
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:01 am

Re: Anyone else tried Chorlton's new wine bar yet?

Postby still_ill » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:27 am

I remember having a conversation with somebody who had worked in some of the better bars locally, and they mentioned in passing that it wasn't unusual for them to turn over £30k+ per week. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that, given their footfall, even despite lower prices, the Sedge Lynn may take double that.

blenkinsop
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:20 pm

Re: Anyone else tried Chorlton's new wine bar yet?

Postby blenkinsop » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:06 pm

stephennewton wrote:Wetherspoons have 886 pubs and turnover £1,280.9m so the average pub turns over £27,802 a week. The Sedge is one of their smaller pubs.


Wrong again. In July 2014 Wetherspoons had 927 pubs, and annual turnover of £1.41bn.

munchkin
Posts: 393
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:46 pm
Location: Chorlton

Re: Anyone else tried Chorlton's new wine bar yet?

Postby munchkin » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:16 pm

blenkinsop wrote:
stephennewton wrote:Wetherspoons have 886 pubs and turnover £1,280.9m so the average pub turns over £27,802 a week. The Sedge is one of their smaller pubs.


Wrong again. In July 2014 Wetherspoons had 927 pubs, and annual turnover of £1.41bn.


So that brings the average to a little under £30K - I would be amazed if the Sedge was above average as it is a relatively small bar. I know the pubs in Chorlton get busy at the weekend but just think about the competition that there is now, the sheer number of boozers.

still_ill wrote:I remember having a conversation with somebody who had worked in some of the better bars locally, and they mentioned in passing that it wasn't unusual for them to turn over £30k+ per week. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that, given their footfall, even despite lower prices, the Sedge Lynn may take double that.


I just don't get that. 10K a week would be good, 20K phenomenal. Have a look at this :
http://uk.businessesforsale.com/uk/Prime-Site-Busy-City-Centre-Bar-In-Manchester-For-Sale.aspx
550 person capacity and the top end estimate for turnover is £500K

There is no way in my mind that any pub/bar/restaurant in Chorlton could do 3 times that. There is a small bar for sale in Chorlton at the moment which is quoting £250K pa turnover
I realise that this is all a bit academic and rather pointless, but that's what these forums are for...

blenkinsop
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:20 pm

Re: Anyone else tried Chorlton's new wine bar yet?

Postby blenkinsop » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:35 pm

Munchkin

The pub in Chorlton to which you refer, will be losing it's arse, as will the one advertised for sale in Manchester.

See below, an interesting article about Wetherspoon recent performance, and how much tax they pay etc.

http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/nat ... cord-sales

still_ill
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:01 am

Re: Anyone else tried Chorlton's new wine bar yet?

Postby still_ill » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:45 pm

I could easily envisage a place like Font Bar or somewhere else which sells quality alcohol, serves food and is hugely popular on the weekends turning over tens of thousands of pounds per week. £30k a week would work out at just over £4k a day. It's not a huge amount of money when you consider that drinks on average might be £4 and they might serve 100 meals a day. I wouldn't be surprised if Font, The Bar, Elektrik, Parlour, etc, serve three or four times that amount of covers a day over the weekend.


Return to “Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests