Gorton is the new Chorlton.

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Eddy1

Gorton is the new Chorlton.

Postby Eddy1 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:01 pm

Overheard this in the city centre and thought I'd throw it out there for debate . . . I've not seen many organic greengrocers

ash pole

Re: Gorton is the new Chorlton.

Postby ash pole » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:41 pm

Must confess I've never been to Gorton.

Lord Chandos

Postby Lord Chandos » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:54 am

ash pole wrote:Must confess I've never been to Gorton.

You'll have seen it on the telly though .....it's where they used to film Shameless

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:47 pm

OTOH it's the home of Debdale Park, which is lovely:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction ... gland.html

and of course the monastery:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorton_Monastery

Not to mention that Gorton girls know all the words to songs by Chaka Khan . . . .

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:38 pm

Gorton has been a 'deprived' area since written records have been available. The home of the Moors murderers Brady and Hindley in the early 60s, when Gorton was their hunting ground. Despite much demolition and redevelopment, Gorton still has a drab and oppressive atmosphere, with many uninsured drivers and stolen cars on the roads. Not the sort of place the more genteel of Chorlton folk should visit.

On a positive note, Belle Vue was once the entertainment hub of the North West with a Zoo, Boxing venue and large amusement park, complete with (allegedly) the UK's biggest wooden roller coaster - known as The Bobs.

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:54 pm

It does have something we don't have here , and that is a thriving market.

Even with a massive Tescos next to it , the market always seems to be busy - it's sort of the equivalent of the precinct but with a much wider range of shops.

I also think the snobby people would prefer it as it hides all the 'tatty' shops !

Eddy1

Postby Eddy1 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:11 pm

Thanks for the tips Pearl! I did a bit of research on the web and I'm going to take a snoop round the area at the weekend. Gorton seems to be connected to chorlton by the fallowfield loop cycle path so I should be able to get to m18 without too much bother. I'd like to visit: the monastery, Sunny Brow Park, Debdale Park, and hopefully the new Purergym off Hyde road. Also, thanks for the warning blenkinsop - I'll be sure to pack my game face For,the trip :D

Return to “Discussions”