Chorlton Green tourists in full effect

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
sidecar

Chorlton Green tourists in full effect

Postby sidecar » Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:21 am

Bank holiday. A bit of sunshine. And here they come!

With their car stereos and their cans of skol. It's like Stretford's back garden.

And by the end of the day, as night falls over sleepy Chorlton, a select few of this band will be chosen for the midnight run. They will totter the streets singing snatches of songs, bumping into wheelie bins and having impassioned lovers' tiffs at full volume.

And the next morning the residents of Chorlton Green will pick their way past the litter, the cans, the fallen bodies and the multi-hued vomit, and purchase their Observer from Etchells' Emporium Of Oddness.

The wheel turns. All is right with the world.

Deus

Postby Deus » Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:10 pm

Maybe we should introduce passports and have some sort of checkpoint for entering Chorlton.
:wink:
deus does not exist

Chardonnay

Postby Chardonnay » Tue May 04, 2004 12:01 pm

Perhaps a moat?

Every can of Skol found on the green after a weekend knocks £5 of the value of my house.

All these lumpen proles shouting "we dun had a row" in my street, leaning up against the TT until the early hours, do these people own homes of their own?

When I lived in Primrose Hill there were armed patrols to help eradicate this kind of thing. I'd love a similar scheme to introduced up here. Anyone else?

sidecar

Postby sidecar » Tue May 04, 2004 12:25 pm

It's good to see you're getting into the spirit of the thing.

I've nothing against these people. They make damn fine shop assistants and road sweepers. I think it's great that they want to enjoy the sunshine in a little green oasis in our bustling urban city.

But they must learn some manners. What if I came round to their gaff and shouted the odds and vomited on their paths? What if I played Mantovani or Tortoise at 150 decibels while they were sleeping in at midday?

Perhaps a gated community is the only way. ID cards, hummus and sandals, otherwise you're not on the list pal.

Three Wheeled Pram

Postby Three Wheeled Pram » Tue May 04, 2004 12:35 pm

I agree. I think it's a bizarre rule of society that allows people to cross freely across a suburb of a city anyway. I mean, first sign of sunshine I don't head for Stretford with an olive take-out from Unicorn and sit outside the Drum, do I?
An Isreali-style peace wall would be a good solution.

DW

Postby DW » Wed May 05, 2004 10:52 am

... I fully agree that the Green can be busy/noisy/dirty/full of old hippies and scallies but it is only for two or three months of the year, and the council/landlords and landladies do a good job of cleaning it up each morning.

To born and bred Chorltonians this is part of it's character - in the winter months it's peaceful and quite beautiful.

You can always move if you don't like it...

Deus

Postby Deus » Wed May 05, 2004 1:29 pm

I think a large moat and turn the whole of Chorlton Green into a castle....and pour boiling oil over anyone with their car stereo on, and a day in the stocks for anyone who leaves litter.

:wink:
deus does not exist

Louise

Postby Louise » Thu May 06, 2004 9:02 am

I think we should set up a Chorlton hunt. Interested people could form a group and perhaps get some funding, from local businesses or the council( as a group with civic pride in mind) Then buy a few AK47's and meet on the green on a fine summer evening and annihilate a few of them.

Deus

Postby Deus » Thu May 06, 2004 10:40 am

DW wrote:... I fully agree that the Green can be busy/noisy/dirty/full of old hippies and scallies but it is only for two or three months of the year, and the council/landlords and landladies do a good job of cleaning it up each morning.

To born and bred Chorltonians this is part of it's character - in the winter months it's peaceful and quite beautiful.

You can always move if you don't like it...

I don't agree with this.
* If it's vaguely sunny then people congregate on the Green which adds up to more than 2 or 3 months.
* There have been many times this year (already) when the litter hasn't been cleaned straight away and is just left there. And if people aren't drinking from the pubs why should the landlords clean it up.
* You are telling people that have lived on the Green for years just to move.....
* Just because someone isn't born and bred in Chorlton doesn't mean they are excluded from opinions about this noise and mess.

Joking aside I'd like to see some changes to the Green so everyone can enjoy it (without car stereos blaring).
:shock:
deus does not exist

Ian

Postby Ian » Thu May 06, 2004 11:24 am

I fully understand it must be annoying for people that live there but as far as I can remember its been like that for at least the last ten years and probably more.

The Green is public land and people from all over have the right to use it, not just people form Chorlton. However they do not have the right to drop litter every where.

As for the noise well if you live near pubs then you will expect noise and the Hourse and Jockey has been there centuries so its not like they suddenly built a pub last year.

I do feel that it is important that the pubs in Chorlton do tend to stay mainly for locals though otherwise it could end up like Didsbury and Cheadle which often experience pub fights at weekends.

I think people who live near the Green need to respect that its public land and people who don't live near by need to respect the residents and not leave it such a mess.

Dropping litter is not on regardless of where it is. For now lets just be thanful that Chorlton has a green as its a lovely place in all seasons.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Fri May 07, 2004 2:04 am

It's a positive to thing you live in an area that people want to come to, as opposed to living in an area that people want to stay away from! Always a good sign.
the road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

Deus

Postby Deus » Fri May 07, 2004 9:56 am

Ian wrote:I fully understand it must be annoying for people that live there but as far as I can remember its been like that for at least the last ten years and probably more.

As for the noise well if you live near pubs then you will expect noise and the Hourse and Jockey has been there centuries so its not like they suddenly built a pub last year.

I know the Green has always been busy and full of people but did they always play car stereos ?

You expect noise from pubs and you get the all year round but the music on the Green a different noise from that. :!:
deus does not exist

elliej

Postby elliej » Fri May 07, 2004 7:02 pm

Glad to see the conversation is drifting away from working-class bashing and wild generalisations - shame on you 'liberal' Chorltonites.
Though to be fair, if there were a Stretfordweb (and I haven't checked) maybe they would be dissing the 'posh nobs' who descend on the inner cities in search of drugs, a bit of rough or a cheap supply of olives.
In my experience it's middle-class kids who behave atrociously for their indulgent parents, and working-class kids who have manners and social skills instilled into them young.
Regarding litter - I agree, even with bins almost every 10 feet standards have slipped so much that many people (usually young) just discard it without thinking. Bring back the cane!
The Green is a great part of Chorlton summers, though I don't live there so maybe the music is annoying - does it go on really late?

Deus

Postby Deus » Mon May 10, 2004 7:57 am

EllieJ wrote:The Green is a great part of Chorlton summers, though I don't live there so maybe the music is annoying - does it go on really late?

It goes on after the pubs have shut.

The point is though why should anyone (whatever class) play loud music at all.
deus does not exist

Louise

Postby Louise » Mon May 10, 2004 10:52 am

I dont think the situation at the Green has changed in time I have lived here which is about 28 years. Doesnt seem any better or any worse to me. Perhaps the music is a little louder.

Return to “Discussions”