Trams into the city centre

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Sarah_B

Trams into the city centre

Postby Sarah_B » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:35 pm

I am thinking of getting the tram into the city centre occasionally. In order to get a seat what time would I need to be on the tram by please? Before 8.15am? Also ignoring any waiting time how long does the journey take? 20 mins?

How frequent is the tram these days please? Is it every 6 mins or 12 mins?

Also I presume the tram from near to Morrisons goes all the way to Piccadilly Gardens too? I think a little while ago the tram was stopping at an earlier stop.

Thank you

Pearl

Re: Trams into the city centre

Postby Pearl » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:19 pm

Hi Sarah, I think the tram is pretty chocka in the morning going-to-work-and-school slot and personally I don't even try getting it then, so I can't answer that part of your question I'm afraid.

Yeah, the journey's about twenty minutes, maybe a little more since you sometimes have to hang around in a little queue of trams waiting to go through the St Peters Square bottleneck, which is single track for the next age or so.

From Chorlton, the trams currently go to Victoria (and beyond) rather than Piccadilly, but you could change to Picc at Cornbrook. They're still 12 minutes apart if you're going direct to Victoria, but there are some inbetween that are just going to Cornbrook.

andy_landy

Postby andy_landy » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:00 pm

right, the airport trams only go as far as cornbrook. the east didsbury trams go all the way to bury, which is pretty cool (not that i have much call to head over that way, but still...). so market st is the nearest.

they are still mucking about around st peter square, with a single track only and trams from each direction queueing to go through. so probably add a few extra minutes. dunno what it's like in the mornings though, i've only ever gone through there of an evening.

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:04 pm

Pearl wrote:
From Chorlton, the trams currently go to Victoria (and beyond) rather than Piccadilly

Thank you Pearl ... so for Piccadilly Gardens is St Peters Square the nearest stop without changing?

Thank you

Mr Squirrel

Postby Mr Squirrel » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:34 pm

St Peter's Square station is currently closed while they build a new bigger station. That's due to open next summer.

The Market Street stop is within sight of Piccadilly gardens - 1 minute walk.

If you've just missed a direct Bury tram, it is worth getting the next tram to Cornbrook. There are very frequent trams there coming from Eccles and Altrincham heading into Piccadilly or Market St. It will be quicker than waiting 12 mins for the next Bury tram.
A short attention span is very... Oh look, chocolate!

Return to “Discussions”