Aircraft Noise

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Flis

Aircraft Noise

Postby Flis » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:02 pm

There has been a definate increase in low flying aircraft incidents since late spring 2006. I see from postings that a number of people are unhappy about this. I have contacted Manchester Airport in July and was given the excuse about hot weather and wind direction. Since then I have been monitoring the incidents that occured over, or near, my home. What I was told by the Airport does not add up, especially since the noise is still continuing in October.

I beleive that the Airport has a rather high handed attitude and would like to form a lobbying group. I would like to get them to address the fact that sleep deprivation resulting from the noise makes people ill, particularly people who cannot afford double glazing and air conditioning, and that people need some peace and quiet at the weekend to recharge their batteries etc. I, for one, cannot stand another summer like this last one.

I am not exactly sure what is the best way of proceeding with this and would welcome any suggestions. I am really not familiar with sites such as this and don't really understand how they work or the potential; so advice welcome. For example, what is a poll in this context?

If the noise is bothering you, I think a key thing to do, and the start of this process, is keep as much of a log as possible including full details of the weather. An archive of the last 30 days of hourly data for a selection of weather stations is freely available on the Met Office web site at www.metoffice.gov.uk. I know it's a pain to do but without evidence there is no argument.

Also, does anyone know if there is an equivalent to Chorlton web for Didsbury and areas of Manchester futher south because it would be good to get a large group of people together to protest about this.

I enclose an email address (f.cotham@tiscali.co.uk) if anyone would like to conatact me direct but you can also reply on this forum. (I hope I'll be able to work out how access replies.)

Thanks for your help & looking forward to hearing from you.
Best regards
Flis

Deus

Postby Deus » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:16 am

The noise bothers me and I think it's got steadily worse over the years. I used to think there is no point complaining but the airport always quote how little complaints they get and therefore the people of Manchester aren't annoyed by noise. So we could do with getting a large amount of people to complain to the airport themselves even just for statistics sake.
deus does not exist

boldaslove

Postby boldaslove » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:44 pm

weirdly enough i was out in my back yard yesterday morning chatting on the phone and a plane, full size, came roaring across the horizon, it was so low i could see the wheels coming down, i absolutely cacked myself!

it's always worried me a little bit being this close to the airport. i've noticed there's a lot of light aircraft flying very low to the ground around here, quite late at night sometimes. i wonder if they're police surveillence?

Louise

Postby Louise » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:12 pm

I dont know what you will think will happen if you complain. The planes must be flying at that height for a reason, its not just that the pilot is too lazy to go any higher.

The airport has been there for 60 years and its not going away

annie

Postby annie » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:25 pm

I hardly notice them. In summer it was quite pretty seeing them in the sky stacked up over Chorlton! I like planes, in general.

I sympathise with those who find the noise troublesome, however... I doubt I'd last long living near the airport...(see... i'm not a complete bitch :)

Deus

Postby Deus » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:42 pm

I spent most of today at home with my baby and there wasn't a moment when there wasn't a plane going over. It was very noisy and that's with no windows or doors open and I could hear it over my daytime tv - how inconsiderate. Chorlton meadows must be directly under the flight path.
deus does not exist

BASTION

Postby BASTION » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:18 am

Boss! De plane! De plane!

annie

Postby annie » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:58 am

I live near a main road y'see... so I suppose the traffic cancels out the planes. Maybe if I was rich enough to afford a house in a lovely quiet part of Chorlton, I'd notice :(

Louise

Postby Louise » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:10 pm

Is that what it is?

Because I have been listening all morning and I havn't heard anything.

fiz67

Postby fiz67 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:22 pm

i'd don't notice them either must be on the poor side of chorlton too, i live off claridge road, i can see them at night lining up to land though way out east i think (?) but no noise 4/5 coming in behind each other eeek !

mnkiboy

Postby mnkiboy » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:41 pm

The noise doesn't bother me, though I can sympathise with people who are sensitive to it.

The problem is that planes in and out of Manchester airport are always going to be going over head. What do you expect to achieve by protesting against it? Perhaps the pilots will be polite enough to switch the engines off and glide in?

Worse than the noise of planes in and out of Manchester are the Police helicopter and especially the plane, which one night the other week was flying around at about 2am. Also the sound of people using my street as a rat run tends to grate. There's no need for people to be driving at 50mph down a quiet residential street.

boldaslove

Postby boldaslove » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:53 pm

the noise doesn't bother me persay, i just don't like planes full stop!

adoptedmanc

Re: Aircraft Noise

Postby adoptedmanc » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:28 pm

I used to live about a mile from the end of Newcastle Airport runway, when you grow up with jets roaring off every half an hour it takes a lot of noise to get my goat. I've actually got to the point where sirens going past my house sooth me!
So tomorrow will be very calming, especially when the derby finishes.
There is no god, now go and enjoy life!

Drew09

Re: Aircraft Noise

Postby Drew09 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:07 am

Nice post!

Return to “Discussions”