Homeless Chorlton

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
annie

Homeless Chorlton

Postby annie » Sun May 31, 2015 9:02 pm

Been seeing a larger amount of homeless begging in Chorlton centre. Very depressing.

Welcome to the 21st century.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

Pearl

Re: Homeless Chorlton

Postby Pearl » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:59 am

Yes, it's very upsetting isn't it? The Evening News is reporting on the citywide increase today:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... er-9363644

The Mad Dogs homelessness project is worth supporting imo - contact via Elliott's greengrocers in the precinct - and the Booth Centre mentioned by the MEN does good work too. Personally I've started giving money direct to beggars again too, after years of thinking it was best to just support the charities - it all feels too urgent and immediate now, given the way government policy is going.

ollie_the_brave

Postby ollie_the_brave » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:45 pm

Yup.

I was out in town for a few pints with a couple of old mates on Saturday afternoon/early evening. I was pretty gobsmacked by the amount of homeless people, which seemed a huge increase and with immediate needs.

What I did notice was lots of people were giving them money and making brief conversation as they did so.

I also, as Annie says, have noticed a marked increase in Chorlton.

Our local (excellent) teams at Barakah Food Aid and Mad Dogs Homeless will be busy no doubt in the months to come.

shirederby

Postby shirederby » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:20 am

do not mix up the two

Just One In Ten Beggars Are Actually Homeless
Out of 52 people panhandling for cash in one UK city, just five were sleeping rough

This will come as a shock to people who hand money to beggars - but there seems to be a high chance that your cash is going to people who have homes.

A survey by a Nottingham homelessness charity found that just one in ten beggars on the city’s streets were actually homeless.

The rest were either living with family or friends, or actually have their own homes.

The survey by the charity framework found that out of 52 people asking for cash, just five were sleeping rough.

oswaldgold

Postby oswaldgold » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:30 pm

The lad with the goatee who sits reading all day was playing with his iPad and iPhone outside B&M yesterday afternoon. :lol:

blenkinsop

The Re: Homeless Chorlton

Postby blenkinsop » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:23 pm

There's been a guy hanging around Morrisons on and off for a few years, his iPhone started ringing while he was hassling my youngest, when she was waiting outside. He looked at his phone, then got up off the ground, and marched off to converse in private.... :D

Lord Chandos

Postby Lord Chandos » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:47 am

shirederby wrote:do not mix up the two

This will come as a shock to people who hand money to beggars - but there seems to be a high chance that your cash is going to people who have homes.

I used to do that until a few years ago,
There used to be one that sat in the doorway of Quarmby's after it had close down. One evening whilst waiting for an order in Turkish Delight he was in waiting for a kebab and exchanged loose change for £45 in notes before going across the road.
After he had gone I remarked to the couple stood next to me that he must have had a good day, they replied they knew him as he lived in a flat in Didsbury, next to a friend of theirs, and remarked they couldn't afford to live there.
When I came out and walked across the road he had been and bought a bottle of wine and was stood waiting for a bus, kebab in one hand wine in the other, certainly in the direction of Didsbury.
Made a mental note to myself only to donate to charities from that point.

yoss

Postby yoss » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:53 pm

I work in town. All through the winter I'd pass bodies huddled in sleeping blankets in shop doorways, far more than I've ever seen before. I give those people money when my conscience pricks me. I wouldn't spend a winters night on the street for £100.

On the other hand, a year or so ago as I walked into the co-op on Wilbraham I overheard a guy ending a conversation on his mobile; something along the lines of 'yeah I'll be up the pub in a bit, just let me make some cash here'. As I left he was sat by the doorway with a forlorn expression, hat on the floor. I didn't give him anything.

CharlieB

Postby CharlieB » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:49 pm

The 'most of them aren't actually homeless you know' argument seems to me to be a very convenient device to allow you to keep your hands in your pockets, guilt free.

If someone was bang to rights like a couple of the examples above, I'd give them nothing, but I'd rather get it wrong a few times than walk past someone in need. It's only a few bob, a couple of kind words and making people feel that they're not invisible.
Last edited by CharlieB on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:27 am

CharlieB wrote:The 'most of them aren't actually homeless you know' argument seems to me to be a very convenient device to allow you to keep your hands in your pockets, guilt free.

I keep my hands in my pockets and I don't feel guilty about it. I do plenty of work for charity, it's my business where I give my time and money.

CharlieB

Postby CharlieB » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:39 am

ash pole wrote:
CharlieB wrote:The 'most of them aren't actually homeless you know' argument seems to me to be a very convenient device to allow you to keep your hands in your pockets, guilt free.

I keep my hands in my pockets and I don't feel guilty about it. I do plenty of work for charity, it's my business where I give my time and money.

Good lad.

annie

Postby annie » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:53 am

Chuggers piss me off. Not just the annoyance of them, but the very concept...

Some really don't give a shit about the charity they collect for - they're doing a job. They get paid to bug you on the street, and are employed by an agency, who also get paid and give a small proportion to the chuggers. It's a colossal waste of charity money. I have more time for genuine volunteer bucket-shakers.

Me? I lay aside several days each year where I work for free, lending my skills to my chosen charities so they don't have to pay someone. (Often the people I replace get really pissed at this... tough shit... don't go ripping off charities)
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

Lord Chandos

Postby Lord Chandos » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:07 am

If someone was bang to rights like a couple of the examples above, I'd give them nothing, but I'd rather get it wrong a few times than walk past someone in need. It's only a few bob, a couple of kind words and making people feel that they're not invisible.

It's not a "convenient device" as far as I'm concerned it's quite well touted that charities don't advise giving money to them.
Change4Good is well worthy of support rather than giving out money to those you get it wrong to.
If you look at some of their figures 95% of them are not homeless.
When Police did a survey of drug testing of those begging for money 70% tested positive for class A drugs, in Camden it was 80%

If say you donated £100 a year to those begging in the street do you want only £5 to get to those who are homeless and waste the other £95 to those that are not. Or do you want £80 of your money to end up in the drug dealers pocket because you are funding their habit.

If you want to help some of the charities you can see some here
http://www.streetsmart.org.uk/charities.php?iAreaID=17

CharlieB

Postby CharlieB » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:13 pm

I'm happier using my own judgement than someone elses statistics.

Of course charities advise that you don't give direct because that would be like turkeys voting for Christmas.

I'm not really that bothered what they spend it on either. Once I've given them a bit of money, it's theirs not mine and I've relinquished the right to dictate what they blow it on.

Lord Chandos

Postby Lord Chandos » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:50 pm

CharlieB wrote:I'm happier using my own judgement than someone elses statistics.

Of course charities advise that you don't give direct because that would be like turkeys voting for Christmas.

I'm not really that bothered what they spend it on either. Once I've given them a bit of money, it's theirs not mine and I've relinquished the right to dictate what they blow it on.

It's not just one persons statistics though, there's been lots of research done by various agencies and the same statistics show up in other countries too.
Drugs overdose is a major killer of them too, so next time you hear about a homeless person who's died due to overdose you can take solace in the fact you helped them on their way and paid towards the dealers next Rolex :roll:

Return to “Discussions”