Canal tow paths

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
lister

Canal tow paths

Postby lister » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:18 am

Does anyone know the current state of the canal towpaths? They were resurfaced a few years ago from Timperley to Stretford, but not into town, have they progressed any further?

munchkin

Re: Canal tow paths

Postby munchkin » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:47 am

There was some work going on last year to continue the resurfacing from Stretford Marina but I am not sure if it was the canal in to town or the other one that goes to Worsley - it's near where I work so will try to remember to take a look. Even unsurfaced it is quite easily navigable by mountain bike or similar...

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:20 pm

Two weeks ago the Bridgewater path was closed for resurfacing work from around Trafford into Castlefield. Don't know if they're laid the final surface though. It was looking very promising.

alr1970

Postby alr1970 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:07 pm

The Bridgewater towpath is now tarmac all the way to the Barton swing bridge in that direction, and to Old Trafford football ground in that direction. Work is ongoing at OT so you might not get through that way at the moment. The stretch past the hotel construction site at the foorball ground has been closed for 2 years but should reopen soon as the building's finished now.

The rest of the way into town is dur to be done next, but we warned that there are sections paved with setts ("cobbles") along there that can't be smoothed over, because a bumpy surface is traditional and they are therefore listed in some way! These are probably the bits where the adjacent mud strips have been worn into huge ruts and puddles by people on bikes eschewing tradition infavour of a comfortable ride.

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:34 pm

I hope they make a good job of this. The Bridgewater towpath has potential to be a cracking cycle route all the way from Altrincham to the city centre.

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:57 pm

ash pole wrote:I hope they make a good job of this. The Bridgewater towpath has potential to be a cracking cycle route all the way from Altrincham to the city centre.

Agreed. I was really hacked off when it turned out that the Metrolink extension wasn't going to have a cycle path so this would be great. In the Summer I often go to work through the waterpark then on to the Canal to Trafford Park and it is a lovely route.

alr1970

Postby alr1970 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:42 am

ash pole wrote:I hope they make a good job of this. The Bridgewater towpath has potential to be a cracking cycle route all the way from Altrincham to the city centre.

In the daytime, it's ok. At night it's unlit and very narrow in places. Remember that a woman on a bike drowned at Old Trafford a few years ago: it's presumed that she fell off for some reason and went into the water, perhaps banged her head. I ride Chorlton to Trafford Park every day and rarely use it. There are quiet side street routes that bypass it and are more direct anyway. It's not as smooth as the roads, which is ok for a mile or so, but gets quite jarring after a few miles, especially if you're trying to get anywhere in a useful time.

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:08 pm

alr1970 wrote:

In the daytime, it's ok. At night it's unlit and very narrow in places. Remember that a woman on a bike drowned at Old Trafford a few years ago: it's presumed that she fell off for some reason and went into the water, perhaps banged her head. I ride Chorlton to Trafford Park every day and rarely use it. There are quiet side street routes that bypass it and are more direct anyway. It's not as smooth as the roads, which is ok for a mile or so, but gets quite jarring after a few miles, especially if you're trying to get anywhere in a useful time.

You are right about it being easier in daylight but I must say that I find it a lot smoother than the roads and it is also a lot more direct and quicker for my trip from Chorlton to TP - but I do come off it at TP train station so maybe it's more convenient for me.

lister

Postby lister » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:44 pm

Had a look today, it's surfaced as far as Europa way, closed beyond that with mini diggers at work. The section from the bridge beyond Stretford marina is pants for bikes, it's loose gravel which doesn't give much confidence, especially when you have to pass people!

The surface towards trafford park is decent though, all the way to Barton swing bridge, there's even bike access through to the trafford centre! So if you live near hawthorn lane you can get to the tc traffic free!

Return to “Discussions”