Nearby bicycle shop?

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Sarah_B

Nearby bicycle shop?

Postby Sarah_B » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:01 pm

There are so many cyclists in Chorlton I am hoping somebody could tell me of a nearby bicycle shop? Either in Chorlton or the city centre please?

I'm thinking I might take up a bit of off-road cycling to keep fit in the summer.

Thanks

ollie_the_brave

Re: Nearby bicycle shop?

Postby ollie_the_brave » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:31 pm

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:20 pm

On the rare occasion I've used a bike shop in Manchester, my favourite was http://www.harryhallcycles.co.uk/ on Whitworth Street in the city centre.

They were friendly, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable. I went in looking for a specific gadget and a bell. They talked me out of buying the (expensive) gadget even though they stocked it, and they gave me the bell for free. And no my name's not Harry or Hall, and I don't work for them.

I hope that was a bit more useful.

sky blue

Postby sky blue » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:28 pm

ollie_the_brave wrote:http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cycle+shop+chorlton

Nice, but leading someone to Ken Fosters (especially if they're a cycling newbie) isn't any help whatsoever.

Harry Hall on the other hand is definitely to be recommended.

ollie_the_brave

Postby ollie_the_brave » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:22 am

Harry Halls is an excellent shop.

However, I'm curious, whats wrong with Ken Fosters? I've never had a problem there in the 3 or 4 visits I've had.

And I am no Bradley Wiggins or Danny Macaskill by any stretch of the imagination.

andy_landy

Postby andy_landy » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:38 am

nothing wrong with ken fosters apart from their prices. every single time i've needed work doing on my bike the actual cost always came in above the estimate. (and just to be clear: absolutely no complaints at all about the quality of the work done). even bits (eg. brake pads, inner tubes) are priced above average.

these days i do almost all bike maintenance myself, and when i need to pick up bits (eg. new chain), i tend to use eddie mcgraths in urmston. i have always found them really helpful, and decently priced too. a bit out of the way for chorlton, but i happen to cycle past on my way to/from work, so convenient for me :)

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:36 am

Fosters have been nailing cyclists in Chorlton for two generations, when I was a kid everyone used a bike shop on High Lane, sadly long gone. As a complete amateur cyclist, I find Halfords at White CIty more than adequate, or the Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative on Wilmslow Road, Rusholme. Anywhere but Fosters.

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:17 pm

Thank you ash pole, sky blue, andy_landy and blenkinsop for your helpful advice and I will go to Harry Halls.

sky blue

Postby sky blue » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:43 pm

ollie_the_brave wrote:Harry Halls is an excellent shop.

However, I'm curious, whats wrong with Ken Fosters? I've never had a problem there in the 3 or 4 visits I've had.

And I am no Bradley Wiggins or Danny Macaskill by any stretch of the imagination.

As others have posted, they are very expensive.

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:35 pm

Sarah_B wrote:Thank you ash pole, sky blue, andy_landy and blenkinsop for your helpful advice and I will go to Harry Halls.

After you've checked out Harry Hall, do visit some other bike shops before you make your decision on a purchase. You may be surprised at the eye watering cost of some branded bikes.

But then again, it might be just me, being a tight @rse...

alr1970

Postby alr1970 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:07 pm

If it's just a repair you're after, the bike place at Jacksons Boat did a good job of replacing the forks and wheel of a bike of ours after they suffered some unwated bendyness. I think they call themselves the bike barn.

ania

Postby ania » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:26 pm

Yes, Bike Barn is the way forward. I have been using a bike shop for repairs for years, and recently been told my bike is beyond repair as it wasn't cost effective.
Arek from Bike Bran offered to have a look, he brought the bike back in fully working condition and hardly charged me anything. I have been using them ever since. They also pick up my bike from my house, and drop it of when ready.
Recently I needed a puncture sorting out , and he has fixed it in my house within minutes.
Very handy considering I use my bike daily for commuting to and from work.

this is them https://twitter.com/The_Bike_Barn

Ania :)

Louise

Postby Louise » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:16 pm

ania wrote:Yes, Bike Barn is the way forward. I have been using a bike shop for repairs for years, and recently been told my bike is beyond repair as it wasn't cost effective.
Arek from Bike Bran offered to have a look, he brought the bike back in fully working condition and hardly charged me anything. I have been using them ever since. They also pick up my bike from my house, and drop it of when ready.
Recently I needed a puncture sorting out , and he has fixed it in my house within minutes.
Very handy considering I use my bike daily for commuting to and from work.

this is them https://twitter.com/The_Bike_Barn

Ania :)

I like the idea of a Bike Bran. Wholefood and sustainable transport. Very Chorlton

Return to “Discussions”