Logging in probs, and avatars

This would be a good place to to make comments and suggestons about the new chorlton.web community board - content, organisation, appearance and more.
digger

Logging in probs, and avatars

Postby digger » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:46 am

Couple of questions on the forum:
1. Why do I sometimes have to login twice? I select "login" from the top link and complete uname/password but can still see the "you cannot post" messages at the bottom of the page. When I login a second time, all is OK. Incidentally whenever this happens, I also have to logout twice before I disappear from the "online users" list.

2. Would you consider enabling avatars for the forum? I think it adds a bit of colour.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:20 pm

1) Sorry - I have absolutely no idea...feel free to consult the various web resources at PHPBB...
2) At the moment I have no plans to enable avatars - I will see what sort of resources they would require, and make a decision.

mark

Deus

Postby Deus » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:46 pm

If I login once I reach the forum then when I choose post relpy I have to login again to actually post something.

That shouldn't happen on pHpBB as it doesn't on other boards.
deus does not exist

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:43 pm

I'll upgrade the board to the latest version in the next day or so; hopefully that will <sigh> fix the problems</sigh>.
mark

digger

Postby digger » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:14 am

admin wrote:2) At the moment I have no plans to enable avatars - I will see what sort of resources they would require, and make a decision.

You should be able to limit avatar size (to 50k, say). You currently have 300 registered members. Assuming they all registered an avatar (which they won't, because some of them won't be bothered and a lot of them will be dormant members who no longer post) that would require a maximum of 15MB. In practice it will be a lot less.

Deus

Postby Deus » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:57 am

Still having problems with login. I logged in at the front page and it says at the bottom I am logged in but at the top it still says "login" and I have to login again to post.
deus does not exist

digger

Postby digger » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:12 pm

I'm still having to login more than once sometimes too. A search of the phpBB support forums reveals this fix:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=228741

Mark - you will have to download the file and execute it as per instructions in that forum link to fix this problem.

Oh and BTW - I noticed while I was there that phpBB supports "remote avatars" so there's no need to allocate any space on your server if you go with this option. Users have to have a website or other online repository from where their avatar can be loaded.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:53 pm

OK - I've applied the fix; much thanks, Digger!
Remote avatars have, btw, been enabled for a week or three (as have 'normal' avatars, tho' I think I'd need to download some from phpBB to make any available).
Logging-in problem reports please!!

Kita Mura

Postby Kita Mura » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:32 pm

Try as I might, I can't seem to find an avatar with a valid URL for this forum. What am I doing wrong?

Tikka Massala

Postby Tikka Massala » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:45 am

what's the url of the image?

i uploaded my image to imageshack.us.
it provided me with 3 urls linking to my image including 1 especially for use with forums. however the only link chorlton.web would accept as valid was the physical link ie http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/1842/ch0dk.jpg so i just used that one.

if you want a particular avatar from elsewhere you can save it to your computer then upload it to imageshack. hope this helps.

Kita Mura

Postby Kita Mura » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:07 am

Thank you Mr Massala.

Return to “Comments & Suggestions”