Chorlton's high street gets stranger by the day

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
richardfrosty

Chorlton's high street gets stranger by the day

Postby richardfrosty » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:28 pm

Genuine question here, how did Chorlton get so bohemian & middle class so quickly?

Never quite been able to understand how we went from an area full of pound stores and charity shops to an area synonymous with fine dining and boutique shopping over the course of a few short years.

Speaking of which, Time Out's asked me to blog about 3 of the more upmarket additions to Chorlton's high street in recent times. Here's what I came up with (although I could've mentioned a whole lot more):

You know you live in Chorlton when...
Check out my website: Richard Frost - Chorlton
Follow me on Twitter: Richard Frost - Twitter
Add me on LinkedIn: Richard Frost - LinkedIn

annie

Re: Chorlton's high street gets stranger by the day

Postby annie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:32 pm

richardfrosty wrote:Genuine question here, how did Chorlton get so bohemian & middle class so quickly?

Never quite been able to understand how we went from an area full of pound stores and charity shops to an area synonymous with fine dining and boutique shopping over the course of a few short years.

Speaking of which, Time Out's asked me to blog about 3 of the more upmarket additions to Chorlton's high street in recent times. Here's what I came up with (although I could've mentioned a whole lot more):

You know you live in Chorlton when...

http://www.mediacityuk.co.uk/

Also, you know you're in Chorlton when you post your "please follow me" social media links in your sig ;)
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:52 pm

Did it really happen so quickly? I thought it was more of a gradual progression over the last 15 years or so. Starting with the bar places like the Bar and Bluenotes. I'm not really a great shopper... which/where are the boutique shops?

richardfrosty

Postby richardfrosty » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:53 pm

Haha, I guess all them media types have to accept a share of the blame.

In my defence, I don't work at MediaCityUK. Yet.

*Hangs head in shame*

richardfrosty

Postby richardfrosty » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:59 pm

ash pole wrote:Did it really happen so quickly? I thought it was more of a gradual progression over the last 15 years or so. Starting with the bar places like the Bar and Bluenotes. I'm not really a great shopper... which/where are the boutique shops?

15 years is still pretty quick in planning terms. Chorlton used to be seen as Didsbury's scruffy neighbour - now it's all change. For starters, Beech Road's full of trendy boutiques now. Expensive stuff too...

annie

Postby annie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:24 pm

When I moved here in 1999, it wasn't this bad. Beech Road, whilst trendy, still had proper shops selling meat, and fruit and veg. It had a laundrette, TWO chip shops, and a post office. They even let you sit on the Green in high summer with your friends and have a drinkie.

Hipster-trendy disease took over, and all the service-type shops closed down (bizarrely leaving Richardsons untouched!), but infected with cafe bars, veggie dives and brasseries selling overpriced food to the rich.

Then Chorlton Green got taken over by dickheads, who like to go to bed at 10pm on a Saturday, because Torquil need his brain food sleep, so the H&J is now constantly in danger of losing its licence due to the NIMBY complaints.

I used to go there once a fortnight. Now I go every three months. Makes my skin crawl.

As for the rest of Chorlton, well as you well know it's become a leisure destination, hence the vast number of bars and takeaways.

I used to like Chorlton more than I do... it was grungy and had a sense of trying to be bigger than its boots.

Now, sadly, it is.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:24 am

Chorlton used to be described as an "up and coming" neighbourhood. Now I think it's probably "there".

scottie

Postby scottie » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:26 am

I moved here in 1999 too. Was there really a butchers on Beech road at that time? I don't remember it, although there was a fruit and veg shop and a post office - a shame they both shut down.
I do think this notion of Chorlton as a bohemian enclave to be massively exaggerated. Go to the centre and you'll see Chorlton is pretty much the same as it ever was, dead scruffy with loads of pound shops, charity shops and tonnes of litter. It's still very old school around the precinct and in nearby pubs.
A few over priced gift shops on Beech rd do not really make Chorlton to be the place you talk about. People who look like hipsters are in fact just younger people in their twenties following fashion - all the blokes have beards - it's just a trend.
For the most part changes in the time I've lived here have been a good thing, loads of very good bars and some decent food shops and delis. I like the fact that I can go to Ludo at 9pm on Saturday night and buy French bread. It's only a quid!
There isn't a really a good restaurant here so what is meant by a place synonymous with 'fine dining' I'd love to know. There's just a few gift shops and a few more middle class from the BBC here now, that's it.
Try living in Wythenshawe or Moston then you'd have something real to complain about.

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:08 am

scottie wrote:I moved here in 1999 too. Was there really a butchers on Beech road at that time? I don't remember it, although there was a fruit and veg shop and a post office - a shame they both shut down.
I do think this notion of Chorlton as a bohemian enclave to be massively exaggerated. Go to the centre and you'll see Chorlton is pretty much the same as it ever was, dead scruffy with loads of pound shops, charity shops and tonnes of litter. It's still very old school around the precinct and in nearby pubs.
A few over priced gift shops on Beech rd do not really make Chorlton to be the place you talk about. People who look like hipsters are in fact just younger people in their twenties following fashion - all the blokes have beards - it's just a trend.
For the most part changes in the time I've lived here have been a good thing, loads of very good bars and some decent food shops and delis. I like the fact that I can go to Ludo at 9pm on Saturday night and buy French bread. It's only a quid!
There isn't a really a good restaurant here so what is meant by a place synonymous with 'fine dining' I'd love to know. There's just a few gift shops and a few more middle class from the BBC here now, that's it.
Try living in Wythenshawe or Moston then you'd have something real to complain about.

About the same time for me too and I completely agree with this. Beech road has become rather more 'destination' now but that's OK as there are plenty more 'normal' shops within easy walking distance. For me , I appreciate that there are more places to go and eat/drink than there used to be and I also like that they are for the most part independents as this (for me at least) adds variety to the offering and to the appearance of the place.

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:42 am

I thought year zero was 1995, when the Lead Station opened.

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:53 pm

Year zero arguably should be 1964, when the Barbakan first opened.

gitface

Postby gitface » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:45 pm

Makes me laugh when "incomers" start complaining about newer incomers. I got here in 1996 and remember thinking when Polar Bar opened "a trendy bar in Chorlton - that'll never catch on...".

I'm often wrong. :lol:

annie

Postby annie » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:50 pm

gitface wrote:Makes me laugh when "incomers" start complaining about newer incomers. I got here in 1996 and remember thinking when Polar Bar opened "a trendy bar in Chorlton - that'll never catch on...".

I'm often wrong. :lol:

Yeah, but I suppose it comes from the fact that when I moved here, it was kinda perfect for me. Not too up itself, not too dangerous... and then it started to change into what we have today.

I wanted it to stay like it was in 1999!

(Just as those who moved here in 1995 probably thought the same :)

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:00 pm

there's not actually that many things from when I first moved here that I actually miss. Just off the top of my head I think it would be good if the pottery place was still going (esp. as it was replaced by 2 crap pizza takeaways!), and I did like Bluenote and Primavera and the original health food shop but apart from the inevitable onslaught of the national chains I think most of the changes are for the better. (actually I used to use the homebrew shop too)

Louise

Postby Louise » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:02 pm

I first moved to Chorlton in 1978.. I don't remember much. I used to like the combination of the chip shop opposite the library and next to the laundrette which meant I could put my washing on, change my library books and eat my chips while I waited.

Return to “Discussions”