Building query...

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
still_ill

Building query...

Postby still_ill » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:39 pm

Dull thread, but i've often wondered when passing if the flats, next to the garage, opposite the retirement home, formerly the cartoon studios at the Unicorn end of Albany Road has ever been anything else? Just going off the building itself it looks like it could have possibly been a pub at some point, and the big car park to the rear perhaps supports this.

Can anyone shed any light, or do you know where i can find details about the historical use(s) of this and other properties?

Pearl

Re: Building query...

Postby Pearl » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:50 pm

Are we talking about the two Edwardian looking houses with double bays? One used to sell plumbing supplies? Not quite sure which building you mean, Still?

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:29 pm

Turning left onto Brantingham Road after Sher Akbar, then left again after the weird caravan site which i assume was a petrol station at some point, the huge building there, now flats, probably houses at some point.

Come to think of it, some history of that corner unit which hosts the caravans would be welcome. A weirdly barren plot of land considering.

Stevieboy

Postby Stevieboy » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:13 am

I remember it used to sell electricals.
Andrew Simpson wrote a piece on it here http://chorltonhistory.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... h-and.html

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:41 pm

Another one.

Noticed today when walking past a grey building on the end of the row of shops that includes Jasmine Cafe and Chorlton Eatery which is now a dentist. Looks very much like it may have at one point been a pub. Any ideas?

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:30 pm

I'm not sure that we have that many ex-pubs in Chorlton do we? Unlike ex-cinemas. Didn't it used to be quite difficult to get a licence here, so that there were just a few very large and busy ones, until lots of bars started opening relatively recently?

Might have misremembered that though - probably better to check out Andrew Simpson's blog, as he seems to be your man for all Chorlton history-related questions.

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:03 pm

That one's not been a pub as long as I've been here (early 90's). The only one I can think of for sure is the Feathers/Tesco.

I've got one though. About half way down Egerton Road North there's an old white frame that looks like it once held a sign. Was this a pub sign? The houses it's by look new so if it was the building's gone.

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:17 pm

I think that was a garage. Other pubs that have closed in recent times, the Seymour Hotel (now a large block of flats), the Throstles Nest on Seymour Grove (being redeveloped now), Alexandra Hotel Moss Side (block of flats). The 1st floor Portuguese restaurant that used to be Meza Luna, was a rough old nightclub called the Lamplight, in the dim and distant past.

Return to “Discussions”