Chorlton what's happened

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Paul 63

Chorlton what's happened

Postby Paul 63 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:38 am

I left chorlton in 1979 all was good and all was great there was lovely little shops all over the place safeways was in the precinct there was pubs everywhere and one Indian takeaway called Charles on Wilbraham rd under the lamplite disco now you can't move for arty farty wine bars and takeaways the last time I seen a place so taken apart as this was London a place where you can't find a londonder come on chorltonians your loosing your identity sort it out

yoss

Re: Chorlton what's happened

Postby yoss » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:56 am

I'm afraid you are mistaken. There weren't that many pubs.

Paul 63

Postby Paul 63 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:31 am

OK maybe not that many pubs but to a kid of fifteen it seemed a lot I recently walked past the bus depot and I could have been in kushadasi in turkey there was that many bars and eateries only thing missing was the sea how on earth can all of those be in one line and make a profit there used to be some great shops there all individual and interesting

yoss

Postby yoss » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:19 am

I've been in Chorlton since 1981 and at that time I think there were around 7 or 8 licensed pubs most of which were dreadful. The Beech was probably the best of a bad lot - at that time still an 'irish' pub serving a few rubbish keg beers and an imitation real ale called IIRC 'chesters bitter'.

You're absolutely correct about the loss of shops, and this is a real shame, but basically its just a question of market forces. People would seemingly use their money elsewhere and there are few people who like to run shops just to add a bit of interesting local colour to a place. This is of course not taking in to account the very high level of business rates which have also forced a lot of the local traders away.

On the other hand, there is a great bar and restaurant scene (try listing the good places to eat that Chorlton had in 1980), it seems to me that this isn't a bad swap for a bunch of third rate shoe shops - of which Chorlton had plenty.

Paul 63

Postby Paul 63 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:59 am

I agree that there was a few shoe shops in chorlton but if as you say the rental costs are so high and that's why well established businesses such as quarmby's liptons supermarket and many others had to close with no real competition around them then how can a whole row of eateries and takeaways manage to make enough profit each to pay all there staff pay rental and overheads and make enough profit to keep there bmw porche or Mercedes on the road legally it baffles me but then I'm just an ordinary hard working guy who nowadays can't afford a nite out in chorlton I used to be the dj in the lamplite club on Wilbraham rd I used to get out of there at about half 2 and go next door to Charlies for a curry that was enough for us back then

yoss

Postby yoss » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:37 pm

Ha, I expect I staggered in to hear you dj a few times, though I can't remember Charlies at all. We used to go to the Canadian Charcoal Pit (oldest takeaway in Chorlton?) and wobble back with their horrible burgers.

In truth I don't think most of the bars and restaurants that have replaced the old shops make a whole lot of money, but quite a few of their customers do. I suspect if they weren't there the shops would be empty though.

Paul 63

Postby Paul 63 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:32 pm

Yeah your probably right given the financial climate we live in anyway nice to know you may have been a customer at the club if you saw me you would remember as I was only seventeen in 81 and small although I looked taller because the dj booth was off the floor right next to the dance floor

Return to “Discussions”