Best route to Charlotte Street

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Sarah_B

Best route to Charlotte Street

Postby Sarah_B » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:41 pm

At present the journey by car into the city centre is taking a lot longer than normal due to part of the Mancunian Way being closed.

I was wondering if anybody drove into the city centre in the morning and what they thought was the best route?

Also I think from 1st November Princess Street will be two way however I'm not sure how quickly the traffic will move.

What do people think is the fastest route to Charlotte Street these days by car? I currently go to the Chester Road roundabout (due to the Mancunian Way slip road being closed) then over the Manunian Way and then past Piccadilly train station and then join the top of Portland Street by the Britannia hotel.

Thank you in advance for any faster alternative routes to Charlotte Street.

munchkin

Re: Best route to Charlotte Street

Postby munchkin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:50 pm

I know this is not what you were asking but... why on earth would you want to drive in to MCR in the morning ? Charlotte street is pretty close to a Bus and a Tram stop and either would surely be easier ?

Just curious

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:51 pm

I just saw your other thread !!

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:11 pm

Sarah, your route is pretty much the one that the taxi / private hire drivers use these days, often while apologising for it taking so long . . . .

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:09 pm

munchkin wrote:
... why on earth would you want to drive in to MCR in the morning ? Charlotte street is pretty close to a Bus and a Tram stop and either would surely be easier ?

Just curious

If I can just put the environment to one side and only focus on journey times .....

The journey by car is quicker than by bus ... and you have the journey to the bus stop and the waiting for the bus time too.

Taking a tram ... I'm still unsure where the nearest tram stop is in the city centre to Piccadilly Gardens however from what Pearl said, it sounds like the tram is rammed. Also my journey to the tram stop takes 10 minutes and then there will be a wait too.

So I guess I think the journey in the morning by car is the quickest (happy to be proved wrong though) but it definitely is in the evenings .....

lister

Postby lister » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:03 pm

When I've had to drive in I've found your route to be best - sometimes you can get lucky continuing up chester rd and turning right immediately after the Hilton, then heading past pevril o' the peak etc and Portland street, though that's been pretty terrible recently.

I can make it by bike in 15-20 mins.

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:50 am

I go to work in the city centre in the mornings, usually around peak rush hour. I find that the tram can be quicker both ways even with a good 10 minutes walk to the stop.

Return to “Discussions”