The Grove/Seymour pub?

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Jesse M.

The Grove/Seymour pub?

Postby Jesse M. » Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:59 am

Hi there. I'm an American who lived in the vicinity during a semester at the University of Manchester, and then again for about 6 months after graduating college (this was in 1990 and '91). My girlfriend and I worked as bartenders at the Grove for about six months -- one of the most interesting jobs I've ever had. We became friends with many of the regulars and missed them when we left (although there were some rough nights there too -- I learned how to get out of the way of pub brawlers, a fairly useful lesson). I'm just curious whether the pub's still operating and what it's like these days.

It's been over 12 years, but my memories of Manchester in general and Chorlton in particular are nothing but warm. I hope to return sometime.

elliej

Seymour Grove

Postby elliej » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:53 am

Sadly the pub was recently demolished to make way for new flats. I was a regular around that time, what a great atmosphere. You can't get that these days, maybe because 'smoking' in pubs is not tolerated/overlooked like it used to be!

Jesse M.

Grove pub

Postby Jesse M. » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:10 am

Oh no, it's gone? I'm sorry to hear that. Little bit of my personal history there. Thank you for the update, though.

Louise

Postby Louise » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:17 pm

It almost dissapeared overnight, before anyone could object.

I think too many significant Victorian properties have been demolished in that area to be replaced by no value apartments.

annie

scandal #476

Postby annie » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:16 pm

The Seymour had a fire, which killed off the pub, then the land was eventually sold to greedy flat developer. Seymour was demolished amidst horror from locals (foul play likely) .. how could such a building, which was surely listed be demolished with permission?)

Land now gone to seed since legal wrangles prevent said greedy flat developer (not to mention Emma Hatton's "sole agency" in ambulance-chasing mode, as the company seems to do.... she's killing Chorlton you know!)

So there you are... history of corporate greed and the beginning of the death of Chorlton

p. webb

Postby p. webb » Sun May 23, 2004 6:35 pm

I dont think its fair to blame Emma Hattons for destroying chorlton. Try blaming Tony Blair for making a housing bubble (which will pop, by the way).

If house prices run away from inflation and other markets cool (such as the stock market and indirectly pensions and savings), you quite naturally create an unequal demand for that product. Think of East India Trading Company as an example (read your history books boys and girls!).

Tony has relaxed regulation on the financial industry - so we have the new "buy to let" mortage the "self cert" mortage the "interest only" mortage ...and all combinations of the aforementioned. Peoples' wages have not increased with house prices but lending has become easier, the old 3.5 multiples are out the window, the new buzz is "renting for profit". That is what is driving the need for new flats - just look at the old Corneilues hotel. New flats all with "To Let" signs. nobody actually lives there.

If you want these flats to stop, tell Tony you want higher inflation, your house price to crash through the floor and to join the rest of the world in recession. The only thing that has kept us afloat is people borrowing money off their homes to buy goods and services.

Think about it, there is not that many houses for sale anywhere, nobody is moving they are just borrowing money off the house because it seems to be worth more than they paid for it...so supply and deamand comes into play..those houses that are for sale demand a premium because if you dont buy this one, there isnt another one to offer you.

It's a sticking plaster on a broken leg...not much use.

This bubble will pop, then all the work will stop, interest rates will rise, business' will go bust, people will be made unemployed...AND ALL IS RIGHT WITH THE WORLD ONCE AGAIN!!!

I give it another year ...max

Henke

Re:

Postby Henke » Sat May 02, 2009 10:33 pm

p. webb wrote:I dont think its fair to blame Emma Hattons for destroying chorlton. Try blaming Tony Blair for making a housing bubble (which will pop, by the way).

If house prices run away from inflation and other markets cool (such as the stock market and indirectly pensions and savings), you quite naturally create an unequal demand for that product. Think of East India Trading Company as an example (read your history books boys and girls!).

Tony has relaxed regulation on the financial industry - so we have the new "buy to let" mortage the "self cert" mortage the "interest only" mortage ...and all combinations of the aforementioned. Peoples' wages have not increased with house prices but lending has become easier, the old 3.5 multiples are out the window, the new buzz is "renting for profit". That is what is driving the need for new flats - just look at the old Corneilues hotel. New flats all with "To Let" signs. nobody actually lives there.

If you want these flats to stop, tell Tony you want higher inflation, your house price to crash through the floor and to join the rest of the world in recession. The only thing that has kept us afloat is people borrowing money off their homes to buy goods and services.

Think about it, there is not that many houses for sale anywhere, nobody is moving they are just borrowing money off the house because it seems to be worth more than they paid for it...so supply and deamand comes into play..those houses that are for sale demand a premium because if you dont buy this one, there isnt another one to offer you.

It's a sticking plaster on a broken leg...not much use.

This bubble will pop, then all the work will stop, interest rates will rise, business' will go bust, people will be made unemployed...AND ALL IS RIGHT WITH THE WORLD ONCE AGAIN!!!

I give it another year ...max

While this guy was out by a couple of years, he spoke some serious sense - though I see s/he didn't have many takers at the time. Funny that. :D

paul 1

Re: The Grove/Seymour pub?

Postby paul 1 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:15 am

HI just read what happend to the Seymour Hotel,
if anyone is interested i have started a groupe on Facebook called ( i went to the Seymour pub)
feel free to jion, all the best paul,

Return to “Discussions”