To Prune or not...

This would be a good place to to make comments and suggestons about the new chorlton.web community board - content, organisation, appearance and more.
admin
Site Admin

To Prune or not...

Postby admin » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:33 am

Pruning is the activity that deletes topics of conversation once they've gone a set number of days without a reply. In other words, dead topics get deleted.

1) This is a good way of keeping the board size down.

2) This is a bad way of keeping old stuff....!

I must apologise - I recently set up a 14 day prune that automatically deleted quite a lot of old topics. I sort of did this in haste without much thought. It has been pointed out to me - far gentler than I deserve - that this would preclude keeping a historical archive.

So I've turned off pruning (for the time being at least)

Louise

Postby Louise » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:19 pm

I think that sometimes a topic may lie dormant for a while but then be revived because someone comes up with more information or a situation changes. For example, the topic which was discussing the Metrolink. There may be nothing to say at the moment but that could change and then the previous replies and opinions would be useful.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:41 am

The forums would gradually develop into an information resource, and users would utilise forum search to find required information.

And, from an historical point-of-view, it's interesting to have the facilities to look back and see what behaviours and trends there were at certain points in time and also how people reacted to particular events locally or internationally.
the road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:20 pm

well, the consensus seems clear...i'll leave well alone.
sorry about the lost topics, everyone :oops:

Return to “Comments & Suggestions”