Unity Festival

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
suilebhan

Unity Festival

Postby suilebhan » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:59 pm

I have a series of photographs from the Unity festival in Chorlton in 1994 that I'll be exhibiting from March 16th-April 6th at the Crown and Kettle, Great Ancoats St/Oldham Rd in Manchester. I would like to write some acvpmpanying, historically accurate text but researching the event has proved extremely difficult. I've emailed Unity through their website (which seems to be the only available option) but have received no reply. Does anyone have any contacts at Unity? Perhaps you were there or performed on the day. Any information or memories however slight would be appreciated. I have a photograph of someone clutching a crumpled poster from the day and have deciphered the following text- One day free event unity festival, rage against the nazis 94 New fads kaliphz rachel airplane (?) and the quintessentials, concrete nation, johnny dangerously, slow bongo floyd and... (?), freedom masses toss the feathers, c charely rw jack alley (?) whiskey flowers, soul fingers. Buskers welcome, circus performances, childrens events, theatre groups music workshops Comperes anthony h wilson and robert ----lane(?) 2nd july 1994 I look forward to hearing from you.

ptopping

Re: Unity Festival

Postby ptopping » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:48 am

Hi Suilebhan, I have just been in conversation with Alan Hollingum who I believe was in a B&W photo at your exhibition at The Crown & Kettle (He is the chap in 70s attire). Together with local historian Andrew Simpson we are writing a book featuring "Characters" from Chorlton and would like to use your photograph please.

We are also looking for anyone with any other pics of our famous Chorlton characters and full credit will be given in the book.

We have written other books together... Didsbury Through Time, Hough End Hall - The Story, and 2 books about Manchester Pubs in the City Centre and Chorlton... Manchester Pubs - City Centre and Manchester Pubs - Chorlton-cum-Hardy

Regards Peter

Return to “Discussions”