Chorlton's high street gets stranger by the day

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Bruce R

Re: Chorlton's high street gets stranger by the day

Postby Bruce R » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:30 pm

I agree with Annie. I don't think anyone could claim that there is a rational balance of premises meeting the needs of local inhabitants, just a disproportionate number of bars, restaurants, estate agents and trendy shops that go bust every 18 months. (I almost forgot the disproportionate number of mens' hairdressers and now it appears poodle partlours.) When I came here 20 years ago Beech Road had not merely the shops Annie mentioned but a secondhand bookshop, a hardware shop, a flower shop and the launderette. Further afield was a record shop, sportswear shop, shoe shop, several men's outfitters and a shop selling home security.

Of course, it's possible to argue that many of these things have gone elsewhere too, that the attrition has come through the next generation not wanting to go into the family business or that there are better alternatives elsewhere. But the basic causes are I think the massive upward pressure on commercial rents when an area becomes fashionable and a short-sighted and permissive planning policy - though I'm not sure how much legal leeway the council has.

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:34 pm

It definitely hasn't happened that quickly. Chorlton's been known, rightly or wrongly, as quite a bohemian place for decades, mainly because it's always been a relatively liberal area with a large student population. I've lived nearby all my life and always remember it being known for its shops, vegans and overly vocal 'free-thinkers'. The main difference over the last ten years has been the rapid increase in bars. Let's not pretend Chorlton's an improvement on Didsbury, though, that's just being silly. Course, you'd be a numpty to live in either if you could afford to buy anything worth shouting about.

scottie

Postby scottie » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:00 am

I can barely recognise Chorlton high street any more, so full of middle class 'fine dining' establishments and posh trendy boutiques, it's so 'up itself' :D

ollie_the_brave

Postby ollie_the_brave » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:18 pm

still_ill wrote:Let's not pretend Chorlton's an improvement on Didsbury, though, that's just being silly. Course, you'd be a numpty to live in either if you could afford to buy anything worth shouting about.

Just curious, why would you be a numpty to live in Chorlton or Didsbury if you could afford a decent house?

Wintergreen

Postby Wintergreen » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:11 pm

The Beagle attempted to be a place for fine dining (more or less) and gave it up pretty sharpish. If Chorlton's known for anything it's the sheer number of pubs with good beer.

Phila

Postby Phila » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:04 am

Been to the Beagle twice. First time they said we had to wait for a table, sat outside and gave up. Second time it was closed.

richardfrosty

Postby richardfrosty » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:31 am

I'm not saying Chorlton going upmarket is a bad thing, but you'd be hard-pushed to say it hasn't gone more upmarket over the last few decades. For starters, just look at the house prices in M21 relative to the rest of the North West.

Can't imagine dog-grooming salons would have lasted long in the 70s and 80s either.

And I stand by the 'fine dining' thing. I'm not saying we're on the verge of winning a Michelin Star (we're not), but I know people from all over Manchester who now come to Chorlton for a nice meal. Off the top of my head, I can think of 2 Spanish tapas restaurants, a Portuguese tapas restaurant, a Latin American tapas restaurant, a Thai restaurant & a few Middle Eastern mezze restaurants as well as this wine bar that are all pretty good quality and hardly typical of a downmarket or uninspiring foodie scene. Chorlton definitely has a better reputation for food (and drink) across Manchester nowadays.

Oh, and I agree the precinct isn't the best, but from what I understand that's because it's been the victim of a planning merry-go-round that never quite seems to get sorted. If and when it does, I'm sure it'll bring the area up still further.
Check out my website: Richard Frost - Chorlton
Follow me on Twitter: Richard Frost - Twitter
Add me on LinkedIn: Richard Frost - LinkedIn

scottie

Postby scottie » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:08 pm

It's a misunderstanding of the term fine-dining' on your part.
Fine dining generally means somewhere like The French at the Midland hotel and which doesn't exist in M21 as opposed to 'casual dining - most of which are uninspiring in Chorlton.

FurFoxAche

Postby FurFoxAche » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:53 pm

Chorlton has a lack of good restaurants, given the make up of the population.

Return to “Discussions”