Citybranch has sold the precinct

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
yoss

Re: Citybranch has sold the precinct

Postby yoss » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:26 pm

You forgot the veg shops [very average], and the frozen food shop. Not that I'm that bothered about the shops, just bundle the whole thing up and hurl it into a volcano. It's awful.

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:35 pm

matt wrote:I'm not saying they should all go, but arguing these are the bastion of the 'old chorlton' is weak.

I didn't say that. I am not sure why you think I did.

OK, you have made it clear you don't like the shops in the precinct - what would you have in their place ?

yoss wrote:You forgot the veg shops [very average], and the frozen food shop. Not that I'm that bothered about the shops, just bundle the whole thing up and hurl it into a volcano. It's awful.

same question

yoss

Postby yoss » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:38 pm

Anything. Mud.

Louise

Postby Louise » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:25 pm

Boots are filling a major percentage of the prescriptions issued in Chorlton plus selling all the other stuff that people want to buy in a non personal fashion, constipation medicine and Anusol and other similar potions. I think it's as much a social service as a shop. Frosts is the only decent butcher in Chorlton.

Anyone with common sense will take the best out of what's offered and not worry about what other people might think of them for shopping there. Because I lived up the precinct end of Chorlton I very rarely visited the shops on Beech Rd. I didn't miss them particularly.

digger

Postby digger » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:57 pm

Go to agree about Beech Road. Shops so small you can barely swing a hamster selling overpriced "designer" tat that no-one in their right mind would touch, and a preponderance of pretentious bars and eateries.

Nice architecture though.

So Chorlton appears to be polarised between rubbish shops in nice old buildings and (at least some) good shops in awful 60s/70s buildings.

We are doomed to never enjoy the best of both worlds. Such is the Chorlton experience. But at least we can get our hands on some Anusol.
Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

yoss

Postby yoss » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:03 pm

To avoid embarrassment, I always buy my anusol online. It's annoying that they insist on shipping it in a giant pink box with "URGENT ANUSOL" written on it.

yoss

Postby yoss » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:23 pm

I very rarely visited the shops on Beech Rd. I didn't miss them particularly.

You probably bought your twigs in a vase from Wilkinsons.

annie

Postby annie » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:29 pm

digger wrote:Go to agree about Beech Road. Shops so small you can barely swing a hamster selling overpriced "designer" tat that no-one in their right mind would touch, and a preponderance of pretentious bars and eateries.

^^ This...
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

Louise

Postby Louise » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:59 pm

yoss wrote:
I very rarely visited the shops on Beech Rd. I didn't miss them particularly.

You probably bought your twigs in a vase from Wilkinsons.

How dare you!

massolina

Postby massolina » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:25 am

Oh for the good old days of Chorlton when it was a proper shopping centre.
A music shop, a China shop , 3 shoe shops 5 womens wear, 4 menswear, a wool shop, a pet shop, a really good hardware shop, lingerie, fabric, electrical, paint and decorating, toys, records, a cobblers, quality furniture, a furriers , lighting, beds and bedding, 4 butchers, 3 jewelllers and not one a chain, ah memories memories !

BeechBum

Postby BeechBum » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:23 am

yoss wrote:Just a personal opinion like, and I've probably said it before, but if (say) the precinct was deleted from the entire space/time continuum I think that the world would be a slightly better place.

I am with you on that one. Any of the decent retailers would hoover up vacant or underrented units in the rest of Chorlton and the world would once again be at one.

BeechBum

Postby BeechBum » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:27 am

massolina wrote:Oh for the good old days of Chorlton when it was a proper shopping centre.
A music shop, a China shop , 3 shoe shops 5 womens wear, 4 menswear, a wool shop, a pet shop, a really good hardware shop, lingerie, fabric, electrical, paint and decorating, toys, records, a cobblers, quality furniture, a furriers , lighting, beds and bedding, 4 butchers, 3 jewelllers and not one a chain, ah memories memories !

.........and a partridge in a pear treeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

get my coat?

massolina

Postby massolina » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:42 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

skywalker

Postby skywalker » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:36 am

what was on the site of the precinct before it was the precinct? was it just more houses like the rest of the road?
friendly local alarm engineer.
cctv, burglar alarms, intercom systems, and more!

Louise

Postby Louise » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:16 am

it was the continuation of Manchester Road which branched off from Barlow Moor Road. Where the road through the carpark is now was the road and there were Victorian houses on both sides of the road which were demolished, then the road crossed Wilbraham and continued down to High Lane. The only two houses remaining are those two set back from the road next to Croma.

Return to “Discussions”