A Chorlton Business networking organisation?

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
MikeR

Postby MikeR » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:50 am

i had marmite on toast for my brekkie today. with a cup o coffee.

the square on the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares on the other two sides

archimedes

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:39 am

future billionaires only have coffee for breakfast.
could do a 'coffee 'n fag outside' club for wannabe entrepreneurs...sort of a 'business notwork'.

fluffygrue

Postby fluffygrue » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:49 pm

We'd be potentially up for some local business mingling, tho it would depend on when/where it was. And how early it was, as I'm not a morning person. ;)

Steve Dubya
Location: Levenshulme as the Chelsea tractor driving yuppies lifted Chorlton house prices out of my reach.

Postby Steve Dubya » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:18 pm

Sounds like a modern version of the Freemasons to me.
Atheism ROCKS!

Louise

Postby Louise » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:30 pm

Yeah sounds like that to me as well.

The Order of the Egg McMuffin.

Roll up your trouser leg and spread marmalade on your left nipple

Steve Dubya
Location: Levenshulme as the Chelsea tractor driving yuppies lifted Chorlton house prices out of my reach.

Postby Steve Dubya » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:40 pm

I've just come
Atheism ROCKS!

Dianne

Postby Dianne » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:35 pm

I didn't get chance to have brekkie this morning at my meeting. At boss' new house (site meeting, in process of being built). You'd think he could afford to buy me a bacon buttie considering new place is going to be worth around £6m but then again he is Jewish!

annie

Postby annie » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:19 pm

Another troll alert...

sigh... :roll:

Tikka Massala

Postby Tikka Massala » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:41 pm

dianne you're really beginning to bore me. yaaaawwn...

Steve Dubya

Postby Steve Dubya » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:42 pm

Dianne wrote:I didn't get chance to have brekkie this morning at my meeting. At boss' new house (site meeting, in process of being built). You'd think he could afford to buy me a bacon buttie considering new place is going to be worth around £6m but then again he is Jewish!

I know plenty of (non orthodox) jews who eat pork.

I also know plenty who dont.

I know plenty of jews who are not tight fisted.

I also know plenty who are tighter than any Yorkshireperson I've ever met.

Please don't call Dianne boring folks. She lves in Lymme, it's not her fault. Besides, shes quite interesting for someone from Lymme.
Atheism ROCKS!

Louise

Postby Louise » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:59 pm

Steve Dubya wrote:I've just come

This combination of marmalade and orgasm

You didnt live in Whitelow Road in the 80's by any chance?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:35 am

Dianne wrote:I didn't get chance to have brekkie this morning at my meeting. At boss' new house (site meeting, in process of being built). You'd think he could afford to buy me a bacon buttie considering new place is going to be worth around £6m but then again he is Jewish!

Just seen this.
Dianne might, of course, simply be referring to the 'bacon buttie' element when referring to her boss' religion. I very much hope so. Dianne?
mark/admin/jew

Steve Dubya

Postby Steve Dubya » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:05 am

admin wrote:

Just seen this.
Dianne might, of course, simply be referring to the 'bacon buttie' element when referring to her boss' religion. I very much hope so. Dianne?
mark/admin/jew

It's a reasonable stereotype. Some Jews buy rounds, but I knew plenty who would only offer other Jews jobs and always negociate what they would get in return if I asked them for a favour. It's a clultural thing.
Atheism ROCKS!

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:12 pm

It's a racist stereotype.
I know some white Anglo-Saxons who are racist, but I don't think that calling all whites 'racist' would be reasonable.

Steve Dubya

Postby Steve Dubya » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:56 pm

Sorry but the stereotype originates from somewhere. I'm not saying all human beings who are follow the Jewish faith are tight (I know some very generous Jews), but a lot of orthodox Jews I've come accross do tend to negociate in a buisness like manner when I ask them for a favour.

My (Jewish) housemate at Uni would often ask me what he's get in return for a favour. Similarly he would ask me what I wanted from him if he needed a favour from me. But we both went for a pint with someone from my course who offered my Jewish friend a part time job in is dads factory, he said I needed a job but the bloke was not comfortable with that. When my mate asked for an explanation he said, "My father won't take him on". He left soon after.

But it's not racist, it's a comment about the source of the stereotype and I have to say in my experience a higher of proportion of orthodox Jews are less willing to do favours or be generous to than gentiles unless they are dealing with people of a similarly strict background.

I'm not saying Jews are tight fisted, I'm saying that certain communities who happen to be Jewish are bought up and educated to be that way.

Besides, I often joke about it with the Jews I know best and they return with an equally stereotypical comment about me. You might not find it funny but they do.
Atheism ROCKS!

Return to “Discussions”