The gentrification of Beech Road

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
simmy

The gentrification of Beech Road

Postby simmy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:49 pm

Myself and a few friends are at odds on whether Beech Rd is attracting a different crowd to say 10'years ago. I think it is (more 'professional' or 'Cheshire' for want of a better description) and they say not (it's always been like that). To me the row of bars and restaurants opposite the bus terminal on Barlow Moor Road now feels more like Beech Road 10 years ago to me. What do people think?

munchkin

Re: The gentrification of Beech Road

Postby munchkin » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:54 am

Totally agree - I look at the Launderette and think 'Didsbury'. The Lead Station is/was a bit smart like that but it was the exception on that road whereas now it seems to be more of the norm.

I love the vibe of the (relatively) new strip opposite the bus station. Reminds me of what it used to be like bluenote, beech, bar, etc

Mr Squirrel

Postby Mr Squirrel » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:37 am

The Launderette in particular seems to attract "Cheshire" people - it sometimes looks & sounds like it's in Wilmslow or Alderley Edge.

** Activate the Stereotyping Alarm! **
A short attention span is very... Oh look, chocolate!

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:36 pm

Yes I agree I do think Beech Road is attracting more of the 'professional/Cheshire' crowd – definitely so in the Laundrette (which is why I try and avoid the Laundrette) and yes the row of bars and restaurants opposite the bus terminal are how I remember Beech Road of 10 years ago.

lister

Postby lister » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:17 pm

Beech Road was at its best about 5 years ago. Strangely a lot of people who now frequent it call it Beach Road.

yoss

Postby yoss » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:25 pm

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:27 pm

I'm not sure it's a different crowd from 10 years ago but I'd say it's definitely a different crowd from 20 years ago.

I don't really know what gentrification means though. If Chorlton is being subject to this, is it a good thing or a bad thing?

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:14 am

getting posher innit ? people who move here now must have a lot of cash to afford it.

another thing is that i live near sandy lane and on a friday and saturday evening there are a lot of cars parked up there so i guess chorlton has become somewhere to go out of an evening even if you don't live here.

Phila

Postby Phila » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:33 pm

Have to agree. Still love San Juan but abhor the Laundry. Have you seen the rank grease running over the pavement down the side of it. Some nights it's like being on Deansgate.

Richard_H

Postby Richard_H » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:38 pm

I too tend to look at Beech Road (and the rest of Chorlton, really) over a 20-year period and I liked it better then than now: wider range of shops, fewer trendy bars, less traffic, etc) - though I don't miss the rowdy nights on the Green (or all the kids in the Horse and Jockey) on hot nights like tonight.

But I do need to bear in mind that I'm an old git and not a trendy young thing these days, I suppose...

Return to “Discussions”